• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN131: The Finals III: "The Strongest"

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Kenyu Horiuchi: Professor Okido
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Etsuko Kozakura: Pochama
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Kei Shindo: Eievui
Megumi Toyoguchi: Hikari
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Tomo Sakurai: Shirona
Fumiko Orikasa: Carne
Marina Inoue: Sonia
Takuto Yoshinaga: Hop
Shoko Tsuda: Magnolia
Yo Kitazawa: Danpei

Love seeing Clemont and Bonnie
It was great seeing them make a cameo, wish it was in person at the stadium though.

It was also great to see Ash's Alolan family watching from the school

Remember when I was something of a negative Nancy for the most part with this series?

Well, that side seems to have buzzed off somewhere because this battle just continues to get more and more exciting by the minute.

We have
Rillaboom's KO spree coming to an end thanks to Mr. Fish, cameos from Bonnie, Clemont and the Alola gang and of course the main final showdown with Pikachu and Charizard, partners to Ash and Leon.

I'm honestly excited to see how it all ends next week.

Rillaboom’s defeat only came off a little unconvincing because of the Diantha fight - if we completely forget about that, it’s fine.

This battle is really great, every matchup makes both Ash’s and Leon’s Pokémon look great regardless of whether they are about to win or lose.

The shots of people watching at home are great but now that we’ve see Clemont, Bonnie and the Alola gang show up - i’m convinced it only really seems to be characters who have appeared in Journeys that are going to be shown - no non-verbal cameo from May, Cilan, etc.

AND WHAT IS GOING ON AT OAK’S LAB? I understand some of Ash’s Pokémon not appearing in those shots during the Cynthia battle, because the shots were at different angles, and zoomed in - all the Pokémon was still there, it’s just they weren’t in frame. It’s suddenly during this battle - they just go, Sceptile went to stretch it’s legs, Swellow and Talonflame got bored and went for a race, Kingler got thirsty and went to get a beer out the fridge… They are not out of shot, they’re just not watching all the battle. This annoys me - it doesn’t matter that much - but it annoys me.

Last edited:
Rillaboom’s defeat only came off a little unconvincing because of the Diantha fight - if we completely forget about that, it’s fine.
I personally disagree. Rillaboom took a lot of punishment before going down, just like with Diantha.
Surprised Cinderace showed up in this episode. Especially when it did because of what that means for Charizard.
I'm wondering what that'll mean as well. I wonder if we'll indeed be seeing Gigantamax Cinderace next week.

Man, this is still as intense as ever with the highlight of course being the G-Max vs Z-Move showdown (don't you love it when letters of the alphabet fight it out). I was sad Kairyu didn't get another win but given that she took and was able to deliver plenty of punishment I'm not too fussed.

Aceburn is proving to be such a tough opponent. It's ability to change type has really thrown Satoshi off and at the moment it seems like that guy will be Dande's last man standing.

Last edited:
I hate that it's Pikachu vs. 2 because that means instead of Sirfetch'd getting victories, it means that Pikachu gets the most amount of victories AND the final win. :/

What the hell happened to Brock's cameo?

I hate that it's Pikachu vs. 2 because that means instead of Sirfetch'd getting victories, it means that Pikachu gets the most amount of victories AND the final win. :/
It still contributed to taking down Mr. Rime.
What the hell happened to Brock's cameo?
There's still one battle episode left. There's still time for more cameos.

Don't think Cinderace will be the last mon standing. It makes no sense to use special animation like we see in the preview for the second to last match up. I think Cinderace will be swapped back in and then once pikachu deals with it then we'll get the final showdown between pikachu and charizard

Just spotted this guy making a stealth debut in the crowd towards the end of the episode...

Screenshot_20221104_151630.jpg

Man, the whole Kajicchu line really got screwed over by Journeys, huh?

Just spotted this guy making a stealth debut in the crowd towards the end of the episode...

View attachment 164998

Man, the whole Kajicchu line really got screwed over by Journeys, huh?
Spotted that on the first watch, actually. Guess I was lucky.

Another great intense part especially with Dracovish being an absolute powerhouse to deal with the Gorilla. Very sad to see Dragonite end up in pile of disappointment again. Also as for Sirfetch'd manage to damage Rillaboom before Dracovish carry that will to defeat him. Until Aceburn easily defeat the Fish Man. At the end, the chaotic scene about to occurs with the combination of Mega Evolve, Z-Move and Dynamax energy all together would let the region unstable if it wasn't Eternatus appear to maintain the effect. Otherwise, a worse catastrophic about to occurs if it don't.

Overall rating: A+

At the end, the chaotic scene about to occurs with the combination of Mega Evolve, Z-Move and Dynamax energy all together would let the region unstable if it wasn't Eternatus appear to maintain the effect. Otherwise, a worse catastrophic about to occurs if it don't.
If it turned out that the gimmicks could cause a catastrophe like that then I'd imagine everyone would be told to smash their Mega Stones, Z-Crystals and Dynamax bands.

Jeez to Arceus, what is it with Ash making it to finals and the stadium being attacked?

I know it only happens every few years...but after three series in a row it's getting old... -_-
The energy combined from the mega evolution, gigantamax and z-move would have caused something catastrophic and Ethernatus sensed this and decided to step in to save the region/world and the match.

Okay not gonna lie… with how creative and strategic the battle was thus far, this episode was a real let down. All of Ash’s pokemon, sans Pikachu, have gone back to just banging their heads on a brick wall until either cracks. Seriously, Dragonite and Dracovish were getting tossed around like ragdolls and Ash couldn’t be assed to give them blocking commands? No Dragon Claw on the Drum Beating roots? No last second Fishious Rend to intercept that High Jump Kick?

Come on, we were going so well…

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom