• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN118: Satoshi Goes into Battle! VS Daigo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rath

Reaction score
Summary and Partial VA list courtesy of Adamant

The fourth match of the first round of the Masters Tournament finally sees the start of Satoshi's battles. His opponent is Houen Champion Daigo, whose powerful Pokémon drive Satoshi against the wall... Satoshi doesn't just want to win for himself, but also for the sake of the friends and Pokémon that support him! Can he defeat the roadblock that is Daigo and pass his first match?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

Last edited:
Power scaling wise, the only Pokémon that makes sense to defeat Metagross is Pikachu.
I know Ash has gotten stronger but it makes no sense to have Ash beat Cynthia and Leon when he can’t even beat Alain. Power scaling wise his whole team should get one shot by Charizard except for Pikachu but Pikachu still gets beat

Power scaling wise, the only Pokémon that makes sense to defeat Metagross is Pikachu.
I know Ash has gotten stronger but it makes no sense to have Ash beat Cynthia and Leon when he can’t even beat Alain. Power scaling wise his whole team should get one shot by Charizard except for Pikachu but Pikachu still gets beat
Ash has grown a lot stronger since the Kalos League.

Yes but his current team sans Pikachu shouldn’t be able to beat Leon. It doesn’t feel right.
Agreed. The lack of development has started to show how wrong that choice was.

Unless Pikachu manages to defeat all three of Daigo's Pokemon, still contrived.
Satoshi is doomed from the get go, him losing is actually the most believable outcome.

That is why I advocated the use of Past Aces, besides not having any reason to root for/care about the current team.

Yes but his current team sans Pikachu shouldn’t be able to beat Leon. It doesn’t feel right.
Ash's victories usually aren't through raw power, but through clever tactics. As Tomioka said, the whole point of Ash as a protagonist is that he transcends game logic.

Agreed. The lack of development has started to show how wrong that choice was.

Unless Pikachu manages to defeat all three of Daigo's Pokemon, still contrived.
Satoshi is doomed from the get go, him losing is actually the most believable outcome.

That is why I advocated the use of Past Aces, besides not having any reason to root for/care about the current team.
Even if Ash did use his older Pokemon, the Journeys team was still going to be the one to face Leon, because this is their story.

Ash doesn't have to rely on his past aces to prove that he's strong, IMO.
Satoshi, and Pikachu, are strong; the rest are not.

Ash's victories usually aren't through raw power, but through clever tactics.
Journeys Satoshi hasn't shown its tactical prowess during the whole series.
He now relies on thoughtless offensive and/or tanking everything and getting a lucky shot.

Even if Ash did use his older Pokemon, the Journeys team was still going to be the one to face Leon, because this is their story.
An story that I am not attached to at all, it is hard to care about them when they have been so poorly handled.
What is the point of their existence, being just battle automatons or bland/flat almost characters?

And I don't think Satoshi is going to reach Dande, at least in a meaningful/plausible way.
If he wins against Daigo or Shirona, it is going to be due to Plot-Armor and/or Deus-ex-Machina.

Satoshi, and Pikachu, are strong; the rest are not.

Journeys Satoshi hasn't shown its tactical prowess during the whole series.
He now relies on thoughtless offensive and/or tanking everything and getting a lucky shot.

An story that I am not attached to at all, it is hard to care about them when they have been so poorly handled.
What is the point of their existence, being just battle automatons or bland/flat almost characters?

And I don't think Satoshi is going to reach Dande, at least in a meaningful/plausible way.
If he wins against Daigo or Shirona, it is going to be due to Plot-Armor and/or Deus-ex-Machina.
Ash reaching Leon is the whole point of the series. Battling Leon isn't just his goal, Leon is also looking forward to battling him. Leon is the closest thing Ash has to a "rival" this series.

My other issue with the Steven v Ash match-up is that it’s seemingly going to come down to Pikachu v Metagross.
Whilst it is indeed a Mega Metagross, let alone a Champion’s, this would be the third time Pikachu has defeated one, previously besting Tyson’s and Alain’s. This just seems extremely repetitive to have Pikachu knock out yet another.

I mean, add a tie with Anabele’s, beating Paul’s, and a random trainer’s in the Hearthome City Tag Contest with Chimchar, to the previously mentioned trainers above, that is a very long list of battles against a Metagross.
Yet, again, this is Steven’s Mega Metagross, but it really doesn’t excite me.

My other issue with the Steven v Ash match-up is that it’s seemingly going to come down to Pikachu v Metagross.
Whilst it is indeed a Mega Metagross, let alone a Champion’s, this would be the third time Pikachu has defeated one, previously besting Tyson’s and Alain’s. This just seems extremely repetitive to have Pikachu knock out yet another.

I mean, add a tie with Anabele’s, beating Paul’s, and a random trainer’s in the Hearthome City Tag Contest with Chimchar, to the previously mentioned trainers above, that is a very long list of battles against a Metagross.
Even if Pikachu lands the finishing blow, Gengar is probably going to make an impact with its newly learned Will-O-Wisp and Gigantamax form

Even if Pikachu lands the finishing blow, Gengar is probably going to make an impact with its newly learned Will-O-Wisp and Gigantamax form
And even then, we literally just watched a replica of that happen against Paul the other week, only difference being the idea that there’s Mega Evolution and Gigantamax this time around. It doesn’t feel that special of an occasion when both ways, Pikachu or Gengar KO, have similar backgrounds.

When you brought this all up, it made me realize that for a pseudo-legendary Pokémon that is fairly unique among its 600 BST peers, Metagross has had very lackluster showings in the anime... Even now, Steven's will ultimately wind up beaten, adding to the list of KOes.

We literally just had Gengar training to beat a Metagross 2 episodes ago.

When you brought this all up, it made me realize that for a pseudo-legendary Pokémon that is fairly unique among its 600 BST peers, Metagross has had very lackluster showings in the anime... Even now, Steven's will ultimately wind up beaten, adding to the list of KOes.
That's what it gets for not being a Dragon-type or a dragonlike creature :p

Joking aside, it is interesting to say the least how we've actually seen Metagross being defeated in battle more times than Salamence despite the fact that the former is the Champion's ace and the latter is "only" an Elite Four's ace. I mean, one would think it'd be the other way around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom