• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN117: VS Shirona! Iris's Road to Dragon Master!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, naming Iris over a show that was quite a long time ago (I don't know how long, but a long time) isn't fair at all. Sooo many things happened that we didn't see but still prove how strong Iris was. Right, we don't know how strong Alder was but he was still the champ. And that in a region where probably not the weakest trainers lived.

So many things happened but never happened by this way only to iris the worse character so for us it is not fair at all.

Can you explain that a little bit further, please?
PokeSuutamie explains the Galaxy Team’s Japanese names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8rRTd7tlw&t=309s

Theories about Celestic Town being Ainu-coded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-topiB5cP8&list=WL&index=43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJkANkRNHo&t=1502s

Theory about Enamorus’ lips being based on Ainu women’s mouth tattoos (Note that Enamorus is associated with Cogita who is presumably Cynthia’s ancestor):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500VicX0DGk

Another theory about the back strike technique being based on Ainu hunting (Note that Volo who is presumably also Cynthia’s ancestor is the one who teaches the protagonist this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIIdI_jgmUk

Interesting analysis of Iris’ character:

https://themattress.tumblr.com/post/187985678244

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/ijncl0/why_iris_and_her_story_is_my_favorite/

Don't forget that how she played against 99 person when she was kid and beat them but in the same time tells to 3 kids who are friends in krokorok episode that it is doesn't make sense for kids to have a battle how?

Don't forget that how she played against 99 person when she was kid and beat them but in the same time tells to 3 kids who are friends in krokorok episode that it is doesn't make sense for kids to have a battle how?
The anime and the games have kind of ignored the whole, "you must be 10 years old to qualify as a Pokemon Trainer" thing in recent years, so it's no longer a hard and fast rule. Case in point: literal Preschoolers using Pokemon in Black and White, and those kids didn't look any older than, I don't know, 6, maybe?

Last edited:
The anime and the games have kind of ignored the whole, "you must be 10 years old to qualify as a Pokemon Trainer" thing in recent years, so it's no longer a hard and fast rule. Case in point: literal Preschoolers using Pokemon in Black and White, and those kids didn't look any older than, I don't know, 6 maybe?

As I said, pokemon had a rules that they can't break however they break it only for iris.

This is my opinion

As I said, pokemon had a rules that they can't break however they break it only for iris.

This is my opinion
Umm........I don't think that's true, though? Look, I'm not the biggest Iris fan myself, I especially wasn't a fan of hers back in the BW days. That girl got on my (and apparently everyone elses too,) nerves. There's a reason she was one of the most maligned traveling companions for a long while. I (and quite a few others I think,) were not sad to see her go at the end of the BW series. I still remember the surprise I felt when Serena was introduced the following series and her personality was just.......the exact opposite of Iris's in almost every conceivable way. It was like a breath of fresh air. Still, despite Journeys having its own fair share of problems, Iris has actually improved in Journeys, both as a character and a battler. So, even though I'm still not her biggest fan, I'd still say its only fair to give the girl a chance now, for she's a better character than she was.

Last edited:
The anime and the games have kind of ignored the whole, "you must be 10 years old to qualify as a Pokemon Trainer" thing in recent years, so it's no longer a hard and fast rule. Case in point: literal Preschoolers using Pokemon in Black and White, and those kids didn't look any older than, I don't know, 6, maybe?
That rule never existed in the games to begin with. We've had clearly younger than 10 Trainers since like Gen II.

I suspect the show has selectively ignored it since close to day one; Mikey in The Battling Eevee Brothers had one and he's rather significantly shorter than Ash so probably at least a few years younger.
I imagine there's some specific set of rules regarding the whole thing, and it might just be as simple as "very few people really care but Norman is enough of a stickler that Max was stuck".

That rule never existed in the games to begin with. We've had clearly younger than 10 Trainers since like Gen II.
Yeah, it's just the Preschoolers from BW always stuck out in my mind when it comes to that whole "must be 10 years old to be a Pokemon Trainer" thing. Hell, some of those kids couldn't even speak in complete sentences yet if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, it's just the Preschoolers from BW always stuck out in my mind when it comes to that whole "must be 10 years old to be a Pokemon Trainer" thing. Hell, some of those kids couldn't even speak in complete sentences yet if I'm remembering correctly.

That's right how kid who can't make one sentence right challenge. But I didn't got the it's just the Preschoolers from BW always stuck out in my mind

That's right how kid who can't make one sentence right challenge. But I didn't got the it's just the Preschoolers from BW always stuck out in my mind
I simply meant when people mention kids being too young to train Pokemon, those tykes always come to mind for me. In other words, it's an enduring memory.

I can respect your opinion on wanting Cynthia to win, but don't you think you're taking your dislike of Iris way too far now?

I am such as who wrote their opinion in this thread Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? who really reflected my a German in that thread. Hope if I am one of who write his opinion their

I simply meant when people mention kids being too young to train Pokemon, those tykes always come to mind for me. In other words, it's an enduring memory.

OK

We haven't gotten any news on this episode, have we?

The more I'm thinking about this episode title, the more I'm getting worried this could be a one-sided Iris-focused episode... We've already had plenty of those episodes where underdogs are getting supported and, of course, we've already got countless Iris-episodes in BW, which was more than enough if you ask me. So why can't we finally have an epic episode that focuses on the glory and power of the great Cynthia, number two in the world?
I'm afraid the writers will keep playing their "Support Iris" game and Cynthia can't help fostering her too because our Queen is just way too kind and supportive when she encounters a promising trainer. That's such a wonderful character trait of Cynthia (among many others) but nevertheless, I absolutely hope that in the end Iris will get destroyed by Cynthia! (Please writers, don't be too respectful towards Iris...)

Last edited:
We haven't gotten any news on this episode, have we?

The more I'm thinking about this episode title, the more I'm getting worried this could be a one-sided Iris-focused episode... We've already had plenty of those episodes where underdogs are getting supported and, of course, we've already got countless Iris-episodes in BW, which was more than enough if you ask me. So why can't we finally have an epic episode that focuses on the glory and power of the great Cynthia, number two in the world?
I'm afraid the writers will keep playing their "Support Iris" game and Cynthia can't help fostering her too because our Queen is just way too kind and supportive when she encounters a promising trainer. That's such a wonderful character trait of Cynthia (among many others) but nevertheless, I absolutely hope that in the end Iris will get destroyed by Cynthia! (Please writers, don't be too respectful towards Iris...)

This is the thing that I am afraid episode qnd from thile title then I thought so. Cynthia in reality is another Ash in catching the pokemon. She never cares about dragons and never ever ever been a Dragon master or trainer. She only had garchamp then the fighting dragon final evolution from alola region. So why they have to enforce us to say she is a Dragon master or dragon tamer. Anyway, destroy is the only I want 6-0 but because the matching is 3-3 then 3-0 will be less if it is not destroy.

Cynthia the second won should destroy Iris because my opinion is such as your opinion up "We haven't gotten any news on this episode, have we?

I'm afraid the writers will keep playing their "Support Iris" game and Cynthia can't help fostering her too because our Queen is just way too kind and supportive when she encounters a promising trainer. That's such a wonderful character trait of Cynthia (among many others) but nevertheless, I absolutely hope that in the end Iris will get destroyed by Cynthia! (Please writers, don't be too respectful towards Iris"

This is the thing that I am afraid episode qnd from thile title then I thought so. Cynthia in reality is another Ash in catching the pokemon. She never cares about dragons and never ever ever been a Dragon master or trainer. She only had garchamp then the fighting dragon final evolution from alola region. So why they have to enforce us to say she is a Dragon master or dragon tamer. Anyway, destroy is the only I want 6-0 but because the matching is 3-3 then 3-0 will be less if it is not destroy.
Cynthia is not being promoted as a Dragon Trainer. It was just an initial mistranslation of the title that gave us that image.
Cynthia the second won should destroy Iris because my opinion is such as your opinion up "We haven't gotten any news on this episode, have we?
I think the lack of news is just a result of the episode still being far away enough for there not to be any yet.
I'm afraid the writers will keep playing their "Support Iris" game and Cynthia can't help fostering her too because our Queen is just way too kind and supportive when she encounters a promising trainer. That's such a wonderful character trait of Cynthia (among many others) but nevertheless, I absolutely hope that in the end Iris will get destroyed by Cynthia! (Please writers, don't be too respectful towards Iris"
Cynthia has had plenty of focus episodes too. And she's not unbeatable, just strong. Iris is most likely losing to her, yes, but I doubt it'll be a steamroll. Cynthia using Mega Evolution shows to me that she's taking this battle seriously and sees Iris as an equal opponent.

Please Do Not Wish Harm For Anime Characters
Alola, everyone.

Just a reminder that while respectfully expressing dislike for a character is allowed, wishing for their death or anything similar is not and will not be tolerated in the forums, let alone our section. While certain, recent comments have been reported on and said users have been addressed on our side, please continue to report posts that you see are against the rules of the forums. And please be mindful of the posts that you are making, as well. Remember to be polite & respectful, especially as we near these upcoming battles. Thank you!

I actually am happy to see Iris becoming the Unova Champion and in the Master 8 of the World Coronation Series. As a person of color, I am very pleased that there is representation in the anime and seeing a that a character that looks like me making her way to becoming a regional champion.
Technically even Leon (and Ash if you want to stretch it) are people of color as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom