• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN117: VS Shirona! Iris's Road to Dragon Master!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great that they're following up on Cynthia sort of taking Iris under her wing continuing their development from BW. I bet they'll make it more obvious in this ep.

Yes Cynthia will win, but I suspect Iris will take out at least one of her pokemon and push her Garchomp to its limited to give Iris a good showing before she inevitably goes down

It's great that they're following up on Cynthia sort of taking Iris under her wing continuing their development from BW. I bet they'll make it more obvious in this ep.

Yes Cynthia will win, but I suspect Iris will take out at least one of her pokemon and push her Garchomp to its limited to give Iris a good showing before she inevitably goes down

Well be awful. The worse character ever beat at least one pokemon will be the worse thing ever. The most awful character reaching this level is so frustrating so awful

Well be awful. The worse character ever beat at least one pokemon will be the worse thing ever. The most awful character reaching this level is so frustrating so awful
Iris deserves to show how much she's grown. Iris may not have as many fans as, say, Misty, but she's redeemed herself in the eyes of many during Journeys. I think this battle would be even more amazing if they directly referenced their previous "battle" in BW and show how much Iris has grown since.

Speaking of the manga, I think the conflict between Cyrus and Cynthia could possibly be symbolic since Cyrus' ancestor is implied to to be Yamato/Wajin (Cyllene's Japanese name is Shimaboshi) while Cynthia's grandmother is Ainu-coded (because of her house in Platinum). When Cyrus attacks the village it is also like he attacks Cynthia's culture and identity. Makes sense that she would be upset and struggle with controlling her emotions. If you look at it that way it's almost like a hate crime.

Interesting coincidence that Iris in episode BW101 seemed to experience some kind of assimilation since she went to an all white school and couldn't adapt which in turn lead to her stop eating (hint of bullying or depression?). Perhaps this could be compared to the irl assimilation of Native American children?

Maybe that is why she feels more attached to Cynthia (other than the fact that she is the first female champion) than Lance. Perhaps she can't relate to Lance in the same way even if she presumably respects him as a dragon master (she trained with his cousin Clair after all).
This is cute, but you're overthinking things. Not to mention that Iris has yet to even interact with Lance, who is just as native to Johto as Iris' pseudo-mentor Clair. OLM's thought process is a lot shallower and can be summed up by one picture:

sample-64b7f70e5c0174eb20379ba0baaf5799.jpg

Girl power.

This event is the worse ever. Why iris must be involved in everything. Iris Trip Cameron in pokemon and bourbon in detective conan are the worse.

Not only they put her in a way that she try to be cute no, they tried to thought away kodomo ne [such a kid] to make us feel better or something like that.

In reality she is the most kid ever

Last edited:
Iris has developed a lot as a character after BW, so it's not fair to judge her solely based on that series.

No she never changed at all. Everything is been handled to her. She remind the same. The most worse character ever. They handled everything to her so being champion is expected before but not accepted at all.

Iris has developed a lot as a character after BW, so it's not fair to judge her solely based on that series.
I don't think such dramatic development should be praised if it's offscreen and without buildup. It feels less like she naturally evolved as a character, and more like the writers completely overhauled her anime depiction in order for her to serve a new purpose. It just feels very insincere. They basically did the same thing with Steven, only nobody minded because he only appeared in one episode prior to XY and didn't make much of an impact at the time.

I don't think such dramatic development should be praised if it's offscreen and without buildup. It feels less like she naturally evolved as a character, and more like the writers completely overhauled her anime depiction in order for her to serve a new purpose. It just feels very insincere. They basically did the same thing with Steven, only nobody minded because he only appeared in one episode prior to XY and didn't make much of an impact at the time.
Her appearing in Journeys has, nevertheless, developed her character, off-screen or not.

Her appearing in Journeys has, nevertheless, developed her character, off-screen or not.

I knew they will find a new to make her being the champion and I really expected this even if I didn't accepted this.

Just saying that she changed never means she really changed. She remains the same and everything is been handled to her. I always think that she never a trainer also. She hate journey and always want to be out from it. Her pokemons are awful from starting to ending.

The Steven was completely different when he appeared in Advanced Generation than xy and this season. Why I don't know?

Journey's Iris is the best she's ever been, so I don't mind. She had been off-screen for 3 series and unlike Ash doesn't restart her team or get sidetracked by fillers or random stuff like Ash does every season.

Seeing how champions aren't unbeatable anymore I can see Alder being beaten by her. Wish we got a flashback though

Journey's Iris is the best she's ever been, so I don't mind. She had been off-screen for 3 series and unlike Ash doesn't restart her team or get sidetracked by fillers or random stuff like Ash does every season.

Seeing how champions aren't unbeatable anymore I can see Alder being beaten by her. Wish we got a flashback though

Everything is wrong and wrong. She doesn't deserve one single win from BW episodes so jow she deserved this tell me.

Did you see her episodes mister in BW, all episode?

I only hated Cilan for this thing only. I like cilan, burgundy Bel [Bianca], Gorgie, fannel, N, concordia, anthea, the two Juniper officially, Katherine from episode 57 even if I don't like her gathetta. But I hated cilan in one point only: why he hated purloin so much and never hated Iris's pokemons specially the emolga. I like emolga but Iris emolga is the worst.

Last edited:
As I said the match should be 3-0 to cynthia

Iris deserves to show how much she's grown. Iris may not have as many fans as, say, Misty, but she's redeemed herself in the eyes of many during Journeys. I think this battle would be even more amazing if they directly referenced their previous "battle" in BW and show how much Iris has grown since.
Iris has certainly improved as both a character and a trainer since the BW series. Despite that, I just reallllly don't see her winning here.

Yeah, Iris beating Cynthia would be a pretty difficult sell, but just because Iris loses it doesn't mean she can't show progress. Maybe her Haxorus will prove so tough that Cynthia has no choice but to Mega Evolve Garchomp to defeat him, which imo would be a neat way of having cake and eating it: Cynthia wins the battle but Iris goes down swinging.

And anyway, I just don't want any more one-sided curbstomps ala Leon vs Alain.

Yeah, Iris beating Cynthia would be a pretty difficult sell, but just because Iris loses it doesn't mean she can't show progress. Maybe her Haxorus will prove so tough that Cynthia has no choice but to Mega Evolve Garchomp to defeat him, which imo would be a neat way of having cake and eating it: Cynthia wins the battle but Iris goes down swinging.
This is the scenario I was thinking too. I don't mind Iris losing, as long as she can prove to Cynthia that she can hold her own. Maybe Iris could even score a KO or two before going down.

It will be awful to see her here so how if she challenge or attacked Cynthia's pokemon.

She was the same and really I am waiting for Shinneth, Hellion, Masurao and who reflected y opinion in this thread Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? to answer you guys.

But the only thing that I am wondering about is can axew no I meant hakkrous the finally evolution anyway can it learn special rend or roar otlf time or both of these two attacks?
Because as we knew then axew learnt two attacks called outrage and giga impact?

Last edited:
Speaking of the manga, I think the conflict between Cyrus and Cynthia could possibly be symbolic since Cyrus' ancestor is implied to to be Yamato/Wajin (Cyllene's Japanese name is Shimaboshi) while Cynthia's grandmother is Ainu-coded (because of her house in Platinum).
Can you explain that a little bit further, please? As you can easily image I want to collect any information on the Queen, the wonderful Cynthia that I can get. But that background you mentioned is not quite familiar to me since I don't speak Japanese, so it's not so easy to get the connection.

Anyways, it kind of hurts me if people want Cynthia to lose against Iris.... On the other hand, rooting for the underdog is a very common behavior, so I can at least understand why people think that way. Still, I absolutely don't want it to happen! (and it won't ...otherwise...)
I'm convinced Cynthia will defeat Iris, but unfortunately, I don't think Cynthia will curbstomp Iris, either. Simply because our Queen is way too kind-hearted and supportive (another proof of her greatness!). I think this episode will be all about Cynthia secretly trying to mentor Iris and in the end Cynthia will acknowledge Iris' progress.
Nevertheless, I absolutely hope the episode will not just be an Iris-centered epiode as that admittedly very confusing title implies. After all, it's Cynthia, the one and only, who should dominate and shine in the end. :notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom