• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN117: VS Shirona! Iris's Road to Dragon Master!!

By the end of the battle, I found myself genuinely wanting Iris to win for more than just a laugh. The Dragon Pulse vs Draco Meteor clash, unfortunately, didn't make for a very tense/exciting finish.

Three battles in, and this just doesn't feel like the tournament to end all tournaments. I guess next week's battle is the first one intended to be animated, so... fingers crossed?

Not gonna lie, Dragonite getting pumped like that was so disrespectful that I had to laugh. Lmao, someone in the writing room did that deliberately.

The battle was pretty solid, otherwise. I’m so happy that Excadrill got to compete with the big dogs and the final stand between Haxorus and Garchomp was surprisingly intense (if only we saw Haxorus’ journey from an obnoxious waste of space to a powerhouse…) and the emotions were played very well.

I agree with the notion that Ash just standing there staring at Iris’ breakdown was so very awkward, though… come on, Japan, if a hug will give the kids a stroke, at least a fist bump or something?

All in all, the Masters 8 seem to be escalating in quality, so I’m excited for next episode.

Not gonna lie, Dragonite getting pumped like that was so disrespectful that I had to laugh. Lmao, someone in the writing room did that deliberately.

The battle was pretty solid, otherwise. I’m so happy that Excadrill got to compete with the big dogs and the final stand between Haxorus and Garchomp was surprisingly intense (if only we saw Haxorus’ journey from an obnoxious waste of space to a powerhouse…) and the emotions were played very well.

I agree with the notion that Ash just standing there staring at Iris’ breakdown was so very awkward, though… come on, Japan, if a hug will give the kids a stroke, at least a fist bump or something?

All in all, the Masters 8 seem to be escalating in quality, so I’m excited for next episode.
A fist bump would be really inappropriate in this context. You don't fist bump somebody when they are crying their eyes out.

Edit: Oops.

Last edited:
It was a pretty fitting finisher IMO. It showed Iris having learned from her match with Ash and featured two high-power moves clashing on a big scale.
I can't say I saw the same growth you did. She initially counters Draco Meteor with Outrage. The same way she tried to against Ash and failed. If she had used Dragon Pulse instead, I would've been more on board.

The final stare-down between Haxorus and Garchomp didn't work for me given Dragon Pulse didn't look like it worked as a counter at all.

I can't say I saw the same growth you did. She initially counters Draco Meteor with Outrage. The same way she tried to against Ash and failed. If she had used Dragon Pulse instead, I would've been more on board.
With Ash, Outrage didn't work in stopping the attack. Here, Haxorus was able to push through the attack with Outrage.
The final stare-down between Haxorus and Garchomp didn't work for me given Dragon Pulse didn't look like it worked as a counter at all.
I respectfully disagree. Dragon Pulse knocked out quite a few meteorites. It just didn't counter it enough.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but as we all expected, Champion Cynthia won. The queen has done it, but I feel bad for Iris. I hear she did at least get a win from Excadrill, which I think at least gives her the honor of being the first character to defeat one of Champion Cynthia's Pokemon in an official battle on screen. Is the battle less like a game battle though?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Iris crying seemed like a throwback to May losing to Solidad. It was almost done the same way it felt intentional. Only difference is Ash and Go didn't touch her shoulders like Ash and Brock did.

The Dragonite/Milotic portion did go by too fast but the rest of the battle was good. Iris' Dragonite has never won a battle since Dawn at least on-screen, so it further puts into perspective Dracovish defeating it last time was perfectly fine especially with the 4x damage. Fossils aren't newborns either in the anime.

Basically if you watched BW and especially Iris/Cynthia back then and see how far that baby Axew came as a Haxorus, you'll appreciate this ep more. For all the complaints of Axew getting lost at the league or being useless, it really has come a long way. It makes me like Iris more I'm retrospect too.

To the people who actually watched the entire anime between Isshu to now - has Iris' Dragonite actually had an on screen win at all since it started listening to her ? For the life of me I can't think of a single instance, and I almost feel bad for thing, especially since its KO felt extra brutal. Kinda reminded me of how Byron's Steelix mopped the floor with Ash's Buizel.

Anyway, as much as I like Iris and everything I cant deny that next to Ash, Cynthia was the character I was rooting for the most in this whole tournament, so really happy she came out on top

To the people who actually watched the entire anime between Isshu to now - has Iris' Dragonite actually had an on screen win at all since it started listening to her ? For the life of me I can't think of a single instance, and I almost feel bad for thing, especially since its KO felt extra brutal. Kinda reminded me of how Byron's Steelix mopped the floor with Ash's Buizel.

Anyway, as much as I like Iris and everything I cant deny that next to Ash, Cynthia was the character I was rooting for the most in this whole tournament, so really happy she came out on top
Her Dragonite hasn't won a battle since beating Dawn's Mamoswine in BW. It had to have won off-screen so Iris rise to champion make sense but it lost every on-screen battle.

Her Dragonite lost to Ash's Krookodile, Drayden, Claire, Charizard almost beat it before N stopped the battle, the genies, Dracovish and now Milotic.

Just finished watching the episode, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The battle was rushed at some parts (also, lol @ Iris's Dragonite jobbing for the trillionth time), but on the whole it was quite good, with the Haxorus vs Garchomp portion being especially dynamic. The result was of course predictable and expected, but Iris put up a great fight and went down swinging. I'm looking forward to the last round 1 battle.

Okay I finally got to see the episode.

This was definitely better than Lance vs. Diantha. There was certainly a bit more countering, dodging, and more dynamic action than the static turn based "Attack, get hit, attack, get hit." of Lance vs. Diantha. Dragonite vs. Milotic certainly had those moments though. You really mean to tell me Milotic couldn't avoid Thunder Punch or Dragonite couldn't get up and fly away from Disarming Voice? Haxorus vs Garchomp was great and it was nice to see Iris manage to put enough pressure on Champion Cynthia to force her to use Mega Evolution. I feel bad for Iris, but she did well for herself and she has come closer than anyone ever has to defeating Champion Cynthia. She managed to take down two of her Pokemon, so at least Iris went out fighting strong.

Some of the cameos were great, though where was Cilan? He almost certainly should have had a cameo here. It was great to see Alder, Drayden, Trip, Reggie, Paul, Flint, Volkner, and Bianca, but where was Cilan? Also I'm kinda amused that Cameron didn't get to appear. But seriously, no Cilan? We need that "No bitches?" Megamind meme, but for Cilan.. I really didn't like how Ash didn't really ty to comfort Iris or anything though.

Overall a great episode.

I hear she did at least get a win from Excadrill, which I think at least gives her the honor of being the first character to defeat one of Champion Cynthia's Pokemon in an official battle on screen. Is the battle less like a game battle though?
Technically, this is incorrect.
Flint is the first one to do it.

While we don't actually see him take out 2 of Cynthia's pokemon, it is mentioned he did; before the Infernape vs Garchomp fight.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom