• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN120: Koharu and Eievui, the Possibilities are Endless!

Feels like I'm in the most minor minority ever here, because I absolutely adored the episode in and of itself. Like seriously, I think Aya Matsui is my favorite Pokémon writer at the moment. She nails the slice-of-life format (no wonder Sun & Moon was so great!) and knows how to keep things interesting through characters and dialogue more than action.

I think the real issue is just the context in which it's airing. Not only alongside two clip shows right in the middle of the tournament, but also how it's presented as some sort of "finale" for Koharu's arc when it's more of a Sakuragi-focus episode. Had this been like, a "regular" late-series episode, it would've worked so much better. It really shows how Journeys' episodes seem to be written in a vaccum and fit into the chronology as an afterthought.

Feels like I'm in the most minor minority ever here, because I absolutely adored the episode in and of itself. Like seriously, I think Aya Matsui is my favorite Pokémon writer at the moment. She nails the slice-of-life format (no wonder Sun & Moon was so great!) and knows how to keep things interesting through characters and dialogue more than action.

I think the real issue is just the context in which it's airing. Not only alongside two clip shows right in the middle of the tournament, but also how it's presented as some sort of "finale" for Koharu's arc when it's more of a Sakuragi-focus episode. Had this been like, a "regular" late-series episode, it would've worked so much better. It really shows how Journeys' episodes seem to be written in a vaccum and fit into the chronology as an afterthought.
It would have been an okay filler if it had aired 30 episodes ago, but right in the middle of the Masters 8 tournament? That was always bound to cause some complaints.

It would have been an okay filler if it had aired 30 episodes ago, but right in the middle of the Masters 8 tournament? That was always bound to cause some complaints.
Yeah I also hate the placement of the episode, but a lot of people seem to have issues with the story too. Reminds me of that "Love is a Psyduck" episode which I also loved while everyone was "meh", so I guess it's mostly a matter of taste.

Last edited:
I definitely don’t think this episode was bad at all but it really should’ve been titled differently because it really doesn’t focus much at all on the finality of Chloe’s character or goal and it DEFINITELY didn’t need to air in the middle of the most anticipated arc all season. If this aired during one of JN’s many filler dry spells no one would mind it but because it did Chloe has become a unfortunate fandom target and her hatedom shot up tremendously (especially on twitter dear god). They basically fed her to the wolves and it’s so unfortunate because she deserved better.

I feel like this ep really helps cement one of, if not the biggest problem surrounding Chloe's episodes, that is the fact that they're always about somebody else. Never about her.

Not only is Chloe snore-inducing, but she's basically a side character in her own life and frankly, that's depressing. When "''her'''' episodes aren't about what Eevee wants, they're about somebody she just met, or her family and friends, or even some random Pokémon.

She just feels like an "unwanted guest" in her ->own<- story and man... Ouch. I don't even like her, and I feel bad.

FZb37hIX0AAtkf7.jpg

Tell that to Ash

Tired of the "injured pokemon, human saves, become besties" story the anime keep milking and milking. They had it with ash, clemont, cerise, Lana, etc. It's like they can't think of any other interesting backstory or premise. It's sweet but boring. And as someone said, I'm tired of the "POkeMon aRe AMaziNg!!11" constant reaction. Honestly that's what I liked about Chloe, how she didn't really care all that much. It was far more interesting, I'm sure not everyone cares or like pokemon. But they turned her into that generic nice girl

Honestly, she should've had A N Y T H I N G besides an Eevee. Becoming JN's "Eevee Girl" doomed her.
I don't think it's entirely fair to say that Chloe was doomed by becoming "the Eevee girl" so much as the anime staff clearly didn't want her to do anything else besides that. Chloe is literally the human version of Ash's Unfezant, who was similarly an ostensive part of the main cast of her saga from early on, but in the end did only one single thing of note and was treated like absolute garbage by the writing otherwise. I don't know why the Pokemon anime insists on doing stuff like this: if they don't want to work with these characters in the first place, why even make them at all?

Tired of the "injured pokemon, human saves, become besties" story the anime keep milking and milking. They had it with ash, clemont, cerise, Lana, etc. It's like they can't think of any other interesting backstory or premise. It's sweet but boring. And as someone said, I'm tired of the "POkeMon aRe AMaziNg!!11" constant reaction. Honestly that's what I liked about Chloe, how she didn't really care all that much. It was far more interesting, I'm sure not everyone cares or like pokemon. But they turned her into that generic nice girl
The show is called Pokémon, it’s a show about Pokémon, having a semi recurring character not eventually come to appreciate and participate in the world of Pokémon would be pretty stupid to do

It's kind of weird in retrospect that Serena had the best handled Eevee of the show, and I remember back when XY was airing people were kinda mixed on it too because of its Stage fright.

Now unironically Serena's Eevee retroactively became the best handled one seeing how Lana's and Koharu's were handled. (May's unfortunately came too late in AG and didn't do much).

Can the writers please stop giving main characters an Eevee? It's beyond old at this point.
To be somewhat fair, it's not main characters having Eevees that is the problem, it's the fact that the anime staff clearly doesn't want to do anything actually interesting with them: last saga they did literally nothing with Sandy despite hyping his debut to kingdom come and now they created an arc about choosing a path using the Eevee family as a metaphor for it and gave it literally no conclusion. Not even a definite decision to keep Eevee as an Eevee.

However, the fact that the anime staff just keeps creating flop after flop with MC Eevees does reinforce the feeling that they should maybe leave it off the main cast for a Generation or two. They clearly don't want to do anything with it, so why do they even bother adding it? Because speaking as a diehard Eevee fan, I really don't see how constantly putting Eevee in the main cast only for it to take up space and be useless could possibly please anybody. If anything that kind of arrangement displeases basically everybody: people who dislike Eevee are unhappy at it being prominent in the first place, but those of us who love Eevee are also unhappy because it never gets to do anything that's actually cool. So the writers really need to pick a lane: either keep adding Eevee to the main cast but actually commit to treating it like a proper part of said main cast and thus do literally anything remotely interesting with it, or just don't put it in the main cast at all if they'd rather not do the former.

The show is called Pokémon, it’s a show about Pokémon, having a semi recurring character not eventually come to appreciate and participate in the world of Pokémon would be pretty stupid to do
Not really. Having a character who may not be as fund of Pokemon can be an interesting angle. I'm sure not everyone who live in the pokemon world like pokemon. Tits a different side to the world, which is important for world building

The problem really lies in Game Freak and TPCi. They keep pushing Eevee without adding a new Eeveelution. Pikachu gets away with being a mascot because Ash's is a powerhouse in the anime and virtually everyone grew up with it. In contrast, the Eevee in the anime are switched out.

I've always thought that Chloe's Eevee should have been based on the partner Eevee from Let's Go. That way it would have learned a special move after each Eeveelution interaction, and Chloe would have pursued Kanto gyms to conclude her arc.

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that Chloe was doomed by becoming "the Eevee girl" so much as the anime staff clearly didn't want her to do anything else besides that. Chloe is literally the human version of Ash's Unfezant, who was similarly an ostensive part of the main cast of her saga from early on, but in the end did only one single thing of note and was treated like absolute garbage by the writing otherwise. I don't know why the Pokemon anime insists on doing stuff like this: if they don't want to work with these characters in the first place, why even make them at all?
I genuinely get the feeling that the answer to that is just to tick a box. In Koharu’s case, rather than them actually making her into an integral part of a trio in the series, they basically just created her to be the token girl of the group with nothing more impressive planned for her beyond just existing, while all the actual plot went to Ash and Go. And honestly, after the previous females we’ve had in the cast since the start, that’s kinda depressing. Even Misty back in the OS had more going on for her in a time before they gave the female leads a real story alongside Ash’s.

For me it was a closer for Chloe to bond with her father, and she grew up. Her will had been focused to be different from him at the start of JNs, but now she thibks he is cool after all and his advice maters.

But damn thats a realy bad episode to throw now between battles, maybe in episode 95 or so it would be great. And the clip show is pointless than ever was..... and the fact we get another clip show right after with breaks just make it insanely bad.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom