• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN123: The Semifinals II: "Dazzle"

Lance's Dragonite did fairly well, it was basically Lance's star since his Gyarados went down first. I'm sure Ash's will do something in Leon's.

Good episode overall. Here's what I liked:
  • I know the switches may be annoying, but it makes sense champions would use it as much as possible, specially Cynthia who was presented as someone who doesn't want to take risks.
  • The defeats make sense (save for Gengar). Through I have to say that Ash should really had changed Dragonite, Dream Eater being a very dangerous move that only works on Sleep and that presumably Spiritomb is the only member of Cynthia's team that knows it should be enough argument.
  • We saw enough progress of the battle. It was getting annoying that the previous 2 multi-part battles (VS Kukui & VS Bea) had zero defeats on their first episode, so it was refreshing that here both sides lost multiple Pokemon. It will allow upcoming matches to have decent pace.
  • Good strategies and quick pacing. I liked how Pikachu beat Gastrodon.
  • Minimal Morpeko screentime.
I'm thrilled to see where this is going, with the status changes, the switches, the Pokemon used and the constant inbalance between Ash and Cynthia it feels like a modern version of Ash vs Paul.

The defeats make sense (save for Gengar). Through I have to say that Ash should really had changed Dragonite, Dream Eater being a very dangerous move that only works on Sleep and that presumably Spiritomb is the only member of Cynthia's team that knows it should be enough argument.
Dont know if they make sense.. if you are a just coming to watch the Semis I would say the reaction for Dragonite lost would be something like "thats all?", and you got Pikachu smashing it too fast. The peoblem is they are champions and they shouldn't play so passive like Ash started and shouldn't loose to a single quick attack (put aside the rocks made the openning easier) cause their pokemon's level is not that low.

I'm thrilled to see where this is going, with the status changes, the switches, the Pokemon used and the constant inbalance between Ash and Cynthia it feels like a modern version of Ash vs Paul.
Which makes Leon seem like Tobias, only having actually been introduced prior to the league. The guy no one can beat with a signature pokemon. If Ash wins against Cynthia, lets hope he can at least give Leon's Charizard an L for once.

Some great callbacks to previous battles. Countershield is the obvious one, and it makes sense Ash pulls it back out since he developed it to deal with the Hypnosis Fantina's team had not to mention Paul utilised it in his Sinnoh League match against Ash (with a Gastrodon no less). There's also Destiny Bond taking one of Ash's team down, like how Glalie was knocked out in Ash's Hoenn League battle against Katie.

Gastrodon went down to its own stone edge + a quick attack, it makes no sense , really. Spiritomb , on the other hand , was a beast. Im glad to see pikachu being recognized as ash´s ace, and the most feared pokemon in ash´s team. The champions think that if pikachu is gone, ash is done.

I didnt understand why Cynthia is going to retire. Im also sad that she will likely lose , I like her too much.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom