• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN121: The Climax Begins! Satoshi's Masters Tournament Experience!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these clip shows are so grim. Timing couldn't be worse. I was okay with the Chloe episode breaking up the tournament a bit (a little reprieve between rounds isn't so bad) but three episodes away from it with two of them being clip shows? I just can't understand why Journeys loves to stop its own momentum.

Well, Pokemon JN swapped the roles of its Executive Director and Director in JN118, so maybe the new Executive Director wanted to reboot production by putting in some clip shows to give the anime staff a break.

Not that this excuses getting 2 clip show episodes in 3 weeks, but perhaps things will get better from this point on...

All these clip shows are so grim. Timing couldn't be worse. I was okay with the Chloe episode breaking up the tournament a bit (a little reprieve between rounds isn't so bad) but three episodes away from it with two of them being clip shows? I just can't understand why Journeys loves to stop its own momentum.
They're likely beginning pre-production on the next series while being swamped with finishing this one, that's also why there's been so many breaks (the 2 week break after the first round), and then possibly 3 clip shows (if Go gets one too), and the breaks in August.

It's rather obvious all these breaks/clip shows were not planned, so it's obvious something happened backstage in production. A lot of people complaining don't realize clip shows are only made to give the animators/writers time to catch up, not that they want to make these. Also the Lance/Diantha episode was outsourced to Chinese animators, which is also something that was unusual. They're not putting breaks to kill momentum on purpose, they're either behind schedule or don't have enough animators/writers to do both the end of this series and the next one at the same time.

Look like another recap episode for Ash before the true Semifinals episodes begun.

Yeah...NOT a good sign when the preview is mostly stuff we JUST saw...<_<

I thought these episodes were supposed to be breathers... I'm not sure I can handle all the intense action of the Masters 8 tournament we've already seen in one sitting.

It's rather obvious all these breaks/clip shows were not planned, so it's obvious something happened backstage in production. A lot of people complaining don't realize clip shows are only made to give the animators/writers time to catch up, not that they want to make these. Also the Lance/Diantha episode was outsourced to Chinese animators, which is also something that was unusual. They're not putting breaks to kill momentum on purpose, they're either behind schedule or don't have enough animators/writers to do both the end of this series and the next one at the same time.
My best bet is that the sudden troubled production leading to two (maybe three?) clip episodes is because COVID inflicted half of the crew. I'm speaking from experience myself; my father works at a company that handles loading and unloading dangerous chemicals from cargo ships, and in late June, there was an outbreak that inflicted half of the workforce and their families (mine included), causing massive delays that's still not recovered a month on.

Was it ever even in question?
Not really. Just that being a clip show doesn't automatically mean the episode is a main series one. We had doubts about that regarding the last one from a couple weeks ago, with misinformation even claiming at one point that it wasn't a main series episode, until Twitter confirmed that misinformation untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom