• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN119: Koharu and Eievui - The Miracle of Evolution

Soooo........apparently Galarian Mr. Mime debuted in this episode. (If you can call a millisecond-long cameo a debut appearance. :cautious:) Hell, I don't even like Galarian Mr. Mime and I even I think it deserved better than this. Is this what counts as a debut appearance these days? Because honestly, it's just sad, how little the writers care about this series sometimes. Galar deserved better. Sword and Shield were definitely meh, so this was their chance to give the Galar region a revitalization, like the XY series did for Kalos! Instead, Journeys shafted Galar even harder than the games did. Ugggggh.........:cautious:

They put a clip show in the masters 8 tournament.

THEY PUT A FUCKING CLIP SHOW IN THE MASTERS 8 TOURNAMENT.
Who at the anime staff thought this was a good idea?
Also, what hell was wrong with the audio in this episode? Maybe it's just the site I'm using to watch it but the audio randomly goes from very quiet to ear bleedingly loud multiple times sometime in the same scene. Who the hell edited the audio in this episode it's terrible.

EDIT: Turns out it was just my computer that was causing the weird audio stuff, so not the episode's fault.

Last edited:
Why is everyone assuming that JN121 is a clip show? Regardless, these Chloe episodes are definitely momentum killers. Building up viewership with the Masters Eight episodes, then pulling it away for two Chloe episodes, is stupidly daring.
It's like using a Pokemon League episode to focus on Axew getting lost. It's the event the season has been building up to with episodes dedicated to developing rivals, battle training and gym battles. Don't waste one of the episodes on something that could be in a filler episode any point of the season.

They remark seven mysteries of Sakuragi Institute in the beginning of the episode, and Mr. Mime chooses which one he wants to focus on. We might end up having 6 more of those episodes by the end of Journeys series.
With the rest of the Masters Eight stuff being a month or two (assuming the semi-finals and finals have battles that last across multiple episodes), and Scarlet and Violet coming out in November, that still leaves some time to fill.

Not really. Even the non-flashback bits used recycled animation.
This reminds of the second clip episode from The Simpsons, which was made almost entirely out of recycled animation. Although even the writers there were ashamed of that clip episode. Unfortunately, the anime could be getting a second clip episode soon.
They remark seven mysteries of Sakuragi Institute in the beginning of the episode, and Mr. Mime chooses which one he wants to focus on. We might end up having 6 more of those episodes by the end of Journeys series.
With all the problems Journeys had, some of whom can be abrupted to the COVID-19 pandemic, if they rush through the Masters Eight with Ash losing to Cynthia just for one final arc with the seven mysteries, and these mysteries either have no ties to SV and/or are all caused by Grookey, well...

Don't get me wrong. I kind of liked the episode because the idea of using both a TV and radio show to retell and basically sum up Chloe's story with Eevee was actually pretty creative. I shows the writers put some serious thinking into it.

BUT....this was probably the worst timing ever. The episode should have aired much earlier because it absolutely doesn't belong here when the Masters Tournament semifinals are just about to start. I don't know what the writers were thinking when doing this. It destroyed all the excitement that has been built up since the tournament started.
Instead of giving us such unnecessary clipshows at this stage, they better had reserved these valuable time slots for two or three-parters in the Masters Tournament. Oh dear...

Urgh I was all on board for a break from the Masters 8 tournament when I though they were going to conclude Chloe’s story over 2 episodes.

I suppose them doing a clip show is them acknowledging how disjointed Chloe’s story has been.

And I thought the Axew episode during the Unova League was pointless and ill-placed.

Has Chloe really done enough that she needs a clip show episode dedicated to her? Or is it because she's hasn't done that much that they think the audience needs a reminder?

Would it be an exaggeration to say this is even worse than the myriad of clip show episodes in Yugioh Vrains? Because I don't think even they were this pace breaking.

The masters 8 has already been pretty disappointing so far so what the hell gave them the idea to put TWO Chloe episodes in the middle of it?
I personally believe the clip show could've been done to save the animators time and money in preparation for the following M8 battles, which are going to be longer and bigger than the quarterfinals matches.

I personally believe the clip show could've been done to save the animators time and money in preparation for the following M8 battles, which are going to be longer and bigger than the quarterfinals matches.
Is there any indication that the upcoming M8 battles will actually be longer episodes?

Is there any indication that the upcoming M8 battles will actually be longer episodes?
The semifinals battles are numbered, similar to the Sword and Shield arc, so they will like be at least one more, perhaps two semifinals episodes still coming, which would mean that the battles last for more than one episode.

The semifinals battles are numbered, similar to the Sword and Shield arc, so they will like be at least one more, perhaps two semifinals episodes still coming, which would mean that the battles last for more than one episode.
Well with how the battles been so far I have little hope that this is going to help. From what I see all this did was break the pacing and what little momentum JN had.

I think a two-week break would've done the job fine enough, we didn't need a clip show. Sure maybe they wanted to give us something while we wait for the masters 8 to resume again but two Chloe episodes weren't necessary, they should've done this LONG before the masters 8, if they wanted to have a break in the masters 8 they could've done something else entirely, maybe have an intermission in the league instead of a clip show. If they wanted to prepare for the next few master's 8 battles wouldn't a two-week break make more sense?

I think a two-week break would've done the job fine enough, we didn't need a clip show. Sure maybe they wanted to give us something while we wait for the masters 8 to resume again but two Chloe episodes weren't necessary, they should've done this LONG before the masters 8, if they wanted to have a break in the masters 8 they could've done something else entirely, maybe have an intermission in the league instead of a clip show. If they wanted to prepare for the next few master's 8 battles wouldn't a two-week break make more sense?
If there was no clip show there would be a break. So what difference does it make? You don't seem to understand the clip shows would be the same thing as a break. They're there to skip a week.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom