• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be a long two weeks to wait.
Um, I think it's actually going to be three weeks we have to wait, since the Lance vs Diantha episode is airing July 8th.
Anyway, this looks like it can go either way, as both sides are using all three of their Pokémon and we know both Lance and Diantha will Mega Evolve too.
I meant to ask you this before, but are you sure Lance's Gyarados will be Mega Evolving? Is that confirmed anywhere?

There is because Iris has a chance of winning against Lance, but not against Cynthia. Iris can only lose against Cynthia, making the battle feel bitter sweet.
Iris winning against Lance would have her immediately defeated against Leon in the next round. Iris history with Cynthia is exactly why the writers paired them up. Iris is more impressed with women champions than Lance.

I meant to ask you this before, but are you sure Lance's Gyarados will be Mega Evolving? Is that confirmed anywhere?
It's not been shown Mega Evolving in the trailers. One trailer also shows that Lance will be using Dynamax, not Mega Evolution.

So, I went back to the first trailer we got and was going to use that as my reference...but upon looking at it again, that isn't Mega Gyarados - it's just his Gyarados looking quite lethargic and chunky. I think I subconsciously associated with its Mega form since Mega Gyarados is hefty and it made me think of how Lysandre's was animated. :bulbaFacepalm: So, my mistake.

Opening the tournament with the two least impactful matches back-to-back, three weeks apart is a choice.
I feel like they purposely held back Iris and Ash's matches because they're former main characters, and since Cynthia is in Iris' bracket, she had to be held back too because that's the only way Ash would get to battle her if she wins.

Lance/Diantha just feels random because they just needed to pair up the last two characters but there's just no history behind them.

It's not been shown Mega Evolving in the trailers. One trailer also shows that Lance will be using Dynamax, not Mega Evolution.
That's what I thought, I saw him using Dynamax in the trailer. We know Lance has a Dynamax band and that he's Dynamaxed Gyarados before. Wonder if he'll Dynamax Dragonite or Hydreigon instead, though?

Iris winning against Lance would have her immediately defeated against Leon in the next round. Iris history with Cynthia is exactly why the writers paired them up. Iris is more impressed with women champions than Lance.
But against Cynthia she still ends up losing her first round.

But against Cynthia she still ends up losing her first round.
Well it's inevitable, she looks to be putting up a good fight before going down. If she was in the other bracket then Leon would just destroy her in the second round anyway.

The preview ends with a big explosion at Lance's side of the field, making it look like it's following Dragonite's belly flop...

But the special preview has MGardevoir attacking Dragonite with Moonblast from above, which could likely be Diantha's finishing move

Not really an episode prediction but I have a feeling next week's intro will be adjusted to reflect Alan's elimination from the tournament... something like this.

pixomatic_5182022123749586.png

A type disadvantage deciding the outcome between two champions would be lame, especially for this anime with its track record.

Whatever happened to Gyarados being Lance's ace? Is it even going to Dynamax?

Well, if Lance win the first round, he still could use his Gyarados against Leon.
He's already going to use it here, so it's entirely possible that, if Gyarados is the Pokemon Lance will Dynamax, then he'll do it earlier in the match before Diantha brings out Mega Gardevoir.

I think another reason Gyarados is given priority in ads over Dragonite is either because Ash also has a Dragonite, or because Gyarados looks more menacing. Or maybe even a combination of both reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom