• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN115: Opening! Masters Tournament!!

No surprise Alain could do nothing except his broken Charizard. Hope we won't see him again

Alan was absolutely destroyed by Leon, who didn't even need to use his full roster to win. It was so strange seeing Alan's Lizardon get walked over by Leon's considering it was depicted as pretty much invincible during XY... still, for everyone who was salty over Alan's victory over Satoshi I imagine this battle was very satisfying.

The first round battles are 3 vs 3, so there's still some mystery over the teams of the remaining participants for this round.

Team Rocket are reporting on the tournament... I have no idea why they haven't just handed in their notices to Sakaki and taken up broadcast media full time since they clearly love it. Also, they're taking over the episode previews.

VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kenta Miyake: Lizardon (Dande)
Kensuke Sato: Lizardon (Alan)
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Susumu Chiba: Wataru
Kenichi Suzumura: Daigo
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Tomo Sakurai: Shirona
Fumiko Orikasa: Carne
Kensho Ono: Alan
Aoi Yuki: Iris
Yo Kitazawa: Danpei
Takuto Yoshinaga: Hop
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

This was quite a Leon Charizard flex.

Can't wait to see how they nerf it in a few episodes so it can lose to Ash. Or are they gonna have Ash lose to another gimick zard. Feels like the writers are writing themselves in a corner.

A short battle, but it wasn't an important one so it was alright.

You know, I never had a problem with Alan before this episode, but after the dirty look he shot Satoshi during the opening ceremony... screw him, he's a jerk and I'm glad he lost so badly.
Yeah what in the world was that about?

Whatever I never liked him and actually didn’t like the mega specials. Like imagine if Ash for the entire first season only used his Pikachu who could basically one shot anything it encountered with no real explanation as to how its possible. How would that be entertaining content?

Good riddance to him I say, hopefully the door doesn’t hit him on the way out.

At the very very least, the outcome of this battle lends credence to my head canon that the Mega Ring Lysandre originally gave to Alain was tampered with (well, at least even more so than we saw in the anime) and actually gave his Charizard additional Infinity Energy while collecting energy for Lysandre, this giving it an unfair advantage in its battles.

This is how Alain's Charizard went from standing up against freaking Mega Rayquaza and defeating 10 Mega Evolutions in a row, to losing against a base form Charizard. Since Alain gave up his original Mega Ring along with his Key Stone and Mega Charizardite X, his Charizard actually became weaker overall :wynaut:

You know, I never had a problem with Alan before this episode, but after the dirty look he shot Satoshi during the opening ceremony... screw him, he's a jerk and I'm glad he lost so badly.
Yeah. Noticed that too. That was very rude and cocky. So, he got what he deserved in the end. Hope we won't see him anymore in pokemon series.

Wow, this battle was pretty mediocre. The Pokemon barely touch each other, but go down as soon they receive so much as a scratch or two. Alain is such a filler character in this tournament that his beating of Rillaboom felt like a consolation prize for how irrelevant he is here.

I'm glad Alain finally got his comeuppance in this episode, but why did it have to be from an even more overpowered trainer like Leon? And it just feels wrong for Alain to finally come back and not have that rematch with Ash.

At least Chesnaught and Rillaboom got some actual time in the spotlight for once.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom