• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN115: Opening! Masters Tournament!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I feel like a rematch between Ash-Greninja and Mega Charizard X is kinda pointless at this point considering that Ash-Greninja hasn't had any meaningful developments since its last battle in the Kalos finals. Not only has it spent the past couple of seasons away from Ash, but it doesn't seem like it's gotten that much stronger either considering that its moveset has been shown to still be the same (it still has Cut, for god's sake). Meanwhile, Alain and his Charizard have presumably been training together this entire time, to the point that they've finally regained their Mega Stone.

Rematches are fun when we get to see how both sides have grown since their last battle, but I feel like Ash's Greninja hasn't had enough recent development to warrant a satisfying rematch with Alain's Charizard. Even if only one side of the rematch has had any noticeable growths since their last appearance, then it should be the previous match's loser, not the winner. If Charizard and Greninja were to have a rematch in their current state, then I feel like Charizard would have even more reason to win again considering that, unlike Greninja, it has been training together with its trainer this whole time. If the writers really do bring back Ash-Greninja for the sole purpose of having it defeat Mega Charizard X, then it'll most likely feel quite forced. Almost as if the writers will be screaming into our ears, "HEY, we finally did the thing that everyone's been asking us to do, ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW?"

If Ash really is going to be battling (and defeating) Alain in this tournament, then I'm all for it. But oddly enough, I feel like Greninja should sit out of this rematch. The writers already missed the perfect opportunity to have Ash-Greninja beat Mega Charizard X back in the Kalos finals, and I don't think a simple rematch here is enough to fix that. Not when both Pokemon have been irrelevant to the story for the past two seasons.

You did put it quite eloquently, and I would have agreed, but there are two things that speak quite against this position:
  • Journeys have shown us Greninja to school Lucario, and even in regards to his moves - his double-team and (yes, that damn) cut have been shown to be very effective. Which is consistent within Anime, unlike games, moves do not have one power-scale - flamethrower being the obvious example. He may still have cut, but it is one quite effective cut.
  • We already have precedent of Ash's Charizard being away from him for long periods and returning always stronger and stronger. Yep, he was purposefully training, but it does not seem that using bunches of water-shurikens and cuts with double-teams on those vines is that far off, and to complement the first point - has made Greninja any weaker
So to sum it up, what has Anime shown us points out that Greninja being stronger and still on-par with Mega Charizard X is on the table. Maybe the writers will not do it, we will see. But it is hard to say it will be illogical or incoherent with things that came before.

Last edited:
I liked when alola fans said to satoshi this word: champion champion champion champion

You are presenting alola chiho

we might see Masters 8 being ruined for viewers because of annoying Hop. His annoying speeches that his brother is the best and no one will beat him in every match. Why they introduce him now to ruin everything? What a BS decision

So, Hop is male version of Mairin in XYZ. Mairin was MAIN reason Ash lost to Alain in finals as remembering her and her cheering helped Alain to beat Ash. I hope writers won't make same stupid mistake Hop being the MAIN reason Ash will lose to Leon in finals (n)
Leon is already unbeatable... and he's getting bored of it. Or rather afraid of it.

There is no fun in winning when you can't even lose. The different between Alain and Leon is that Alain is like Ash, hungry to reach to the top of the world. But Leon is already at the top of the world, and he's wondering if there's any challenges left for him.

DGJt8mj.jpg
Another page from Spoon magazine
Would somebody mind translating the texts, especially the CVs please?

Dang, I would have thought they couldn't spare any more episodes at this point. Maybe it's for budgetary reasons, since we know they are extending the Masters Tournament beyond what they originally intended in order to show non-Ash battles. If so, it's probably worth the sacrifice for more consistent animation.

Hopefully we get matchups in JN115 so we don't have to theorize for another month.

So uh, apparently, there's a new summary out in the TV Guide.

The first battle of the first round is Leon vs Alain if this is true.

So uh, apparently, there's a new summary out in the TV Guide.

The first battle of the first round is Leon vs Alain if this is true.

So let me get this straight, the writers brought back Alain, a character that they know that fans would love to see Ash get a rematch against, completely out of the blue…so he can lose to Leon. God what are these writers on that they miss so many easy slam dunks that they set the stage perfectly for? We get that Leon is unbeatable until he faces Ash, we really don’t need more needles reminders. Why can’t they just give us the fan service where it matters?

You can pretty much sum it up with the following:

Last edited:
I don't mind if Ash battles Lance first, but I would like to see some sort of 1 on 1 rematch later against you know who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom