• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally think of Lance as more of a flying type user than a dragon type user. Like most of the time his game team is filled with flying types and even both pokemon we've seen him use in the anime so far have been part flying type.
It makes sense when you consider that he came about in a time where there weren’t anywhere near as many Dragon types so they went with Pokémon with dragon characteristics. It wasn’t until BW2 that they even updated his team with new dragons that had come out since then.

Waiting for proof of a major backlash on par with 2016 for those who wanted the falsely-hyped Ash vs. Alain rematch

Such a Cringe preview for a change instead only just Ash and Goh. Anyway, Diantha will win over Lance.
To be frank, I'm expecting Lance to win despite the Rock/Ice and Psychic/Fairy odds against him. The writers want him to rematch against Leon, after all. Although given they're now notorious for baiting and shark jumping, it could go either way. And it's pointless; Leon will just cram the winner like he did with Alain.

Last edited:
Lance will win this one 100%. Cynthia/Leon/Lance have always been shown during Journeys. I expect those 3 in SFs +Ash. Diantha can do nothing against Leon and is far too weak to be in SFs but Lance can be a good match against Leon.

Lance will win this one 100%. Cynthia/Leon/Lance have always been shown during Journeys. I expect those 3 in SFs +Ash. Diantha can do nothing against Leon and is far too weak to be in SFs but Lance can be a good match against Leon.
Diantha is far from weak.

Where is all the other matchups of the first round are pretty much a foregone conclusion to me, this one is interesting - I give it 60-40 in Lances favour though. I think him rematch if Leon is exactly why they’d do it. Lance has the disadvantage when it comes to type, so they can say “wow, he won despite the type disadvantage”

I’m happy with the outcome either way, so I just hope it doesn’t get spoiled before I watch the episode.

Absolutely atrocious animation in the preview.

I think the shots of Gyarados and Dragonite in the preview look very well animated. Depends how the other scenes go but this looks better animated than Leon's match.

I think the shots of Gyarados and Dragonite in the preview look very well animated. Depends how the other scenes go but this looks better animated than Leon's match.
The Gyarados animation is reused from Leon and Lance's battle in JN012.

I think Lance will win since the writers seem to prefer him but if type match-ups continue to be as important as in the Alain vs Leon fight then Diantha might actually win. But if everything is about type match-ups, it's going to get boring and predictable.

At the very least this is getting a full episode and not half of one like Leon/Alan. I expect this to be much better.

This is, frankly, the only match I'm actually looking forward in the M8. It's the only one without a clear-cut winner and the Pokémon matchup looks nice too. I mean, an Aurorus, a Gourgeist and a Hydreigon being used by trainers who actually know what they're doing???? Sign me right up.

But the animation looks stiff as a board tho, ngl.

Surely, they won't have two Kalos trainers and two Mega Pokemon get beaten back to back right? Right!???

I feel like it's a losing battle to root for Diantha, but I still am and hopefully she pulls through.

There's no narrative for Iris to battle Lance over Cynthia. It doesn't matter if he has more dragon Pokemon. Cynthia is more relevant to Iris.
There is because Iris has a chance of winning against Lance, but not against Cynthia. Iris can only lose against Cynthia, making the battle feel bitter sweet.

@Ghost Diplocaulus looks like your Gourgeist wish has been granted!

I agree with a couple other users here - the animation does not look seemly, and that is quite disappointing. I expected all the fights to be animated nicely given the grandiose nature of the Masters 8 battles, but it seems they may reserve that for the final fights. And that's a big maybe... Sigh.

Anyway, this looks like it can go either way, as both sides are using all three of their Pokémon and we know both Lance and Diantha will Mega Evolve too. I'm still rooting for Diantha, though, especially after the debacle that was Alain's fight - Kalos needs at least one win. It's going to be a long two weeks to wait.

Summary courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

The second match of the first round of the Masters Tournament is between Wataru, the new Champion of Kanto and Jouto, and Carne, the Kalos Champion! This battle between two evenly matched Champions is a fierce seesaw battle with the pride of two Champions that both refuse to yield at full display! Which of them has true command of their thoroughly tempered prowess and exchange of moves...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom