• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which makes so little sense since a lot of Ash's previous aces are pretty marketable, especially his Charizard, which is a fan and creator favorite Pokémon. It's just that everyone else that has a Charizard seems to be able to use it except him. I hope I'm wrong and the later episodes in the Masters 8 surprise me and Ash brings back his own Charizard, or any of his other aces, like Sceptile, Infernape, etcetera, but that doesn't seem likely unless Lance doesn't have or use a Charizard against Diantha and loses the battle against her keeping him from showing it off against Leon and Leon can't Mega Evolve his, which is unlikely given some of the recent merchandise being a figure for a Mega Charizard Y.
You know, it’s actually so bad when it comes to them letting everyone who has a Charizard use theirs except Ash that the past 3 generations straight, we’ve had a major character with a Charizard in the anime and Ash’s hasn’t interacted with a single one:

1. Alain in XYZ
2. Kiawe in SM (gets even worse when you realize that they came to Kanto, spent an episode at Oak’s lab and Kiawe even brought out his Charizard to ride it)
3. Leon in Journeys

Just something I've been thinking of, but that move Diantha's Gourgeist is using in the preview has to be Light Screen, right? Because I looked up Gourgeist's moves, and it can learn Light Screen, but not Reflect. Except the animation for the move looks like Reflect, not Light Screen. For reference, here's Gourgeist's move compared to Horace's Gardevoir using Reflect. They look pretty much identical, right?

1656572123171.png
1656572005877.png

And for further comparison, here's Horace's Gardevoir also using Light Screen:
1656572031413.png

I wonder if it's just a change in animation for Light Screen, or another one of those infamous anime move errors? :unsure: Considering it looks like Gourgeist's taking some damage here from Aqua Tail, makes me wonder if it's the former, not the latter. But also consider Gourgeist was then seen stopping the Aqua Tail by catching it with its hands in the special preview. Guess it could also just be indicative of it being a Grass type and therefore not taking much damage from the move? Hmmmm.

Edit: I pondered this conundrum a little more, and then it hit me: the Reflect is probably Aurorus's, who can learn the move, if it is indeed Reflect and not an error. It's probably just activating to protect Gourgeist, since Reflect protects the whole team.

Last edited:
Summary and Partial VA list courtesy of Adamant

The second match of the first round of the Masters Tournament is between Wataru, the new Champion of Kanto and Jouto, and Carne, the Kalos Champion! This battle between two evenly matched Champions is a fierce seesaw battle with the pride of two Champions that both refuse to yield at full display! Which of them has true command of their thoroughly tempered prowess and exchange of moves...?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

Summary and Partial VA list courtesy of Adamant

The second match of the first round of the Masters Tournament is between Wataru, the new Champion of Kanto and Jouto, and Carne, the Kalos Champion! This battle between two evenly matched Champions is a fierce seesaw battle with the pride of two Champions that both refuse to yield at full display! Which of them has true command of their thoroughly tempered prowess and exchange of moves...?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
The fact that it could go either way is part of the reason why I'm excited for this match.

According to a reliable leaker, who, amongst other stuff, correctly predicted the Pokémon that Alain would use against Leon, has predicted that the winner of this match will be Diantha.

PS. Thank you @A Wild Luxray for this info.
So if that's true, I want to see if the reaction to that result will be positive or negative! :unsure:

According to a reliable leaker, who, amongst other stuff, correctly predicted the Pokémon that Alain would use against Leon, has predicted that the winner of this match will be Diantha.

PS. Thank you @A Wild Luxray for this info.
Well, I'm not entirely surprised. But still, how interesting. Good for Diantha.

Last edited:
I think there will be a more positive reaction if this is indeed true. People have constantly called Diantha the weakest Champion, so to see her pull off a win against
someone like Lance would be quite big for her in the fandom.
Which is exactly why I see her winning. Diantha is called "The Weakest Champion" since she first debuted in XY, and they def wanna change that.

It's understandable because they just need a break. You can't work all the time and especially in the summer they certainly have better things to do than drawing episodes, e.g. going to the swimming pool with the family. So I really treat him to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom