• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN125: The Semifinals IV: "Impact"

There are many opinions here about how it was or wasn't. But I think there is one claim about Lucario's stading up at the end we should focus on. I don't think at all they were doing it wrong by letting him stand up, as we couldn't see the struggle from how it was animated. It was too far, maybe wanted us to feel we watch in the stadium.. stading in the end is ok, and maybe it looked freah, but to be fair Garchomp who fainted shouldn't be outside the pokeball talking to her trainer (but we ate that already everytime Pikachu fainted).

I had hopes we will get double team and reversal in this fight. And Im glad it wasn't mega sized aura who played a major role. So I am thankful for that...

or should I say tank-ful? It wasn't unbelievable this time guys. If anything I wasn't ok with the look of Lucario taking too much dmg against Togekiss. But in the end Leon says Garchomp and Mega Lucario are starting even so I guess it was fair enough guys. And to be honest it looked as if Mega Lucario had been better than unmega evolved Garchomp overall.

For the bitter sweet - animation.. I didn't like many of the situations, I thought they could make double team way better. The fist fight was a realy good call and looked fine, but I guess they could make it look better. And again the part Lucario is up on his legs, I can picture in my head more than 10 frames that could make it better.

I only tune in to the Leagues every anime, so I have no idea what else this show looks like, but goodness gracious do these fights look like absolute fucking garbage. What the fuck happened ever since X/Y???? Everything looks so... without soul.

Also, something something, Lucario being way too tanky for its species, something something Cynthia running a moveset on her Garchomp that you run when you are like 7, something something whatever. I don't really have anything to say or feel about any of this, I just wanted to say something of substance cause I don't want to come across as that guy that just comes in to dunk on the animation.

What the fuck happened ever since X/Y???? Everything looks so... without soul.
For Journeys this is good, but too frequently they've been trying to stick closer to the games, resulting in static and slow battles. Battles this series have felt slowler, more static, less creative, and less dynamic. The lack of the dynamic camera doesn't help.

For Journeys this is good, but too frequently they've been trying to stick closer to the games, resulting in static and slow battles. Battles this series have felt slowler, more static, less creative, and less dynamic. The lack of the dynamic camera doesn't help.
Honestly I don’t know if that’s a conscious effort to be more “game accurate” or it’s just the fact that battles resembling the games just happens to line up wit then being easier to animate/write and it’s mostly just lack of effort or time. Because when they WANT to still have them be dynamic (look at any Iwane ep) they can.

Honestly I don’t know if that’s a conscious effort to be more “game accurate” or it’s just the fact that battles resembling the games just happens to line up wit then being easier to animate/write and it’s mostly just lack of effort or time. Because when they WANT to still have them be dynamic (look at any Iwane ep) they can.
You have a point about Iwane episodes. Iwane is the most reliable in terms of battle episodes and they're usually more dynamic and creative. I do think there is a conscious effort to keep things more game accurate though. I mean we don't see anime exclusive towns anymore, villain climaxes are much closer to the games, and even stuff like contests are being treated this way. I think they need to step away from this game accuracy though because its starting to slipp into battles. Prime example, Lance vs. Diantha.

You have a point about Iwane episodes. Iwane is the most reliable in terms of battle episodes and they're usually more dynamic and creative. I do think there is a conscious effort to keep things more game accurate though. I mean we don't see anime exclusive towns anymore, villain climaxes are much closer to the games, and even stuff like contests are being treated this way. I think they need to step away from this game accuracy though because its starting to slipp into battles. Prime example, Lance vs. Diantha.
I honestly pray that this problem of being TOO game accurate doesen't slip into the SV anime because then it could potentially get even worse and seep into other stuff like the pokemon for example.

I honestly pray that this problem of being TOO game accurate doesen't slip into the SV anime because then it could potentially get even worse and seep into other stuff like the pokemon for example.
I think it will, cause I believe too it is something they decided in Jns.. maybe after the episodes with Ash wearing Shelder they asked themselves whats next and came with the idea..

Whatever it is, I don’t want to hear it. There is no arguing with a denialist.
Oh, does somebody sound pissed off here? ;) I find it quite daring to call me a "denialist" (whatever you mean by that term...) ,when you still don't seem to get my point.

I'm NOT denying Ash won. What I'm trying to say is the WAY he did it was not plausible and seemed forced because he needed to win and had the writers' support.
Case in point (I'm curious how often I wil lhave to repeat that): An inexperienced Lucario that is barely 100 episodes old and whose only serious "training" was that encounter with Greninja where it magically got its superhero-like Aura Sphere boost, is able to "defeat" two of Cynthia's Pokemon, including her absolute ace that she's been training for all her life. Disagree with me about whatever you like (I'm even willing to somehow accept that Sirfetch'd Dracovish's wins were somehow explainable) But at least agree with me that Lucario's were totally beyond logic and bullshit.
First, 100-episode-old Lucario effortlessly mastering that ridiculous Kyodaimax Aura Sphere and then defeating the strongest Pokemon of the number 2 trainer in the world. Sure...
I'm not denying anything! I'm just not willing to accept bullshit victories, just so that brat boy can finally become a Pokemon Master :sneaky:...and even less so when he's up against my personal idol

The fact you misconstrued the argument I made that the concept of a dark horse/underdog victory is not something new in fiction and reality with the stupid straw man that Ash is above criticism says a few things about your argument.
  1. You actually agree with me. The mere refusal to admit that a dark horse victory is a staple of both fiction and reality is a way to avoid admitting the mere possibility Cynthia could lose because you built an identity around her and how she should be defeated. It’s the same mechanism the “Alain cheated” crowd used back in XY&Z when Ash lost.
  2. You legitimately believe denialism is a valid form of criticism since you seem to equate refusing to deny what happened as not criticizing the work which is outright wrong.
If you're trying to impress me with your knowledge from your literature classes, fine. But you're still not getting my point. I don't agree with you (1) and I'm not a denialist (2).
All I want are plausible and fair victories that don't have to get a message across ("Ash must become number 1 now at all costs"). I criticizing something passionately is denialism in your eyes, well, then it's your personal definition.
And yes, even an underdog victory does have to make sense somehow and can't be totally contrived

The fact you believe I think Ash is infallible like he’s the Pope speaking ex cathedra when I flat out say that many of us hold your criticism of Journey’s story structure to be valid but hold how you criticize the story to be utterly invalid.
Then tell me what's wrong exactly with my way of criticizing ;)

It’s less about how you let real life bigotry seep into your opinions of the characters and more like how you seem to denigrate characters based on what they wear because you think wearing anything less “dignified” is somehow a slight against you personally because Cynthia is your personal self-insert character.
In that paragraph I was actually talking about Leon and Ash getting their own "arbitrary rules", not just about Leon's clothes

That doesn't reflect anything that happened in this battle though. Cynthia was in command for most of the battle and he stayed realistic comebacks with his Pokemon each time. Both Garchomp and Lucario were not in the final battle at full health, both took tons of attacks with Lucario being resistant to dragon type attacks and then the Reversal gives it the strongest attack when its HP in low. There was no other realistic way to end. Once again, why do you also not comment on what the move Reversal does? Did you purposely leave that out because you know it's a realistic way to win?
We could go on forever here. But as I explained in detail in the first paragraph, I found that "victory" really implausible and forced, given the massive difference in both Pokemon's power levels (Lucario being around for 100 episodes, Garchomp having been trained for probably decades) and the lack of Lucario's experience

People really thought this wasn't animated well? Looked fine to me. Lucario shooting the Aura Sphere at Togekiss was great and I thought the final brawl had a lot
I'm NOT denying Ash won. What I'm trying to say is the WAY he did it was not plausible and seemed forced because he needed to win and had the writers' support.
Case in point (I'm curious how often I wil lhave to repeat that): An inexperienced Lucario that is barely 100 episodes old and whose only serious "training" was that encounter with Greninja where it magically got its superhero-like Aura Sphere boost, is able to "defeat" two of Cynthia's Pokemon, including her absolute ace that she's been training for all her life. Disagree with me about whatever you like (I'm even willing to somehow accept that Sirfetch'd Dracovish's wins were somehow explainable) But at least agree with me that Lucario's were totally beyond logic and bullshit.
First, 100-episode-old Lucario effortlessly mastering that ridiculous Kyodaimax Aura Sphere and then defeating the strongest Pokemon of the number 2 trainer in the world. Sure...

The show is on a floating timeline. You're taking such an issue with Cynthia having pokemon her whole life but Pokemon do not have levels in the anime and Ash beats trainers with new Pokemon every series. Ash is still 10 years old despite traveling through 8 regions, it makes no sense but the show is on a floating timeliness like Simpsons.

As for the way Garchomp and Togekiss went down they were not only great battles but it made total sense:

1. Lucario bullet punched Togekiss to the ground at the end of the second episode. It jumped over the second airstream and bulletpunched it in the back when it was Gmax. It then got the powered up Aura Sphere which hit it directly which Togekiss even survived. Finally it unleashed a flurry of bullet punches and one final one to its face when it flew right at it. Togekiss took 4 separate attacks, more if you count each punch individually. By comparison Lucario only got hit twice.

2. Sirfetch'd already damaged Garchomp as we know. Both pokemon were not at full health. Lucario punched it in the gut so hard it panted for breath. Reversal is the strongest fighting move at low health and its win made perfect sense.

Also you choose to ignore dragon claws does minimal damage to steel pokemon. Lucario was still on the verge of fainting however due to how strong Garchomp is.

'm just not willing to accept bullshit victories, just so that brat boy can finally become a Pokemon Master :sneaky:...and even less so when he's up against my personal idol
Word of advice, maybe Cynthia being your idol as you put it doesn't make her some invincible Mary Sue either.

I'm not denying anything! I'm just not willing to accept bullshit victories,
That's literally the plot of Diamond, Pearl and Platinum games. An inexperienced trailer raises a Pokémon that ends up defeating Cynthia.

Imo Ash should lose to every opponent that’s older than him, including Gym Leaders and the like because most of them have more experienced Pokémon and therefore Ash should never be winning any of them with his comparatively newer Pokémon that he gets in each region.

What? That’s literally exactly like the games? Well shut up

Battles involving glorified powerhouse that hit like a truck and have incredible stamina, bore me as there's no real strategy. I dislike both Garchomp and Lucario, but the former's moveset was nerfed. It used to know Dig and Flamethrower.

Battles involving glorified powerhouse that hit like a truck and have incredible stamina, bore me as there's no real strategy. I dislike both Garchomp and Lucario, but the former's moveset was nerfed. It used to know Dig and Flamethrower.
Garchomp has actually known a wide array of moves. Can't remember how many exactly, but it's a lot.

It hadn't use Flamethrower since DP, over 15 years ago? Do you think the writers really care what moves it had in a previous series?

If Lucario had gotten hit by Flamethrower and kept going it would be unrealistic so I'm glad the writers opted not to do things like that. Every attack Lucario took did either neutral damage or minimal.

I honestly feel people forget Lucario is a steel pokemon and that's why people are confused why flying attacks or dragon attacks didn't do much damage. Lucario is not pure fighting.

Well, she could mega evolve too..
But it doesn't mater. Its not like Cynthia wanted to get a specific showdown, she wanted spirit tomb to continue switching. Then, when took down Pikachu with him, she did the same thing with her ace. She prob never planed the coverage as she wanted to set the pace.

If Lucario had gotten hit by Flamethrower and kept going it would be unrealistic so I'm glad the writers opted not to do things like that. Every attack Lucario took did either neutral damage or minimal.
I mostly don’t have any issues with the match but Garchomp’s move set is a glaring one. Cynthia literally prepared her team to an almost game-level competitiveness. It makes no sense to me that she literally had all offensive moves of the same time on her Garchomp. For all we know Ash sent out Mimey instead of Lucario and Garchomp would be the most embarrassing KO in the history of PWC.

I mostly don’t have any issues with the match but Garchomp’s move set is a glaring one. Cynthia literally prepared her team to an almost game-level competitiveness. It makes no sense to me that she literally had all offensive moves of the same time on her Garchomp. For all we know Ash sent out Mimey instead of Lucario and Garchomp would be the most embarrassing KO in the history of PWC.
Well in the anime Dragon Claw is for close range attacks while Draco Meteor or Scale Shot is to strike from a distance. So overlapping type moves don't really seem to be much of an issue.

Well in the anime Dragon Claw is for close range attacks while Draco Meteor or Scale Shot is to strike from a distance. So overlapping type moves don't really seem to be much of an issue.
Except for the fact that the PWT has been putting all emphasis on type advantages it can. I find it extremely inconsistent that Cynthia planned many complex tactics but added ZERO (hell, negative because it doesn’t even cover all its STAB) coverage on its Garchomp.

That Garchomp would be literally useless against a Fairy type. I’d be fine with it under usual circumstances but it comes off as jarring when Cynthia’s team looks like it came from a Showdown strat for the most part… and then you have a Garchomp a Cleffa could KO without a sweat.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom