• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN119: Koharu and Eievui - The Miracle of Evolution

If there was no clip show there would be a break. So what difference does it make? You don't seem to understand the clip shows would be the same thing as a break. They're there to skip a week.
Eh, fair but my problem is that this clip show is awkwardly placed in the masters 8. Having a clip show placed in the masters 8 kills the momentum of it.

Eh, fair but my problem is that this clip show is awkwardly placed in the masters 8. Having a clip show placed in the masters 8 kills the momentum of it.
I would definitely have preferred a two week break and save the Chloe and Eevee conclusion for afterwards.

This episode was like: wth..
There were fat worst episodes in JNs.. if we eliminate the factor it is in the middle of the Pwc it is ok for a clip show.. can understand the bored or those prefered not even watching it.. but it is still better than break if the next episode already about Chloe...

Genuine question, what was even the point of this episode?

To give the show's animators a break for the week while still, technically, delivering a "new episode" of Pocket Monsters.

The show's production has just never seemed to recover from COVID, somehow. We just had a two-week break, we got a clip show last week, we're getting another break later this month...and all this is going on, by the way, while we're in the second summer in a row without a new movie.

Pocket Monsters used to be famous for being a show with one of the best production schedules in the business but now it feels like it's barely hanging on from week to week.

To give the show's animators a break for the week while still, technically, delivering a "new episode" of Pocket Monsters.

The show's production has just never seemed to recover from COVID, somehow. We just had a two-week break, we got a clip show last week, we're getting another break later this month...and all this is going on, by the way, while we're in the second summer in a row without a new movie.

Pocket Monsters used to be famous for being a show with one of the best production schedules in the business but now it feels like it's barely hanging on from week to week.
Do you think they'll ever recover from COVID? Or is this the end of the Pokemon anime for good? :unsure: (The latter thing is extremely unlikely, I know.)

Do you think they'll ever recover from COVID? Or is this the end of the Pokemon anime for good? :unsure: (The latter thing is extremely unlikely, I know.)
I doubt that they’ll never recover from the impact of Covid. The entire planet was impacted greatly by it but slowly but surely we’ve been getting back to normal. Can’t really say to what degree the production issues with the current series are related to the pandemic and what could be other issues but, for how it’s impacted Journeys and their plans for it, hopefully the next series will be the refresher they need.

Admittedly, I don't know how other shows or the movie industry in Japan are affected in general, but I honestly can't image that only Pokemon would be affected when the global pandemic basically hit all sectors of public life.

Admittedly, I don't know how other shows or the movie industry in Japan are affected in general, but I honestly can't image that only Pokemon would be affected when the global pandemic basically hit all sectors of public life.

Meanwhile, the current anime series of Yo-kai Watch (Yo-kai Watch♪), which like Pokemon is also produced by OLM, had an animated movie in November 2021, has not missed a single week of broadcast in 2022, and has only taken a weekly break for 3 times since it started airing in April 2021 (one of which was for New Year's Eve).

Given how the Yo-kai Watch franchise has fallen off in Japan, it really feels like TVTokyo and OLM are propping up the anime series in hopes of capturing lightning in a bottle for a second time.

Queen Cynthia said:

Every production is different. Like JinksChow just mentioned, Yokai Watch seems to be more or less back to its pre-COVID levels of production. And One Piece, a show that's been along almost as long as Pocket Monsters has, is back to pumping out episodes regularly (and also has a movie coming out later this month). Most shows that took a hit from COVID have since bounced back and are now back at 100%.

Pocket Monsters just...hasn't. I don't know if there were already long-standing issues with production and COVID was just the straw that broke the camel's back or if the staff is just somehow really bad at adapating to this new world we're living in, but something's still not right. The abnormally large number of breaks the show's still taking, the lackluster animation in most episodes, the fact that this is the first series in the franchise's history to have not one but two clip show episodes, the series director leaving halfway through...something's not right behind the scenes. Part of me is beginning to wonder if the Rocket trio not appearing so much anymore has less to do with the writers not using them and more with their high profile voice actors trying to distance themselves from show because of how bad things have gotten.

Whatever the case is, it's hard to look at a clip show episode like the one we got last night and not see it as production flailing to keep its head above water for another week.

Every production is different. Like JinksChow just mentioned, Yokai Watch seems to be more or less back to its pre-COVID levels of production. And One Piece, a show that's been along almost as long as Pocket Monsters has, is back to pumping out episodes regularly (and also has a movie coming out later this month). Most shows that took a hit from COVID have since bounced back and are now back at 100%.

Pocket Monsters just...hasn't. I don't know if there were already long-standing issues with production and COVID was just the straw that broke the camel's back or if the staff is just somehow really bad at adapating to this new world we're living in, but something's still not right. The abnormally large number of breaks the show's still taking, the lackluster animation in most episodes, the fact that this is the first series in the franchise's history to have not one but two clip show episodes, the series director leaving halfway through...something's not right behind the scenes. Part of me is beginning to wonder if the Rocket trio not appearing so much anymore has less to do with the writers not using them and more with their high profile voice actors trying to distance themselves from show because of how bad things have gotten.

Whatever the case is, it's hard to look at a clip show episode like the one we got last night and not see it as production flailing to keep its head above water for another week.
Aren't veteran VA's also paid a lot more? TR's voices have been on the show for 25 years, and unlike Ash/Pikachu, aren't essential to keep around in most episodes hence this series being their least amount of eps to date. Maybe they just can't afford to keep them around as much due to reducing costs.

Wait, didn't Diamond & Pearl have two as well, DP048 and DP120?

Whoops, I suppose it did.

Well we're apparently getting a third clip show so my point still very much stands :D

Sai said:
Aren't veteran VA's also paid a lot more? TR's voices have been on the show for 25 years, and unlike Ash/Pikachu, aren't essential to keep around in most episodes hence this series being their least amount of eps to date. Maybe they just can't afford to keep them around as much due to reducing costs.

That could be it, but it also feels like the biggest media franchise in the world should be able to easily afford whatever Hayashibara, Miki, and Inuyama are asking.

Plus, they're still around in episodes that don't feature the trio (Hayashibara is Gou's Aceburn, for example) so the voice actors themselves are still around even if the trio is not.

Well, the visuals and overall presentation are way better than previous clip shows, at the very least, and some of the narration is more character-driven than just "hey remember when this happened?"

I wouldn't have minded this if it aired someplace before the Masters Eight. What's weird is that you can't chalk up all the issues in Journeys as budget constraints, COVID or the like, there's stuff like this episode's placement that seem to be nothing more than terrible decisions.

What's weird is that you can't chalk up all the issues in Journeys as budget constraints, COVID or the like, there's stuff like this episode's placement that seem to be nothing more than terrible decisions.
Exactly. I'm willing to cut Journeys some slack because of COVID, director changes, etc. But some of their decisions have just been downright terrible. :cautious:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom