• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN129: The Finals I: "Torrent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's the what Plot Armor means.

Plot Armor - A plot device wherein a fictional character or other entity repeatedly and inexplicitly avoids harm or misfortune, due to their importance to the work's continued plot; the property of being prone to deus ex machinas.

Wait! So you mean Cynthia using Mega Evolution against Iris in order to avoid being defeated actually was Plot Armor (Mega Evolution is a plot device).

Ash continuing to win isn't plot armor because JN is consistently portraying his party as very powerful and winning against very strong trainers.
Fine, let's not call it "Plot Armor" (some seem to be literally allergic to it for no reason)
Let's call Ash constanly winning...uhm... how about bullshit? A 10-year-old guy and his inexperienced team achieving more within merely 125 episodes than veteran champions with their veteran teams could achieve in many years of hard training? If that's not unrealistic and nonsense (to put it mildly), then I don't know anymore...
Anyways, no matter if somebody likes the term "Plot Armor" or not, to me there is a striking resemblance to Ash in the following definition:
Plot Armor - A plot device wherein a fictional character or other entity repeatedly and inexplicitly avoids harm or misfortune, due to their importance to the work's continued plot; the property of being prone to deus ex machinas.
"avoids misfortune"..."importance to the work's plot"..."deus ex machina". Does that ring a bell? But no, Ash's wins are not Plot Armor, no no...Of course his achievements within just 125 episodes are totally plausible and explainable and have absolutely nothing to do with the writers not wanting to allow their protagonist to lose at this stage. (Attention, irony!) :sneaky:
(By the way, I'm not writing this because I hate Ash. I'm trying to say Ash should have been handled like Iris, because the way she and her progress was displayed was a reasonable, realistic one that made perfect sense as opposed to the completely forced and exaggerated way Ash (and Leon) are being handled.)

So posting your thoughts about a ep is trolling now?
You're right! But well, some opinions seem to be less popular than others. At least as far as I am concerned I can live with that :LOL:

Wait! So you mean Cynthia using Mega Evolution against Iris in order to avoid being defeated actually was Plot Armor (Mega Evolution is a plot device).
Wait! Cynthia made it pretty clear she wanted to reward Iris' achievements by giving her the priviledge to battle her Mega-Garchomp. Cynthia was far from being defeated and her victory didn't depend on Mega-Garchomp at all. Can't see Plot Armor or plot devices here. And at least Cynthia deserves her victories and doesn't seem to rely on the writers' help like a certain boy from Pallet Town. (Yes, I know that question is highly controversial...)

Last edited:
The entire Pokemon anime is 10 year old Ash beating trainers with decades of more experience over him. You sound to me like you're 25 years late if you think a franchise about 10 year olds beating adults now is bad. You seem like you were perfectly fine with Ash beating adults till he beat Cynthia, which given your username, is telling.

The entire Pokemon anime is 10 year old Ash beating trainers with decades of more experience over him. You sound to me like you're 25 years late if you think a franchise about 10 year olds beating adults now is bad. You seem like you were perfectly fine with Ash beating adults till he beat Cynthia, which given your username, is telling.
It's not necessarily just Cynthia; I've seen a number of people who were against the idea of Ash beating any of the champions (I actually thought he should have done so in DP, though) and wanted him to get completely annihilated in the first round of the tournament. I can't recall if they were one of them though.

From me, or from Vengeful Ghost? Because yeah, now that you mention it, if it was from Vengeful Ghost, then yes, I guess that was sarcasm, wasn't it? Sometimes when you're writing online it's hard to tell.
I was being sarcastic. I swam in fandom swamp enough to see people make their weirdest takes about anything with some going so far as the fundamentally disagree with the premise with the franchise.

I think the dumbest statement I saw on Reddit went something like "Kylo didn't lose because he's weak. Kylo lost because the writers wanted Rey to win. This battle is bad because it isn't dictated by logic. It's dictated by what JJ wants."

A character winning because the writers want the character to win ... that's literally 100% of all fiction.

Sounds very promising

FeZaAXDVQAAnPoG.jpg

Staff list, provided by Dephender.

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 清水聡 (Satoshi Shimizu)
Episode Director 小柴純弥 (Junya Koshiba)
Animation Director 広岡歳仁 (Toshihito Hirooka)
Animation Director 倉員千晶 (Chiaki Kurakazu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom