• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN118: Satoshi Goes into Battle! VS Daigo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what it gets for not being a Dragon-type or a dragonlike creature :p

Joking aside, it is interesting to say the least how we've actually seen Metagross being defeated in battle more times than Salamence despite the fact that the former is the Champion's ace and the latter is "only" an Elite Four's ace. I mean, one would think it'd be the other way around...
And now the same Mega Metagross that shrugged off a Blast Burn from Alain's Mega Charizard X in XY is about the join the list of Metagross that Ash has defeated

Journeys Satoshi hasn't shown its tactical prowess during the whole series.
He now relies on thoughtless offensive and/or tanking everything and getting a lucky shot.
VS Iris: Improvised a Draco Meteor on the spot
VS Drasna: Found out Altaria-M's weakness by dampening its feathers (although failed to take advantage of it)
Battle Royale: Using Quick Attack to dodge everyone else
VS Raihan: Ate a sandstorm and tongueslapped a Surf; using Draco Meteor as a radar to know where Flygon is
VS Rinto: Telling Farfetch'd to use his broken leek as a shield (led to it evolving)
Even during the Masters 8 preview we're seeing Pikachu using Electroweb to trap what seems to be Cradily's vines

Saying he hasn't used his tactical prowess is just wrong. In almost every challenging battle he's in he's shown to be thinking outside the box. There's exceptions like 10M Volts magically working on Volt Absorb Electivire but those are the exception, not the rule.

I want to relate only to Metagross and Ash options here:

1. Gengar could easily finish the job alone- every Dark, Ghost or Fire move. Gmax could be an option to state he is the one owning the firat round foe ash.

2. Pikachu can only use Z move to beat Steven's. If to be fair with the power scale and non3 super effective move. Electric type moves like Electro Web for the armor plot, also Volt Tackel could be usefull here with the static abillity.

3. Sirfetchd could be up to the task not as the obvious option like the firat 2. The writer might actually let us see how Sirfetchd is helpfull for Ash. He might be too slow, but can land some critical dmg with his Brutal swing, and evwn hit well with Meteor As$ault. Detect can be used by the writer to make Ash invincible here.

The other 3 shouldn't be even present against Metagross ; if they will face him the best option for Ash to take their pokeball and return them ASAP. We saw in JNs trainers do make good use of shifting in battles anyway.

Hope see Ash in finals. He always admit Cynthia so it is finally to see him challenge Cynthia. He finally challenge a Champion. He won against elite four the dragon from xy

Hope see Ash in finals. He always admit Cynthia so it is finally to see him challenge Cynthia. He finally challenge a Champion. He won against elite four the dragon from xy
I too would like to see Ash and Cynthia clash, should promise to be a memorable battle (hopefully.)

I too would like to see Ash and Cynthia clash, should promise to be a memorable battle (hopefully.)
He always admire here and huge fan of her as he and hikari were in diamond and pearl.

It is the time for Ash o shine and challenge here.

Ash is likely to fight Cynthia in the semifinals.
Hope so. Maybe, it will be nearby the end of July or in the beginning of August as I think

I wonder who Ash's third Pokemon against Steven will be. I'm betting Lucario or Sirfetch'd.
Personally I'd prefer Sirfetch'd over Lucario because Lucario was the star of the literal previous PWC battle while Sirfetch'd hasn't had a fight in a while. That said, Lucario would actually be pretty interesting because it'd mean that Ash would be using all three of his gimmick users in the same battle, meaning he could theoretically pull out whatever gimmick he needs depending on the situation, although he'd still need to choose carefully due to only being allowed to use one.

I think Dracovish could also be a fun option here due to being a Fossil Pokemon, and Steven does have a fascination with those and is even going to use one of them here.

Personally I'd prefer Sirfetch'd over Lucario because Lucario was the star of the literal previous PWC battle while Sirfetch'd hasn't had a fight in a while. That said, Lucario would actually be pretty interesting because it'd mean that Ash would be using all three of his gimmick users in the same battle, meaning he could theoretically pull out whatever gimmick he needs depending on the situation, although he'd still need to choose carefully due to only being allowed to use one.

I think Dracovish could also be a fun option here due to being a Fossil Pokemon, and Steven does have a fascination with those and is even going to use one of them here.
Ash can use that Fishious Rend hax.

When you brought this all up, it made me realize that for a pseudo-legendary Pokémon that is fairly unique among its 600 BST peers, Metagross has had very lackluster showings in the anime... Even now, Steven's will ultimately wind up beaten, adding to the list of KOes.
Does it, though? Sure, Metagross as a species has lost plenty of times, but most of them got some KO’s or at least were a force to be reckoned with in their respective battles.

Hell, Steven’s held its own against freaking Primal Kyogre.

Does it, though? Sure, Metagross as a species has lost plenty of times, but most of them got some KO’s or at least were a force to be reckoned with in their respective battles.
From the Metagross we've seen, I haven't considered any of them to be destructive forces in battle or notably different from other Pokémon that are typically animated in battles; I suppose you may consider Tyson's, but the Hoenn League was full of OHKOs or double knockouts towards the end that it's hard for me to gauge how strong some of those Pokémon actually were and what was a writing choice done for the sake of time (ex. Ash's Glalie taking a large amount of super-effective punishment during its double battle against Charizard and Quilava, but immediately being oneshot after its Ice Beam and Sceptile's Solar Beam collided - the first and only moves they used).

But back to Metagross, I suppose getting clean KOes does help and I will acknowledge your point of the species generally having a substance to their fights; that's certainly a better track record than the Goodra we've seen. But it would be nice if they got and kept most of the KOes though, like several Dragonite we've seen and Cynthia's Garchomp. The fact that it's very tit for tat if isn't getting knocked out first (like Alain's, the Psychic's from Hearthome, Paul's, etc.) feels lackluster to me as a pseudo legendary Pokémon.
Hell, Steven’s held its own against freaking Primal Kyogre.
I think this a bit of an exaggeration; iirc, it only landed a single Meteor Mash (after having its Flash Cannon evaded) before getting sent flying by a flick of the tail, and being put out the fight. If we want to talk about regular Pokémon holding their own against Legendaries, I'd say Forrest's Rhyperior and Ash's Torkoal are better examples.

Anyway, don't we all agree Mega Metagross will be harder to pass more than any other Metagross Ash won before?

The writer brought Paul only to point Ash should be ready to face the aces, cause they are their trainers poserhouse. All of this focus just for Steven's Metagross to be any less than amazing? Nah..

Plus, To point any battle of Steven back then just to conclude his present version of him is not wise. If pointing anything related to Ash; when he faced a very over powered MCX he didnt lose like the others on its prime.

Regarding Metagross, I'll post again a comment I made last year about popular Pokemon being portrayed as "losers":
Since the series is written from a protagonist point of view, if a Pokemon isn't in the main cast and isn't a rival or champion's ace chances are that it's battle record is going to be terrible.
The only box Metagross checks is the champion one, and we haven't even seen Steven battle much. And actually I'm iffy is it counts as Steven wasn't the dominant champion in neither XY or Journeys.

Metagross could have been portrayed as a heavy-hitter like Cameron's Hydreigon and taken out many Pokemon in Ash vs Tyson, but I'm glad it didn't happen, as it would have made the battle even more rushed and complicated to write and would have robbed Ash's team of some of their victories.

Metagross could have been portrayed as a heavy-hitter like Cameron's Hydreigon and taken out many Pokemon in Ash vs Tyson, but I'm glad it didn't happen, as it would have made the battle even more rushed and complicated to write and would have robbed Ash's team of some of their victories.
I mean, the only two Pokemon of Ash's who've beat a Metagross are Pikachu (twice, and most likely about to become thrice! :oops:) and most recently, Gengar. I guess Tauros kinda did too, buuuut a tie's not exactly a win. (And no, Chimchar beating that one in the Hearthome Tag Battle doesn't really count because technically it was still Paul's Pokemon then, not Ash's, even though Ash commanded it......I don't know. That one's a technicality.)

Since Satoshi is going to be battling three times in this tournament it seems, I imagine he'll go through one use of Mega Evolution, one use of a Z-Move and one use of Dynamax.

Personally, I see this battle being the one where he uses a Z-Move. I could definitely imagine Satoshi finishing Daigo's Metagross off with a 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt.

I actually suspect Gengar will beat Metagross and that he learned Will o Wisp so he can use Max Flare for that.

If Ash beats Leon I expect it'll be Pikachu to do so, since winning the world championship with his starter is obvious. In addition all his major victories--Drake, Brandon, and Kukui--were done with Pikachu.
(The Alola League is debateable, but Kukui being the in-game champion and that being the full battle makes me think it's intended as the real finale more than Gladion was).

I actually suspect Gengar will beat Metagross and that he learned Will o Wisp so he can use Max Flare for that.
Will-O-Wisp is a status move. It will become Max Guard, not Max Flare.
(The Alola League is debateable, but Kukui being the in-game champion and that being the full battle makes me think it's intended as the real finale more than Gladion was).
Kukui wasn't the Champion. He was the player's first challenger.

Will-O-Wisp is a status move. It will become Max Guard, not Max Flare.
Oh drat, I never used Max Guard and forgot that was how it worked.

My prediction of Gengar winning remains though. Will O wisp could be very helpful against Metagross and Ghost is also strong against it.

Kukui wasn't the Champion. He was the player's first challenger.
I should have said he had the same role as the champions as the final pre-credits boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom