• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I'd prefer if Iris not using Garchomp due facing Cynthia, but to be fair, Ash and Iris both used Dragonites against each other, so Iris using Garchomp is something that could still easily happen. Heck, the fact that Iris's Garchomp is male and will likely not Mega Evolve already makes it far more visually distinct from Cynthia's Garchomp than Ash's and Iris's Dragonites were from each other.

Alright, so the confirmed pokemon for the first round so far (correct me if I’m wrong):

Ash: Pikachu and Gengar

Steven: Cradily and M-Metagross

Alain: Chesnaught and MX-Charizard

Leon: Rillaboom and Charizard

Lance: Dragonite and Gyarados

Diantha: Aurorus and M-Gardevoir

Cynthia: Milotic and M-Garchomp

Iris: Haxorus

I doubt Iris will debut anything new. Since Iris is only getting one battle not seeing Dragonite and Excadrill would be odd.

Poor Emolga will be literal cheerleader

Alright, so the confirmed pokemon for the first round so far (correct me if I’m wrong):

Ash: Pikachu and Gengar

Steven: Cradily and M-Metagross

Alain: Chesnaught and MX-Charizard

Leon: Rillaboom and Charizard

Lance: Dragonite and Gyarados

Diantha: Aurorus and M-Gardevoir

Cynthia: Milotic and M-Garchomp

Iris: Haxorus
It also looks like Lance will use a Hydreigon. It could be Iris's instead, but the framing implies that it's Lance's. Should this be the case, then it means everyone will be using three Pokemon.

I think her second Pokémon should be Excadrill. Haxorus is already confirmed and the both of them were the two Iris started the series with and had the longest.

I could see Excadrill being switched out against Milotic, Haxorus defeating Milotic, Haxorus losing to Mega Garchomp, and then Excadrill coming back and putting up one final hurrah before being this close to KOing Cynthia's infamous ace.
EXCACHAD>>>>>>>>>>Haxorus

I don't see Diantha getting two battles on-screen when more popular characters are only getting 1. Lance vs. Leon rematch is probably also why Ash wasn't paired up with Lance.

Lance's VA also said he wanted a rematch with Leon, so that's probably happening since they're in the same bracket. If Diantha battles Leon it'll just be a quick curbstomp with Diantha beaten quickly and would be a waste of a battle/episode.

Yeah, people really need to understand that gameplay and story segregation is a thing and that just because Diantha is the easiest Champion in the games it doesn't mean she's incapable of putting up a good fight. I mean, for starters, if the writers truly wanted to be faithful to how strong each trainer is in the games, then the Masters 8 bracket would be made up of Frontier Brains instead of Champions.

Yeah, people really need to understand that gameplay and story segregation is a thing and that just because Diantha is the easiest Champion in the games it doesn't mean she's incapable of putting up a good fight. I mean, for starters, if the writers truly wanted to be faithful to how strong each trainer is in the games, then the Masters 8 bracket would be made up of Frontier Brains instead of Champions.
Even if you go by games Diantha, although easier due to how XY is built, is actually somewhat higher level than Lance (levels 64 to 68 vs levels 58 to 62) and could quite plausibly defeat him.
And that's assuming you don't go by gen 2 Lance who I think tops at 50.

Even if you go by postgame she can max out at 80 and Lance tops at 75.

Even if you go by games Diantha, although easier due to how XY is built, is actually somewhat higher level than Lance (levels 64 to 68 vs levels 58 to 62) and could quite plausibly defeat him.
And that's assuming you don't go by gen 2 Lance who I think tops at 50.

Even if you go by postgame she can max out at 80 and Lance tops at 75.
And this is without getting into how if we take a look at the teams each of them uses, Diantha has far more counters to Lance's team than Lance has counters against hers. I mean, girl's got two Rock-types, one of which is also part Ice, meaning she can deal super-effective damage to the entirety of Lance's team with only a third of hers. And Goodra and Gardevoir are also a thorn in Lance's side for obvious reasons.

Ouch, Leon VS Alain is so unimportant that it doesn't even get a full episode
On the contrary, the writers being able to cram Ash vs Hop and the Masters 8 introductions into the Leon vs Alain episode leads me to believe that there will be some additional stuff happening in this episode too.

On the contrary, the writers being able to cram Ash vs Hop and the Masters 8 introductions into the Leon vs Alain episode leads me to believe that there will be some additional stuff happening in this episode too.
It's quite possible the Leon/Alan stuff spills over into this episode too. I doubt we need an entire episode of Lance vs. Diantha since neither are major characters, so I could see some stuff continuing here.

Cross-posting my thoughts from the other thread:

As for Diantha vs Lance. This might be a controversial opinion, but I feel that this could really go either way, from an out-of-universe standpoint.

From the other matchups, we know that 2 out of 4 Mega Evolution users are definitely getting eliminated. While Ash does have Mega Lucario, I think he is most likely sticking to Z-Moves in R1, since he is the representative of Alola, and the region representative theme would be most apparent in R1, when there have not yet been any eliminations. In this scenario, this would mean the gimmick of Mega Evolution would have lost against both Dynamax/Gigantamax and Z-Moves in R1, with the only potential win for Mega Evolution being against Iris, who doesn't even use any gimmicks from the games. So unless the writers are willing to throw Mega Evolution under the bus, I can't see the writers going 0 for 3 in terms of gimmick matchups and have Mega Gardevoir lose against D-Max Gyarados.

On the other hand, Diantha on paper has the type advantage over Lance, and we all know how the writers like to go about type advantages in the anime (aka, basically a death sentence). Also, there is still Ash (and Cynthia, most likely) to showcase Mega Evolution in R2 and onwards.

Anyway, personally I would like to see Diantha advancing. I have a soft spot for Kalos and would be sad if the region gets eliminated completely in R1 despite having 2 representatives. Also, Kanto has another half-representative in Ash, so Lance getting eliminated would not sting as much.

Diantha may be considered weak by many fans who played X and Y, but in-universe, she's as strong as any Champion.
Yeah, people really need to understand that gameplay and story segregation is a thing and that just because Diantha is the easiest Champion in the games it doesn't mean she's incapable of putting up a good fight.
To be fair, the Kalos Elite Four and Diantha never got a difficulty spike when rematched in XY. Diantha's team could only really reach Level 80 through the Battle Cheateu's Black Writ of Challenge, but this rematch at her strongest is only against four Pokémon, and she's faced as a Grand Duchess instead of Champion (at least she keeps her amazing battle theme here).

Lance's team is around an average of Level 70 in his strongest rematch in HGSS, with Dragonite at Level 75. Leon's Charizard reaches Level 80 at maximum. Steven's Metagross is fought at Level 79 in ORAS. Iris' Haxorus can be fought at Level 83 in B2W2's Challenge Mode. And most notably, Cynthia's Garchomp can reach a whooping Level 88 in BDSP. Unlike with Diantha, these Champions had their levels were boosted for rematches, hence the unfavorable comparisons.

(I had to use Serebii to do the research due to Bulbapedia's server issues, so I do apologize if I missed something)

To strengthen your point, The Fiercely Fought Don Battle! Tsutarja VS Komatana!! went over into the next episode despite the majority of the battle having been done in its titular episode; there are other examples I'm sure, but this is what immediately came to mind.

Speaking of Diantha, I hope she wins. I've always felt she was wasted as a Champion. She has a lovely design reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn, a nice theme and beautiful Champion arena, a unique ace among the Pokémon Champions, and it would be wonderful to have several strong female showings in the largely male dominated PWC; we're going to see an Aurorus actually battle for the first time and I am excited for what her third Pokémon may be. Furthermore, Diantha has the infamous reputation of being the weakest Champion in the games and the anime (after that whole Ash Greninja debacle); she needs a win, otherwise I fear an early loss will only reinforce her poorly received status further. Lance has already gotten to shine several times in the anime in different sagas, including having a well fought battle already with Leon; I'm not particularly interested to see more of him, especially with this new "I'm going to glare almost 24/7 and be super serious" persona he's adopted in Journeys.

The only reason I question Leon vs Alain spilling over into this episode is the 2-week hiatus between this and and JN115. To be fair, I don't think they've explained yet why the break is happening, but it would be pretty baffling for them to pull the plug mid-battle, especially when there's zero suspense over who the winner will be. This seems to imply there will be a clean separation between the contents of the two episodes, otherwise it would have made much more sense to begin the break a week earlier and return with JN115 for the tournament's opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom