• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN122: The Semifinals I: "Overwhelming Victory"

What I meant was just this is pointless complaining, every time I come to this forum or seribii or any forums at all is that the proper & polite criticism gets drown out and lost by all of this pointless whining but it is what I expected given this is the Internet we're talking
No offence but on these forums most of what I’ve seen is constructive criticism. And as someone else pointed out the vast majority has posted feedback similar to yours so I don’t know where the whining accusations are coming from. This place is much more civil than places like YouTube or Twitter.

Can I just say how toxic it is that Leon says “You made me sweat time and time again. I was just lucky today, that’s all.” when he beats Diantha 4-0? If I were Diantha, I would feel terrible that I didn’t stand any chance against the #1 seed. Leon saying that just rubs salt in a wound, it’s just rude to downplay your victory in front of the loser like that. Leon has a disgusting ego that deserves to be destroyed, but if other regional champions can’t hold a candle to him, then Leon will be encouraged to keep flexing on everyone. What an aggravating character.
Yeah, that was sort of condescending, but I guess when you're the strongest trainer in the world you deserve to be arrogant.

If Ash loses to Leon, Leon's gonna be the most disliked character up there with Cameron and Tobias.

Leon beat:

Lance
Raihan
Flint
Alan
Diantha

He's basically steamrolling all these popular and strong characters from different gens. If Leon beats Ash, that's 6 in a row. What is the point of showing this guy just beat everyone like this with nothing to learn from it?

Ash really needs to win, even if, at this point, it'll seem odd.

Can I just say how toxic it is that Leon says “You made me sweat time and time again. I was just lucky today, that’s all.” when he beats Diantha 4-0? If I were Diantha, I would feel terrible that I didn’t stand any chance against the #1 seed. Leon saying that just rubs salt in a wound, it’s just rude to downplay your victory in front of the loser like that. Leon has a disgusting ego that deserves to be destroyed, but if other regional champions can’t hold a candle to him, then Leon will be encouraged to keep flexing on everyone. What an aggravating character.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Very well put!
Let me add something: It's not that no other champion can hold a candle to him, it's simply they're not allowed to do so for the plot's sake. That's all and it so damn frustrating...

The clip show last week said Leon was using "expert tactics". However, the only one actually applying expert tactics was Diantha when she skilfully manipulated G-Max Wildfire, then combined it with two other strong attacks and by doing so excellently turned an attack into a much more powerful counter-attack.
But nooo, how dare she !!?? This is Leon the "Almighty"... Of course he can eliminate that monstrous attack with a single move. Screw the rules, no matter how ridiculous the outcome! We have to spare Leon for the big showdown with Ash that nobody... oh excuse me, of course I meant that everybody is looking forward to. (Sorry for the irony :sneaky:)

Although I could say I'm glad that more and more fans seem to start realizing what a flawed and broken character Leon is (something I've been thinking since the start of Journeys). But quite honestly, I wish I hadn't been right. I wish it had all turned out differently...

Although I could say I'm glad that more and more fans seem to start realizing what a flawed and broken character Leon is (something I've been thinking since the start of Journeys). But quite honestly, I wish I hadn't been right. I wish it had all turned out differently...
Thankfully, he's not an unlikable champion/a jerk though. Regardless, it'll still be satisfying when Ash beats him into the dirt, putting an end to his broken-ness.

Thankfully, he's not an unlikable champion/a jerk though. Regardless, it'll still be satisfying when Ash beats him into the dirt, putting an end to his broken-ness.
You're right. Still, I think Ash won't steamroll him but instead it'll be the classical showdown between the opponents' last Pokemon (Charizard vs. Pikachu or Lucario most likely).

I just want to point out how thankful I am that from all the great trainers and champions that needed to serve as fodder for Leon, Cynthia was spared. Considering the recent developments I start thinking maybe retiring was the best and smartest decision Cynthia could make.
Also, it appears to me the writers at least seem to be aware of Cynthia's extraordinary status and popularity, so they've shied away from giving us a direct confrontation between Cynthia and Leon, which is probably the best decision. Sure, the plot requires Ash of all people to defeat Leon but under "normal" circumstances where Leon is just another champion whose battles are controlled by logic and not by some ridiculous special DEM rules, a showdown between Cynthia and Leon would be the ultimate battle of dreams.

You're right. Still, I think Ash won't steamroll him but instead it'll be the classical showdown between the opponents' last Pokemon ( vs. Pikachu or most likely).
Yeah, I know. As you said, it'll almost certainly be Pikachu/Lucario (most likely the former,) vs. Charizard for the final battle, with both sides down to their last Pokemon. When I said Ash will "beat him into the dirt," I was just being overdramatic.

In the preview thread, I complained that Diantha would be getting sidelined in favor of Cynthia. I'm man enough to admit I ended up being wrong. ...she actually ended up being sidelined in favor for a pair of children we probably won't see again and an Eldegoss we're most certainly never seeing again. Joy.

Honestly, at this point, they’ve made Leon so boringly overpowered that even Ash defeating him wont feel satisfying because it just goes beyond willing suspension of disbelief thanks to their writing to the point that a win would feel like an asspull. Hell, Ash putting up a better battle than veteran champions is gonna feel ridiculous given that this current team is the most green Pokémon Ash owns. In the same vein, if Ash loses, it will also be unsatisfying. The writers have basically crafted a lose/lose situation with this one.

Honestly, at this point, they’ve made Leon so boringly overpowered that even Ash defeating him wont feel satisfying because it just goes beyond willing suspension of disbelief thanks to their writing to the point that a win would feel like an asspull. Hell, Ash putting up a better battle than veteran champions is gonna feel ridiculous given that this current team is the most green Pokémon Ash owns. In the same vein, if Ash loses, it will also be unsatisfying. The writers have basically crafted a lose/lose situation with this one.
The writers will see this next Gen and probably think “hmm, I think we didn’t make Leon impressive enough.”

Man I could not have cared less about those kids even if Cynthia's Garchomp snapped and took a bite out of them.

Also like me in my fight against Diantha, Leon didn't turn off his EXP share and steamrolled her. I honestly thought her mega would have put up more of a fight.

And Rillaboom taking 0 damage from that fire blast, the heck was that?

The writers don't exists, they're just a Hop came to life and took control of the anime department.
If Hop was writing this, the quality of the battles would be through the roof and into the next department

If you'd said Hau, I could believe that these episodes were written with one hand and a lot of Malasada dripping onto the pages

Hell, Ash putting up a better battle than veteran champions is gonna feel ridiculous given that this current team is the most green Pokémon Ash owns.
<Irony mode on>
Did you forget Ash has that out-of-this-world, ultra strong Aura Sphere up his sleeve? And if that isn't enough, we still got Pikachu's Z-move which would even finish off Arceus if needs be. ;)
<Irony mode off>
So, don't worry, no matter how ridiculously overpowered Leon might seem right now, it's nothing, literally nothing against Ash's DEM moves if the writers want him to win. Thus, one ridiculously and unrealistically overpowered trainer will be defeated by a rookie with ridiculously and unrealistically overpowered moves (while his Pokemon are still inexperienced when compared to the veteran champions) Oh joy! Can't really decide which one of the two scenarios is worse ...

Just imagine: A 100-episode-old Lucario is about to defeat Cynthia's absolute ace which has been training with her for all her life, just because of some special form of connection between trainer and Pokemon that hadn't even existed until recently.

I saw Grooky in the bed at the openning and I was like.. yes he is not gettinf lost like they suggested in the forum.. yet they were doing just that with a character Cynthia and Ash couldnt care less about....

If Hop was writing this, the quality of the battles would be through the roof and into the next department

If you'd said Hau, I could believe that these episodes were written with one hand and a lot of Malasada dripping onto the pages
If Hop wrote these battles, everyone would know and make use of type advantages.

I think I figured out how Rillaboom was made out to be so strong
Leon's ace strategy with it is Acrobatics
With that move, Rillaboom's speed makes to tricky of a target to actually hit
And once it lands a hit, Rillaboom can just pile on the onslaught with his other moves
Reason Diantha had a hard time is cause Most of her pokemon involve landing direct hits or are too slow
And it's probably why when she finally landed a hit with Goodra, Rillaboom is bulky enough to take the hit
Cause it hasn't taken much damage in the other fights
So the key to beating Rillaboom, is keeping him stationary or cut off his movement
Making him more open to attacks

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom