• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN114: Training Battle of Flames! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Since Paul was revealed to become a Gym Leader, all I have to say is that I feel bad for those poor trainers that will be have to end up challenging him. They will be berated and scarred for life by Paul's attitude and words. lol
I know you're making a joke, but honestly the way he now compliments his Pokemon rather than insulting them, and tries to bring out the best in both his and his opponents Pokemon, makes me believe he'll be a great Gym Leader. That said, I'd like to believe that he still intends to improve and eventually rise up the ranks even more, like Koga becoming an E4 member.

Edit: Interestingly, Paul first displayed the trait of wanting to bring out the best in his opponent's Pokemon during the Sinnoh league, when he decided it was more important for him to see Infernape finally reach it's potential than to actually win the battle, which he arguably could have done in the position he was in.

Last edited:
Mr. Mime was absent in this ep too, I guess it's still at the other lab, lol

I’d settle for him not using his reserves if they were doing a good job of developing his JN team but they kind of already screwed the pooch on that, so it just ends up feeling disappointing since there’s no time to fix any of the issues now, so to me its just a show case of the same kind of battles we’ve seen already in this series.
They've been doing that for months though, Gengar got proper training episodes with Gmax and Will o Wisp, Sirfetch'd and Dracovish had the Clemont episode, Lucario had the Greninja ep to justify its boost in Aura Sphere's power and Dragonite has been losing battles more. There's also some scenes showing Ash was training them at the Vermilion lab even if we only see bits and pieces of it. This isn't like early Journey's where his team was seemingly doing nothing.

Since Paul was revealed to become a Gym Leader, all I have to say is that I feel bad for those poor trainers that will be have to end up challenging him. They will be berated and scarred for life by Paul's attitude and words. lol
Just for clarification, Paul isn't a Gym Leader - he was offered to become one in an undisclosed region, but it wasn't specified at all if he accepted or declined the position. Given that he had praised his Gyarados and Metagross, who lost, and told Electivire to go play (!) with Pikachu and Grookey, I don't think he'd be as biting with his comments as he would have prior.

Just for clarification, Paul isn't a Gym Leader - he was offered to become one in an undisclosed region, but it wasn't specified at all if he accepted or declined the position. Given that he had praised his Gyarados and Metagross, who lost, and told Electivire to go play (!) with Pikachu and Grookey, I don't think he'd be as biting with his comments as he would have prior.
Given that he came to Oak's lab to learn stuff, I have a feeling he's leaning towards accepting. I'd just be interested to find out what Gym it exactly is eventually.

I'm very depressed for the idea of Ash's previous mons being nothing but cheerleaders for this team and upcoming mons. In TWELVE years we only had a 5 minute Charizard vs Dragonite and a 2 minute Infernape vs Moltres (not counting Greninja because it mostly acted on its own), and now it seems like everyone will just be treated like old glories from now on. Sigh...

Fortunately, the episode managed to be enjoyable in spite of that. All of Ash Pokemon got something small to do and it was great to see them having fun together. The battle was mostly good and it fullfilled its purpose of giving new weapons to Ash's "definitive" team. Also, I certainly did not expect to see a mellowed out Paul that would leave his Electivire to play. Should have happened during DP, but better late than never.

Also, it was nice to see my girl Aipom. :bulbaLove:

Last edited:
I'm very depressed for the idea of Ash's previous mons being nothing but cheerleaders for this team and upcoming mons. In TWELVE years we only had a 5 minute Charizard vs Dragonite and a 2 minute Infernape vs Moltres (not counting Greninja because it mostly acted on its own), and now it seems like everyone will just be treated like old glories from now on. Sigh...

Fortunately, the episode managed to be enjoyable in spite of that. All of Ash Pokemon got something small to do and it was great to see them having fun together. The battle was mostly good and it fullfilled its purpose of giving new weapons to Ash's "definitive" team. Also, I certainly did not expect to see a mellowed out Paul that would leave his Electivire to play. Should have happened during DP, but better late than never.

Also, it was nice to see my girl Aipom.
Old glories is fine, while mentoring is even better.
I think most of Ash's aces were there to develop and train his current squad (not Totodile who jumps over Snorlax big belly) and it was realy cool to watch.

Im not into shifting the current team, still in the final round I hope there will be 6 vs 6 and he will bring someone else.. not sure Lucario's spirit bomb friendship or Pika Z move will be enough realy.

(Better late than never)

Not only was this a great and thrilling episode, I'm especially happy that all my theories from the preview thread turned out to be true :giggle::
Paul's three new Pokemon were indeed a reference to the ace Pokemon of the mightiest Champions (Cynthia, Lance and Steven). Ash losing to Garchomp of all Pokemon kind of speaks for itself and I would call it some form of foreshadowing of the battle against Cynthia. Unfortuantely, we all know how that battle has to end.
Even my second theory seems to be true, at least partially: Although Paul only confirmed it indirectly with a smile, he indeed wanted to support and prepare Ash for the Masters Eight by choosing those three Pokemon. But he did it "the Paul way", or as Go put it: "He's way too cool"

Awesome episode! All of Ash's Pokemon and one of his greates rivals were there. A perfect way to get prepared for the greatest tournament in the life of a Pokemon trainer.

Last edited:
Anyone else wanted Ash's mom to step aside and let him get to M8 quick? ;)

Just managed to catch up after being a few eps behind and man, I loved seeing how far Paul has come. Intentionally choosing the M8's aces so Ash gets some battling practice against them was really, really cool. Not to mention letting Electivire go have fun with the other Pokémon and even acknowledging Infernape with a smile. Amazing episode and I didn't even watch most of DP!!

Do wonder if Paul accepted that gym leader position but I won't complain about it being left to my imagination :'}

It was a very rushed episode,Paul pretty much walked in the episode and then quickly walked out but I'm sure most people will be satisfied regardless.I don't recall them mentioning anything about his rematch against Brandon but I'd like to believe that he defeated him since he beat Ash's OP Dragonite with his Garchomp.The fact that Paul's a gym leader just makes Iris look even worse as champion.
Since they left it vague, one could speculate/headcanon Paul beat Brandon, and then Brandon (or Scott the Hawaiian shirt guy) recommended the Viridian gym job to Paul.

Since they left it vague, one could speculate/headcanon Paul beat Brandon, and then Brandon (or Scott the Hawaiian shirt guy) recommended the Viridian gym job to Paul.
But my question to that would be how did he beat Brandon?Did he face all 3 Regis,1 Regi or 1 Regi plus Solrock,Dusclops and Ninjask?Realistically he should be capable of taking down at least 1 like Ash did towards the end of DP.

But outside of that I'm just waiting for when this episode finally gets dubbed.

But my question to that would be how did he beat Brandon?Did he face all 3 Regis,1 Regi or 1 Regi plus Solrock,Dusclops and Ninjask?Realistically he should be capable of taking down at least 1 like Ash did towards the end of DP.

But outside of that I'm just waiting for when this episode finally gets dubbed.
Since he left the Regis at the Snowpoint Temple, it's possible be didn't use them.

Since he left the Regis at the Snowpoint Temple, it's possible be didn't use them.
Easy win for Paul then but that defeats the purpose of him going back to challenge Brandon for a rematch.

Those Regis were a big influence on Paul's obsession with power,defeating his leftovers would just feel underwhelming.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom