• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN127: Go and Aceburn! The Place of Beginnings!!

I wonder if they're going to keep the "Cramorant accidentally eating Arrokuda" scene in the dub.

I seem to remember when that Galarian Slowking appeared a few months back that Goh got possessed by the Shelder crown creature and started rambling about curry/ramen being something out of a god's pantry. Did they keep that line?

This is the kind of filler, if you count this as that, I’ve been waiting for. Actually engaging.
No coincidence that TR was involved at the same time a filler was actually enjoyable, because there was something to bounce off of, giving a conflict for characters to appear and develop; Grookey finally doing something, Inteleon having more time to shine, and although minimal, some random Galar Pokemon. Imagine if this was produced consistently instead of some of the episodes we’ve gotten (Shiny episode, Plusle & Minun episode, Diglett episode, Flower episode, etc.). Perhaps they couldn’t because of resources being sparse, and therefore couldn’t animate several fights for fillers, who knows. Seeing how there’s a recap next week, then a break before the Leon battle, that may just be, but this just makes me think what could have been.
In a way this episode felt like an apology for Galar, with how many region-based Pokemon they shoved into the plot. Yeah, nowhere near enough to make up for it, but it does make me think. I mean, the battle was a bit clustered and several Pokemon didn’t get to do anything of notice, especially the Galar ones, but if they did put good timing into it, I think the Leon fight would have been delayed by another two weeks.

Not only that, parts of it was funny - Cramorant swallowing Arrokuda, TR using the Gatcha several times thanks to having multiple Meowth coins, TR being concerned about battling Ash, only because they didn’t want to exhaust his Pokemon before his decisive battle. It had fun with the set-up.

I highly doubt this is the last of Goh, and Eternatus for that matter. I would be amazed if they just put those two plot-lines in for no reason, and didn’t make them have relevance somewhere down the line. Leon obtaining Eternatus was pretty much how you’d except it to go down, so there’s not much to comment on. A decent episode.

Did they just unceremoniously sent Goh away. Is he going to catch Mew offscreen?

Very convenient of Goh to run away after potentially sabotaging Ash by giving Eternatus to Leon /s

I wonder if they're going to keep the "Cramorant accidentally eating Arrokuda" scene in the dub.

I seem to remember when that Galarian Slowking appeared a few months back that Goh got possessed by the Shelder crown creature and started rambling about curry/ramen being something out of a god's pantry. Did they keep that line?
They better. Why would it be considered inappropriate? :(
That was my favorite and funniest scene. Also 3/7 of my mains for Shield appeared here (Theivul, Perrserker, and Cramorant)

As in many episodes, the problem is timing. Why couldn't they put this episode before.. as episode 90 or so... or even push it after the final as a goodbye episode for Galar / Goh / Leon... (and then 1 more episode to focus on Ash..)

Now with Eternatus, I'm starting to believe Ash brings Gninja ... cause there is no way Ash can even compete without upgrade, and it will be believable Ash can use him to bring down Zard or Eternatus..

As in many episodes, the problem is timing. Why couldn't they put this episode before.. as episode 90 or so... or even push it after the final as a goodbye episode for Galar / Goh / Leon... (and then 1 more episode to focus on Ash..)

Now with Eternatus, I'm starting to believe Ash brings Gninja ... cause there is no way Ash can even compete without upgrade, and it will be believable Ash can use him to bring down Zard or Eternatus..
Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape go away and cry in a corner somewhere lol

What is it with some people and Gekkouga? Several times over the past few weeks I've seen people convinced he's going to bring it back based on the slightest evidence; "omg dracovish isnt on this toy packet GRENINJA RETURN CONFIRMED!"

What amazes me is that people are desperate for that bloody frog to come back yet there's never any call for Goukazaru or Gaogaen to return despite the two arguably just reaching the peak of their power when they got boxed.

I've seen several people complain about Infernape not coming back for the Cynthia battle.

Also, forgot about this.

Man, I sure Hop is just offscreen and isn't just not in that scene for no reason. It'd be nice if he got to interact with his brother for once and justified his reason for being in this show.

Like, seriously? This should be the bare minimum of character interactions and we couldn't even get that.

I'm starting to fear they won't talk until after the battle is over, if ever.

Also, speaking of Hop, what's he going to do with Goh gone? He only exists to provide color commentary with Goh, and without someone to bounce off of, he has little reason to be here.

What amazes me is that people are desperate for that bloody frog to come back yet there's never any call for Goukazaru or Gaogaen to return despite the two arguably just reaching the peak of their power when they got boxed.
I think it's basically summed up by this post.

This also isn't new; Charizard was the one people constantly asked to come back before XY.

Screenshot_20221001-033137.png

That's...literally giving up ownership, yes, by giving it to Magnolia
It was the equivalent of Ash storing his Pokémon at Oak's lab, just without it being let out. Or, to use a real life comparison, it's like money being stored at a bank account. It's not with you, but it's still unquestionably yours.

It was the equivalent of Ash storing his Pokémon at Oak's lab, just without it being let out. Or, to use a real life comparison, it's like money being stored at a bank account. It's not with you, but it's still unquestionably yours.
Then by all means, show me scenes of Eternatus hanging out at Sakuragi Park, or Go spending any time with it after capturing it to give to Magnolia

Ngl kinda I feel disappointed by this one. I did enjoy how it showed what happened after Cinderace left the Nikit, now they're heroes of the town who protect it from mischievous pokemon who steal people's stuff. It's a nice progression after what happened in JN004. The Cinderace and Nikit reunion and the flashbacks to previous episodes and where Goh found the pokemon he caught were also great.

That being said...I have my issues. For starters, this kinda felt like a rushed goodbye for Goh, if this was going to be his last episode then it should have been about him reflecting on his progress so far and how far Cinderace and Intleloen have come. But this episode just kinda does nothing but show how little development Goh's pokemon have gotten, and because of that it doesen't really feel like a great goodbye to Goh's character. The battle wasn't really great, it felt a little too cluttered for me. The episode also felt a little bit slow and boring in a couple of parts, and Goh's departure kinda felt fairly too abrupt and sudden. So it doesen't really feel emotional like the other goodbyes to Ash's companions.

And that's really the fatal flaw of this episode; it's not a great endpoint for Goh, the departure doesen't really carry much of any weight like the past ones because not only is it far too sudden, but the episode didn't really feel like it was meant to be the finale of Goh's character like I said it should have been about Goh reflecting on all of his progress for his goal and how he's come since he started out. They do a bit of that, but not enough. Their "goodbye" isn't even much of a goodbye, Goh just says "Hey I have project Mew stuff so I can't watch ur battle" and Ash is like "K" like really? So overall this was a pretty underwhelming departure for Goh, It just could have been a lot better.

Score:
5/10, really just want to get to Ash vs Leon already.

EDIT: I do realize that the episode technically isn't a departure; Goh just says he has project mew stuff so he can't watch Ash's battle, so he could possibly return. However, but my points still stand that this episode doesen't really feel like much of a send-off to Goh, you'd think Goh leaving Ash for project Mew would be an impactful moment but...it kind of isn't. It happens too suddenly and it doesen't carry the same weight as Ash's other companions leaving. Maybe if he appears again in the very last episode I'll probably change my mind lol.

EDIT 2: Welp, JN131's title got revealed and looks like it's Ash vs Leon Part 3, so I don't really think Goh will return here. Looks like this episode is the finale for Goh and honestly, that was kinda underwhelming.

EDIT 3: Uhhh so more episodes got revealed including a potential epilogue episode, so Goh could return. That doesen't detract from my point that the episode should have been about Goh reflecting on his progress with project Mew and other stuff, but I should probably point that out.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom