• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN118: Satoshi Goes into Battle! VS Daigo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know exactly how Ash is gonna defeat Steven Stone. He has access to all 3 gimmicks, and he might be the only one with access to Z-Moves. Each battle we'll see one of them. He's using Pikachu's Z-Move somewhere, Gigantamax Gengar somewhere, and Mega Lucario somewhere. He could switch it up though and bring out Gigantamax Pikachu though.

I really don't know exactly how Ash is gonna defeat Steven Stone. He has access to all 3 gimmicks, and he might be the only one with access to Z-Moves. Each battle we'll see one of them. He's using Pikachu's Z-Move somewhere, Gigantamax Gengar somewhere, and Mega Lucario somewhere. He could switch it up though and bring out Gigantamax Pikachu though.
My guess is:
Gigantimax Gengar vs Steven
Mega Lucario Vs Cynthia
Z-move Pikachu Vs Leon

But not knowing for sure adds a bit of spice to the tournament. For all we know one of the gimmicks might actually go unused.

My guess is:
Gigantimax Gengar vs Steven
Mega Lucario Vs Cynthia
Z-move Pikachu Vs Leon

But not knowing for sure adds a bit of spice to the tournament. For all we know one of the gimmicks might actually go unused.
It could be and I kinda hope it will wind up this way. We could see the Z-Move not even be used. I kinda hope Ash uses Gigantamax Pikachu again against Leon's Gigantamax Charizard. Which I'd love to see Ash defeat cause I just want a Charizard to have a major loss for once.

It could be and I kinda hope it will wind up this way. We could see the Z-Move not even be used. I kinda hope Ash uses Gigantamax Pikachu again against Leon's Gigantamax Charizard. Which I'd love to see Ash defeat cause I just want a Charizard to have a major loss for once.

I don't think the writers would have Ash, the Alola Champion, not using a single Pokemon or gimmick which would represent the region. Cynthia might be using Kommo-o, but that just doesn't cut it for Alola representation.

It seems more than likely that each Champion would be using at least one Pokemon/gimmick from their respective region in their first match alone (We don't talk about Johto), so Ash would be the odd man out if he doesn't show off Z-Moves at all throughout the Masters Eight Tournament.

The current opening shows Ash's Mega Lucario using its giant Aura Sphere against Gigantamax Charizard, so that's likely going to be the gimmick that Ash will be using against Leon. The opening also showcases Ash using all three of his gimmicks in the PWC stadium, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing each of them at least once in this tournament.

Since Pikachu and Gengar will be used in the match against Steven, then Ash will likely be using either his Z-Move or G-Max here. Then whichever of the two is unused here will be showcased in the match against Cynthia. That leaves Mega Lucario for the match against Leon.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the anime won't be following the events shown in the opening exactly, as proven by the people here who are eternally traumatized by Charizard not battling Reshiram. But in this case, I think the anime is a good indicator of the gimmicks that Ash will be using in this tournament, specifically that Mega Lucario will be used against Leon, and that a Z-Move will be used at least once against someone else.

The fact that Gengar is even being used in this battle at all makes me think it's going to Gigantamax. If the semifinals are also 3v3, then Ash will most likely use the 3 Pokemon he didn't use in this battle against Cynthia.

I think like moat of you that a Z move will be used in the final against Leon, mainly because Ash-Lucario with its special aura is already OP enough and it should be Pikachu with the extra gimick in the final.
And it realy is making sense that round 1 will bw about Gmax as we saw Gengar here. The gmax foem and evwn it's super effective moves can be the key to the winning against Metagross.
So I think it is the best guess realy, and prob Mega Lucario will be the important one to take down Cynthia.

The current opening shows Ash's Mega Lucario using its giant Aura Sphere against Gigantamax Charizard, so that's likely going to be the gimmick that Ash will be using against Leon. The opening also showcases Ash using all three of his gimmicks in the PWC stadium, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing each of them at least once in this tournament.

Since Pikachu and Gengar will be used in the match against Steven, then Ash will likely be using either his Z-Move or G-Max here. Then whichever of the two is unused here will be showcased in the match against Cynthia. That leaves Mega Lucario for the match against Leon.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the anime won't be following the events shown in the opening exactly, as proven by the people here who are eternally traumatized by Charizard not battling Reshiram. But in this case, I think the anime is a good indicator of the gimmicks that Ash will be using in this tournament, specifically that Mega Lucario will be used against Leon, and that a Z-Move will be used at least once against someone else.
Well, if Ash's battle against Leon is a 6v6, we could very well end up seeing all three gimmicks used against G-Max Charizard. If this is the case, then I'd like for Pikachu to be the one to deal the final blow instead of Lucario, since Pikachu is the only one of Ash's team that's had any sort of interaction with Leon's Charizard, meaning that anyone else beating it wouldn't be meaningful in the slightest. Besides, Pikachu is Ash's first Pokemon, so if anyone deserves to be the one to win the World Championship for the kid, it's the mouse.

Another possibility is that Leon will reveal to have Mega Evolution and Z-Moves too, meaning that, if Pikachu were to use his Z-Move against Leon's Z-Move Pokemon, maybe he'll defeat Charizard at base with a regular attack, after Mega Lucario has exhausted the Gigantamax Form (and defeated Leon's Mega) is but defeated by Charizard in the process.

Ash will beat Steven, and I think, based on the battle that Ash had with Paul, that it will be Gengar that will deliver the final blow, especially since it has Will-O-Wisp, which seems to work as a Fire Type attack (not as a status) in the anime. The only reason Ash will beat Steven is because of Plot armor.

It will be a close match.

Ash will beat Steven, and I think, based on the battle that Ash had with Paul, that it will be Gengar that will deliver the final blow, especially since it has Will-O-Wisp, which seems to work as a Fire Type attack (not as a status) in the anime. The only reason Ash will beat Steven is because of Plot armor.

It will be a close match.
Ummmm.........they literally showed Will-O-Wisp working as a status move in the battle against Paul, where it only burned Metagross, nothing more. (Paul even specifically mentions the burn Metagross is suffering from.) What you're saying would have been true in the past, since that is how Will-O-Wisp was portrayed in the anime, that is, until now.

Also, what? You think the only reason Ash will win because of plot armor.....right. Why are there people who want Ash to lose??? Is it so hard for all of you to admit Ash has grown very strong as a trainer after all these years and is more than capable now?? The close match part will be probably be true, at least. Steven is another very strong trainer, so this isn't gonna be a cakewalk or anything. Still, I feel like you (and all the other naysayers out there should give Ash more credit. He's far beyond the trainer he once was.

Ummmm.........they literally showed Will-O-Wisp working as a status move in the battle against Paul, where it only burned Metagross, nothing more. (Paul even specifically mentions the burn Metagross is suffering from.) What you're saying would have been true in the past, since that is how Will-O-Wisp was portrayed in the anime, that is, until now.

Also, what? You think the only reason Ash will win because of plot armor.....right. Why are there people who want Ash to lose??? Is it so hard for all of you to admit Ash has grown very strong as a trainer after all these years and is more than capable now?? The close match part will be probably be true, at least. Steven is another very strong trainer, so this isn't gonna be a cakewalk or anything. Still, I feel like you (and all the other naysayers out there should give Ash more credit. He's far beyond the trainer he once was.
I don't want Ash to lose. I was in the camp to have Ash win in Kalos and was very excited when he won in Alola. I just want the win to be convincing, that is all I meant. I admit he is a very strong trainer.

I can totally predict Lucario being the one to take down Leon’s Charizard since the anime has a habit of making the Pokemon with the type disadvantage win. I can picture the final round where Ash brings out Lucario against Charizard, then someone in the audience (like Goh, Chloe, etc) saying: “Oh no this is bad, Lucario being a steel type has the disadvantage over a fire type like Charizard”.

But in the end Lucario somehow pulls out a super effective steel type that causes Charizard to faint. Because anime logic and the power of friendship.

I can totally predict Lucario being the one to take down Leon’s Charizard since the anime has a habit of making the Pokemon with the type disadvantage win. I can picture the final round where Ash brings out Lucario against Charizard, then someone in the audience (like Goh, Chloe, etc) saying: “Oh no this is bad, Lucario being a steel type has the disadvantage over a fire type like Charizard”.

But in the end Lucario somehow pulls out a super effective steel type that causes Charizard to faint. Because anime logic and the power of friendship.
That just shows how strong Lucario is

I don't want Ash to lose. I was in the camp to have Ash win in Kalos and was very excited when he won in Alola. I just want the win to be convincing, that is all I meant. I admit he is a very strong trainer.
OK, it's just.....when I hear people say things like,"he'll win with plot armor alone," it makes think they want Ash to lose. Or in hindsight, what you were probably getting at what the fact that Journeys doesn't make Ash's wins very convincing, nor the battles very good. Which I totally agree with you on. The battles in Journeys are lackluster and mediocre compared to the battles in say, the XY series. There isn't even really a comparison. The difference is night and day.

It's more likely to be Pikachu than Lucario.

A Charizard losing at the end of a league to a not-very-effective move would be karmic though.;)
Yes, it would, but not this Charizard. As others have already said, it's most likely going to be a team effort between multiple pokemon on Ash's team to take down Leon's Charizard. Just like how he took down Drake's Dragonite in the Orange League the same way.

In this case I can picture Pikachu taking down Charizard using a not very effective Iron Tail or Max Steelspike instead of a super effective Electric attack
Actually (and I'll talk more about this later in a battle headcanon thread I plan on writing,) the move I hope Pikachu takes down Charizard with is its best move, the one it took down freakin' Latios and Regice with, in a surprise return: Volt Tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom