• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

In what is going to be one of the very few battles in the PWC to have an unpredictable status, that was unpredictable. Didn’t expect Gyarados to go down like that, and whilst I was rooting for Diantha, I thought they would give Lance a chance of a repeat against Leon. Yet, the most unexpected moment was
seeing Sawyer, Ritchie, Gold, etc. Like, Chronicles is recognised to have actually happened? Ritchie is alive? It’s hilarious to think Chronicles had Tracey say that Ritchie beat Ash in a battle, and now look at how far the two are apart.

Okay, battle…It’s just nice to see a fleshed out three-versus-three, with clever use of gimmicks. I see the anime has retconned Light-Screen and Reflect to show damage is actually done physically, rather than completely voiding the attack (Electabuzz using Light Screen for Paul and Tate & Liza’s usage made those moves look ridiculous).
In comparison, Lance was shown to be truly a brute-force monster, whilst Diantha was biding her time for the right moment. Decent battle.

This is what Alain v Leon should have been, a full episode. Even though Lance lost, it still gave him some shining light on his capabilities, whilst Alain was just a rushed opponent for Leon; giving no respect for a previous obstacle of Ash’s.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Susumu Chiba: Wataru
Kenichi Suzumura: Daigo
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Tomo Sakurai: Shirona
Fumiko Orikasa: Carne
Kensho Ono: Alan
Aoi Yuki: Iris
Yo Kitazawa: Danpei
Takuto Yoshinaga: Hop
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

I did a double take when I saw Ritchie. I popped off so hard and paused his cameo for a minute, just to take it in. We haven’t seen him since Pokémon Chronicles. The fact that I was young enough to watch the Pokémon anime from the very beginning, and then also recognize Sawyer right after, just goes to show how long I’ve been watching this show. Seeing Jimmy from The Legend of Thunder was wild too. Journeys really is a treat for long time fans. I also loved how Jessie remembered Gourgeist from her XY days and got excited over Diantha’s. I’m more excited to see cameos than ever before in these next few episodes, anyone could appear at this point.

In what is going to be one of the very few battles in the PWC to have an unpredictable status, that was unpredictable. Didn’t expect Gyarados to go down like that, and whilst I was rooting for Diantha, I thought they would give Lance a chance of a repeat against Leon. Yet, the most unexpected moment was
seeing Sawyer, Ritchie, Gold, etc. Like, Chronicles is recognised to have actually happened? Ritchie is alive? It’s hilarious to think Chronicles had Tracey say that Ritchie beat Ash in a battle, and now look at how far the two are apart.

Okay, battle…It’s just nice to see a fleshed out three-versus-three, with clever use of gimmicks. I see the anime has retconned Light-Screen and Reflect to show damage is actually done physically, rather than completely voiding the attack (Electabuzz using Light Screen for Paul and Tate & Liza’s usage made those moves look ridiculous).
In comparison, Lance was shown to be truly a brute-force monster, whilst Diantha was biding her time for the right moment. Decent battle.

This is what Alain v Leon should have been, a full episode. Even though Lance lost, it still gave him some shining light on his capabilities, whilst Alain was just a rushed opponent for Leon; giving no respect for a previous obstacle of Ash’s.

It's a catch 22 with Lance facing off Leon again because you know nobody could defeat Leon except Ash. And those two aren't fighting till the finals.

Thus, Lance defeating Diantha only to lose to Leon would be anti-climactic and predictable. It's the same reason why Iris defeating Cynthia only to lose to Ash doesn't have the same weight as Iris losing to Cynthia and then Ash has to face off the Sinnoh Champion.

Really, at least Diantha would by default offer something new to the table against Leon. Personally, I hoped that Lance faced off against Iris because Iris would have a better shot of winning as a new Champion.

Diantha showed some nice use of tactics and overall did really well. Too bad we couldn't see a rematch of her vs Ash.

There was a lot of great strategy here used by Diantha and all the strat changing moves. Lance went down like a boss he did really well. The animation didn't look bad to me at all.

Also loved all the character moments with Iris, Alan and Steven, Jessie remembering her pokemon and the old character cameos

well the battle was good it wasn't a big deal but it wasn't bad either, if the rest of the tournament ends like this battle, I'll settle for it at least!
the result is fine for me!
then there will be even more cameos, well, great, I want to see more of that!

It's the same reason why Iris defeating Cynthia only to lose to Ash doesn't have the same weight as Iris losing to Cynthia and then Ash has to face off the Sinnoh Champion.
Well, given that the episode in question is called "Iris's Road to the Dragon Master", I have a sneaking suspicion she might defeat Cynthia.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom