• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN120: Koharu and Eievui, the Possibilities are Endless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Pokémon Presents has been announced for Wednesday at 10pm JST (10:30pm in South Australia), with news regarding SV confirmed. I suspect if they're going to have Chloe's Eevee evolve into a new Eeveelution (I'm still expecting the reveal of Gigantamax Eevee), they'll reveal it in the Presents.

Too much focus on Clefairy and not Eevee. Couldn't they at least choose something with alternate evolutions?
I would've gone with Applin.

I don't think Clefairy would evolve into some regional Clefable or a new evolution here, let alone in Kanto and at night.

A Pokémon Presents has been announced for Wednesday at 10pm JST (10:30pm in South Australia), with news regarding SV confirmed. I suspect if they're going to have Chloe's Eevee evolve into a new Eeveelution (I'm still expecting the reveal of Gigantamax Eevee), they'll reveal it in the Presents.

I would've gone with Applin.

I don't think Clefairy would evolve into some regional Clefable or a new evolution here, let alone in Kanto and at night.
Yeah that's not happening

The Presents just aired. As far as we know, Eevee is not getting a new evolution, and neither is Clefairy, so Friday will debut either Gigantamax Eevee or the Terastal phenomenon, have Eevee remain undecided, evolve into an already established Eeveelution, or the episode turns out to have a misleading title for more baiting.

I have two guesses.

My first guess is that Eevee can utilize the Terastal gimmick because, as the trailer stated, some Eevee can change types with it, which would fit in with the way Chloe's Eevee has been using copycat.

My second guess is Eevee still doesn't know/maybe wants to search for a new evolution that no one knows about yet, and Chloe decides she wants to study how and why Eevee evolve and to potentially find a new evolution with Eevee. Could explain Professor Cerise's role in the episode (seems like he's studying how Clefairy evolve as a kid) and also gives Chloe a goal at the same time.

I have two guesses.

My first guess is that Eevee can utilize the Terastal gimmick because, as the trailer stated, some Eevee can change types with it, which would fit in with the way Chloe's Eevee has been using copycat.

My second guess is Eevee still doesn't know/maybe wants to search for a new evolution that no one knows about yet, and Chloe decides she wants to study how and why Eevee evolve and to potentially find a new evolution with Eevee. Could explain Professor Cerise's role in the episode (seems like he's studying how Clefairy evolve as a kid) and also gives Chloe a goal at the same time.
I feel like that plotline only makes sense if we are getting a new eveelution. Knowing that were not, this feels pointless

Guys Chloe evee terestalizing doesn't even make any sense. How does that even tie into her arc at all. As boring as the "perfect the way you are/don't need to choose a goal" conclusion is, it actually makes sense and is forshadowed a bit. Not only would they have to introduce the concept waay early before gen 9 anime, but explain it as well. Pretty sure u can't just do it out of the blue. You need to be in paldea. This all seems like copium lol

Guys Chloe evee terestalizing doesn't even make any sense. How does that even tie into her arc at all. As boring as the "perfect the way you are/don't need to choose a goal" conclusion is, it actually makes sense and is forshadowed a bit. Not only would they have to introduce the concept waay early before gen 9 anime, but explain it as well. Pretty sure u can't just do it out of the blue. You need to be in paldea. This all seems like copium lol
It's a combination of how predictable the "perfect just the way you are!" plotline is (which is on top of the fact that it's been milked to death: pretty much every saga barring Kalos had at least one Pokemon in the main cast having some kind of story or arc about it proving itself better than its evolved form and/or refusing to evolve, with Pikachu in particular getting one multiple times over the course of the whole anime because Raichu in particular must be constantly raked over the coals for the crime of existing I guess) combined with the understandable frustration that the supposed female main character was used solely for a plotline so barebones that it's been a minor subplot in practically every other era. See, not wanting to evolve makes sense for a Pokemon, since Pokemon's version of evolution isn't a process that's strictly tied to development or age, but when that plotline is made parallel to a human's growth (something that's inevitable) it kinda comes with some unfortunate implications: basically, what this conclusion would be saying would essentially be that Chloe should never come to a decision about her path in life and that her supposed journey of self-discovery was ultimately pointless because there was never anything to discover.

Staff list, courtesy of Dephender.

Screenplay 松井亜弥 (Aya Matsui)
Storyboard 永島明子 (Akiko Nagashima)
Episode Director 佐々木純人 (Sumito Sasaki)
Animation Director 五十嵐俊介 (Shunsuke Igarashi)

I don't think the idea behind Chloe's arc was bad, but it had two big problems with the execution:
  1. Redundancy/Predictability: It's important to have foreshadowing but not to the point where you spoil the whole lesson at the beginning, as "You don't have to make a choice now" is said almost word-by-word in JN011. People are going to get bored if those early lessons don't have a twist.
  2. Lack of stakes/drama: We never see Chloe succumbing to the pressure of living to his father's status or everyone but her choosing careers, so it's hard to get invested when keeping on studying seems like a natural and healthy choice. Compare it to Lillie and all she had to go through to finally be able to touch all Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom