• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN127: Go and Aceburn! The Place of Beginnings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Goh decides to give Eternatus to Leon or Magnolia to keep, that will be fine by me. Goh does look nervous seeing it and he really doesn't have the space in the professor's lab to store it. That and Goh still isn't ready to even use a powerful pokemon like Eternatus.

If Goh decides to give Eternatus to Leon or Magnolia to keep, that will be fine by me. Goh does look nervous seeing it and he really doesn't have the space in the professor's lab to store it. That and Goh still isn't ready to even use a powerful pokemon like Eternatus.
You say use as if Go was the type of trainer like Ash, May, Dawn, Leon etc who actually has any practical use for Pokémon he catches. Let’s be real, the only reason that the writers even had that Go’s pokeball was used was because his goal is filling the Pokédex and as such, there was no practical use for Ash to be the one to catch it. But for Go, it’s a Pokédex entry. Hell, it was caught to be sealed away. I highly doubt Go even considers it to be his Pokémon and it feels like it raises a question in ethics of ownership when Magnolia/Sonia/Leon tamed it while ago just gave it to them. It basically becomes a matter akin to the question of who is the real parent, the one who had the child or the one who raised them.

If Eternatus does fight alongside Leon, that would be yet another plot line Journeys has shoved in for the sake of doing so, without much thought attached.
What does this even add to Leon, as a character? He is believed to be in disappointment and uncertainty of his strength; he’s too strong that he cannot be tested, yet too weak to prevent the Darkest Day and is therefore encouraged that there’s more out there…so this is how he plans to get stronger? It just appears to be too easy, and doesn’t test himself further to notice if he can surpass his limits - take the steroids, use that insanely powerful legendary. This portrays him in a worse light, which is funny considering what he said at the end of the Diantha battle (“I was just lucky”, despite winning by four) drastically makes his character far from that you’d associate with what a Champion is, at least from how I interpreted the scene.

Leon is made out to be extremely naive. Sure, a person like Professor Magnolia would do thorough testing to allow this, but given there’s never a time stamp on this series, it’s way too soon, and to a greater extent, the fact Eternatus hasn’t been seen for ages and has absolutely no development. Sure, keeping a Pokemon locked up for eternity is cruel, but imposing a risk to the region on the dime is a bit much. Had the series established some sort of connection between Eternatus and Leon before, or anyone for that matter, maybe this would pass, but Eternatus had no real indication of it having a good nature. This is pretty forced, and hard to believe at that. Added on, how is Eternatus of all things docile? Shouldn’t all of its energy make it corrupt?

For the love of God, Journeys, don’t make another plot point just for the sole reason of making the show seem cool. I’ve had enough of the half-baked messes. Please, give a good enough explanation.

Wishful thinking is not a real indicator. Next thing you'll tell me that Go is going to leave without any conclusion.
It's not just wishful thinking. Hell, Ash just beat Cynthia of all people, did he not? Someone that was placed on a pedestal by people for years and was seemingly invincible. Their battle might not have been perfect or anything, but Ash still won. And if he can beat Cynthia, chances are prety good he'll beat Leon too. And as a final point, like many people have said Leon's ultimate purpose in the games (and just in general I think) is that he's won so many times he needs to experience losing again to move on in life. And I've a very strong hunch Ash will be that person. Plus, I just want Ash to follow through with his end goal in a series for once (the Alola League didn't exist at the beginning of the SM series, so that can't be counted as a goal,) as his goal for quite some time now has been to defeat Leon and surpass him in strength, not just merely battle him. Regardless of our differing opions, I guess we'll see what happens in a matter of weeks.

Oh, and as for Goh........I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he did leave without a conclusion. We are talking about one of the worst-written, horribly handled characters in the entire history of the anime, after all. So if you're expecting a good sendoff for Goh..........don't hold your breath. (In my opinion, the sooner we're rid of him, the better. In that sense, the end of Journeys can't come fast enough.)

Last edited:
It's not just wishful thinking. Hell, Ash just beat Cynthia of all people, did he not? Someone that was placed on a pedestal by people for years and was seemingly invincible. Their battle might not have been perfect or anything, but Ash still won. And if he can beat Cynthia, chances are prety good he'll beat Leon too. And as a final point, like many people have said Leon's ultimate purpose in the games (and just in general I think) is that he's won so many times he needs to experience losing again to move on in life. And I've a very strong hunch Ash will be that person. Plus, I just want Ash to follow through with his end goal in a series for once (the Alola League didn't exist at the beginning of the SM series, so that can't be counted as a goal,) as his goal for quite some time now has been to defeat Leon and surpass him in strength, not just merely battle him. Regardless of our differing opions, I guess we'll see what happens in a matter of weeks.

Oh, and as for Goh........I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he did leave without a conclusion. We are talking about one of the worst-writte, horribly handled characters in the entire history of the anime, after all. So if you're expecting a good sendoff for Goh..........don't hold your breath. (In my opinion, the sooner we're rid of him, the better. In that sense, the end of Journeys can't come fast enough.)
That is a big part of Leon's story. Its about moving on. Just like with the games, the most logical conclusion to his story is him losing and figuring out what he wants to do. That's a good way to set up the finale for Journeys. Ash and Leon discussing what they want to next. Ash will probably wanna continue on his journey, while I imagine Leon might takeover for Chairman Rose as the Galar League chairman.

As for Goh, I just want to be rid of him already. He has had one of the worst stories the anime has ever had. There's no benefit of keeping him around. He does have a proper exit though. He has been given the chance to become a chaser for Project Mew. He can exit the series this way. He has his first mission as a chaser, then decide he wants to stay on the team. Its an easy exit and hope to Arceus it happens cause after Project Mew, there's no benefit of keeping him around just to continue to all these pointless captures. I really think Project Mew happened because the writers realized okay he needs a better goal than just catch everything. His captures were reduced after Project Mew began also.

Plus, I just want Ash to follow through with his end goal in a series for once (the Alola League didn't exist at the beginning of the SM series, so that can't be counted as a goal,)
You know I didn't realize this piece of cursed trivia until you pointed it out but unless you count the Orange Islands as a separate series (and I personally link it to Kanto) he never has started a show with a specific goal and saw it through, has he? I don't think he even technically finished school in Alola.

Last edited:
You know I didn't realize this of cursed trivia until you pointed it out but unless you count the Orange Islands as a separate series (and I personally link it to Kanto) he never has started a show with a specific goal and saw it through, has he? I don't think he even technically finished school in Alola.
Didn't Hala or someone say that his victory over Professor Kukui counted as a final exam or something?

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but it wouldn't exactly be out of character for Ash to want do that either. He'd relish the challenge.
A saving grace would be that Leon would in turn request for Ash to make use of all three of his gimmicks, to balance it out in his eyes. Not only would that make Leon desire a greater challenge, giving a slimmer of character to him in the sense he’s similar to Ash, but it would be extremely fitting for Ash to use all three.
If they were to solely utilise one, and that would be Dynamax/Gigantamax since it hasn’t been used yet, it wouldn’t feel right knowing Ash’s least developed trick is the deciding factor, especially when the Z-Move is basically Ash’s thing. That, and I don’t see Gigantamax Gengar getting the final blow, or an extremely underrepresented Gigantamax Pikachu that wouldn’t foster any attachment to the win.

Oh, and as for Goh........I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he did leave without a conclusion. We are talking about one of the worst-written, horribly handled characters in the entire history of the anime, after all. So if you're expecting a good sendoff for Goh..........don't hold your breath. (In my opinion, the sooner we're rid of him, the better. In that sense, the end of Journeys can't come fast enough.)
I don't think it's fair to say that about Goh. I understand that is your opinion on his character and story, which is fine, but that isn't a fact or how everyone feels about his character.

I'm not sure why people think Goh wouldn't get a conclusion when Project Mew exists. People have often said that it was introduced to give Goh a better goal and/or add more structure to his goal. I can see that and I don't think that's necessarily inaccurate, but to me, it felt more like the writers were setting up for Goh's eventually departure. The sendoffs main characters get usually boil down to them continuing to work on their goal off screen. Not all of the sendoffs have been handled well of course, but I don't think it would be difficult for them to do something like Goh deciding to work at Project Mew full time or something like that.

I don't think it's fair to say that about Goh. I understand that is your opinion on his character and story, which is fine, but that isn't a fact or how everyone feels about his character.
Oh, I acknowledge that it's only my (and more than a few other's) opinions. I just think it was a mistake to ever implement a character like him into the main series anime in the first place.

Edit: Oh, and to be fair, I never actually said Goh himself was bad. I said he was badly written and horribly handled by the people behind Journeys. If Goh had been in the XY series or even the original series, I (and perhaps others,) would've probably minded him less. And to reiterate, I still think it was a mistake to ever have a character like him in the main series anime at all. His character defied pretty much everything the anime stood for when he first appeared. I respect the fact that he has his fans, but I will never be one of them, due in part no doubt to just the horrendous writing in Journeys across the board. (Again, my opinion.)

Last edited:
I don't think the show has the budget to show Eternatus actually battling whether is in 2D or CGI. But if that happens then I'd agree that it would be a lame excuse to elevate the stakes of the battle, and possibly a way to give either Lucario and Pikachu (whoever doesn't battle Charizard) a big win.

Didn't Hala or someone say that his victory over Professor Kukui counted as a final exam or something?
Nope, that's just a headcanon that excuses the bad writing.

They have five days to wait for more new episode titles to be announced or if not, it will be canceled in the anime forever for no more.
Dude, again with this? I’m not sure if you’re trolling or not especially considering you’re basically talking to yourself but that’s not how it works. The episodes are produced months ahead of time and we get the titles and summaries from magazine and TV guide publication. Please stop with this ridiculous doom posting notion that just because episode announcements have been slow that the show has been canceled.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but it wouldn't exactly be out of character for Ash to want do that either. He'd relish the challenge.
But he's spent this whole series wanting nothing more than to battle Dande properly. Now he's worked through the PWC, beaten Daigo and Shirona and the day before he's finally gonna accomplish his goal he's gonna turn around and say "Hey, can you use that giant over-powerful legendary against me?". Then what was even the point if he's going to put himself at this insanely huge disadvantage? I mean, I know Satoshi loves a challenge but this just seems like overkill.

It amazes me how so many people are onside for this yet there was an uproar when Kapu-Kokeko knocked the Poke Ball out of Kukui's hand... that final battle between it and Pikachu had been built up, and people hated the idea.

It amazes me how so many people are onside for this yet there was an uproar when Kapu-Kokeko knocked the Poke Ball out of Kukui's hand... that final battle between it and Pikachu had been built up, and people hated the idea.
I'm not sure it's that people want this to happen but that it might be possible, and Tapu Koko sets a precedent for a champion (or equivalent) adding a Legendary to their party just for Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom