• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN122: The Semifinals I: "Overwhelming Victory"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they're going wasting precious time showing the battle with random little kids...

Slight correction, 2 recaps, 1 filler episode, and a 1-week hiatus :confused_emoji:

Okay, okay, fun's over guys...give me my new episode now...

Come on, man, I mean it! I really need a new episode! I'm getting the shakes! :sick:

OKAY, THIS ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE! GIVE ME A NEW EPISODE! OH ARCEUS, I'M DYING HERE! OH-OH ARCEUS, HERE COME THE DEE-TEES! Ariados...ARIADOS!! AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHH!!! :eek:

oh arceus, give me my new episode! :cry:

Are...are they seriously cutting away from Leon vs Diantha for A Day With Ash And Cynthia

Because what the M8 needs is more Filler, apparently

Show: focusing on Ash’s character before arguably the most important battle of his career
Fans: DAE think we need to stop the filler?!?!?!

I definitely don’t think we need to see the entire Leon vs Diantha 6v6, and if they have limited resources I’d rather they use it for Ash and Cynthia

Show: focusing on Ash’s character before arguably the most important battle of his career
Fans: DAE think we need to stop the filler?!?!?!

I definitely don’t think we need to see the entire Leon vs Diantha 6v6, and if they have limited resources I’d rather they use it for Ash and Cynthia
BASED, so are the writers.

Some people probably expected miracles.
As far as I know, JN has disappointed fans several times, so why should the M8 be any different?
Good point. But we need to take what we get I guess

The Leon/Diantha match had no choice to be off-screen when they made it a full 6 on 6. It would just be like the Alan battle but worse since you would have to show 6 pokemon lose fast instead of 3. Makes sense to do it this way since the Diantha fight isn't that important since we know the outcome. The Cynthia seem is also apparently where the flashbacks with kid Cynthia and her gible are from.

All of Leon's battles are just curbstomps till Ash which is why they're not very interesting to watch. It would also hurt Diantha's reputation more seeing 6 pokemon go down one after the other, so only seeing glimpses of the battle is a much better idea. It was obvious they weren't going to spend a full 6 on 6 showing Leon/Diantha in full, especially with the outcome being obvious.

It makes no sense to have Leon vs Diantha be a curbstomp simply because they have to nerf him for his battle with Ash (or maybe it will be another curbstomp?). Ash beat Steven barely thanks to a Z-move and he will likely defeat Cynthia in a clutch as well, so seeing him face Leon and make it look like he has a chance will be nothing but comical.

Best of both worlds would be for Diantha to at least defeat 4 of Leon's team so we can have 1) Leon is strong af narrative but slightly less impossible to beat; 2) Keep Diantha as a respectable opponent and not tarnish her rep from her battle vs Lance; 3) Keep hopes up that maybe Ash can defeat him

I think "detested" is a very strong word. Both Leon and Diantha have plenty of fans who like them :/
Small sample size but it looks like Leon might be very popular in Japan, and Diantha is about halfway.
Even in the west I see a lot of Leon fanart without even looking for it, so I think to some extent he's the victim of the general Sw/Sh backlash.

Small sample size but it looks like Leon might be very popular in Japan, and Diantha is about halfway.
Even in the west I see a lot of Leon fanart without even looking for it, so I think to some extent he's the victim of the general Sw/Sh backlash.
I mean, yeah, he's definitely a divisive character, but he obviously has about as many fans as he has detractors. And I can easily understand both sides, because on one hand Leon is a very nice and likeable character and has a very sweet dynamic with Hop and the player (as well as Ash in the anime); but on the other hand he gets way more shilling than any other previous Champion (something that in and of itself is already kind of a risky move to make with any character, because giving this amount of buildup to anyone ensures that to at least some people the shilled character will fall short of their hype),the fact that he was given a Charizard (who is divisive in its own right for similar reasons to Leon) as his ace instead of a Gen 8 Pokemon, AND the fact that he's Champion of the Generation that started the infamous Dexit policy does nothing but hurt his PR.

RIP Diantha
Alain will have done better against Leon than Diantha
I don't think so because when Leon is battling Alain, he doesn't need to Dynamax his Charizard in order to defeat Alain. In this preview, it looks like Diantha might be able to put more pressure and force him to Dynamax his Charizard and so that's why in my opinion I think Diantha will probably do much better than Alain.

I know Diantha will lose to Leon but just not as embarrassing as Alain's battle with Leon was. I mean if Leon wants to, he could have used his Charizard to beat all three of Alain's Pokemon.

We will see I suppose.

IDK, I could live with a montage cut, especially if Ash v Cynthia delivers. But hey, we won't know until Ash v Cynthia delivers or infuriates

For me, it just seems kinda odd that, in a tournament that they’ve shown in full up until now, they pick now to do jump cuts. It’s almost like the writers themselves just don’t feel like showing what would amount to just more shilling Leon in a battle that’s little more than a formality. Like they’re basically going “Yea, you’ve seen this kind of thing on repeat the whole series. No need to watch ‘Leon Curbstomps Opponent part 5.’”

(The wait I'm having for this episode is actually very nearly coinciding with the start of my new job, BTW!) If there's one thing Journeys has taught me, it's that patience really is a virtue. Hah, JK! We wait weeks on weeks for these Journeys episodes sometimes, and half the time they're not even all that good. (And that's putting aside my other issues with this series in particular.) Ash vs Cynthia and then Leon better be pretty freakin' amazing is all I can say. Because if they mess up Ash vs Cynthia.......hoooo boy. If y'all thought the Ash vs Alain backlash was bad, this might be just as bad, if not worse. (Or not, this series is nowhere near as good as the XY series was overall, which made that dissapoinment extra frustrating. And of course, it was the closest Ash had ever come to winning a league, we waited so long, they dashed our hopes, blah, blah blah, I know.) The thing is, people (myself included,) have been waiting a very long time for this Ash vs Cynthia showdown too, at 12 years. If they mess it up after all those years of waiting........people will be pissed. No way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom