• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN132: The Finals IV: "Partner"

so, i haven't read much of the posts (here or at serebii or reddit), so i'm not as aware of the general consensus on these ideas beyond that there's alot of positive sentiment about these episodes. i've watched parts i-iii twice (once w/o subs, once with), and then part iv closely once with subs.

i'm aware that, just in general, these ideas might be contrary to the general sentiment here and other places. it's fair to feel that if one wasn't overly positive about this battle, no reason to waste nearly 2 hrs. watching it. so when i get to critical points, i will try to say i'm here, and that maybe skip reading the rest of this post if that's not the sentiment you want to consider.

there some things i do want to express about this battle and journeys overall. some of this, i feel, is fair to say simply b/c dande, as a character, showed his strength by easily defeating so many of the other champions. this is satoshi's greatest ever challenge! is how whoever/whatever was in charge wanted this to be seen as, and so, even if your interest was more in the other champions, you would watch this battle and region till the end.

the animation, as so many have said, and it can be continued to be said, is really good. the supporting cast cheering shots, from hikari and chloe to shirona and carne are well done. there is no doubt you're supposed to cheer for satoshi. it's quite compelling; although i didn't find it so myself, i also objectively feel it's true to say it is.

so now for some critical points. this first one is not one really, but in the sense of how the pokemon company has advertized this battle it will be. i strongly disagree the takeaway from this episode was satoshi won!!!!!!!! this episode was about pikachu. pikachu's determination in this episode was what this episode was all about. satoshi himself really had nothing to do with what happened. pikachu's thunderbolt to the sky to show its fighting spirit reminded me of when pikachu sent up a thunderbolt as shinji was leaving in satoshi's first attempt against roark.; scenes like this/that, i really do enjoy. and of course, there was pikachu feeling the support of all satoshi's other pokemon before that volt tackle (i mean, thunderbolt).
this is likely pikachu's greatest battle, just from animation and focus. it's definitely greater than pikachu's tie with latios. i want to say this is also more than pikachu's victory vs tapu koko; but, though i've seen satoshi's battle with kukui, i haven't seen other alola episodes to really say that confidently- my alola experience is more from sun, which i've played many times.
this is saying something. of the three characters i think are the most important to the pokemon franchise, pikachu is 1 or 2 with satoshi, whichever order is preferred. to say that pikachu's greatest battle may have been written, that's an accomplishment.

but, it comes with real negatives to what journeys was supposed to be showing as a whole.
as more than an aside, but a truly deep criticism of this episode, cinderace's ko was bs. others have noted this, but like the animation, this also can continued to be said. i heard pikachu vs cinderace was a quick ko before watching this episode, was expecting it, and was still stunned by it. it is the literal definition of b.s.; it could be in the dictionary for the definition, and i would have no complaints. dande was as surprised as anyone, as if to say, "if i had known that would k.o, i would have done something different. writers, have you deserted me?" that completely changed the battle. and, there is no substance to it; pikachu has not practiced daimaxing much in journeys. so it's bad. it is a great illustration of an issue with journeys, that with little effort satoshi's team this region succeeded in ways his other teams have not. it's known dande trained before his match with satoshi; this is the only time intelion could have learned counter shield. satoshi, we know, verbally said he would not train before this battle. while dande could not have seen being given an extra daimax in this battle, he is the master of daimax; for him to choose cinderace over charizard (unless charizard couldn't again?), and then go with cinderace's kyodaimax fire move instead of the daimax ground move (i never used the daimax ground move..., but it raised sp. defense, right?), and to be completely overpowered like that..., i don't feel a simple dande is susprised too!!!! is a great justification of that scene. that's not lucario's aura sphere with satoshi giving aura (that satoshi actually has practiced) as was the case when satoshi surprised shrona; that's just normal pikachu kyodaimax electric move (that satoshi has not even practiced).
i tried to think if there was a worse k.o in journeys, and i did think of one i felt was as bad: the way go's cinderace defeated milotic in the 4 part sword and shield special arc.

it also comes at the expense of charizard, who never feels like the real last unbeatable pokemon it was shown to be, effortlessly winning against everything in journeys. pikachu's determination was so overwhelming, that i never really cared much about what charizard was supposed to represent. the k.o of cinderace, the way pikachu just shrugged off that battle and was more than ready to continue was too inspiring; i didn't feel charizard's "presence" at all. and so, for journeys overall, i really feel the way dande was shown to trounce the other champions was completely unnecessary; it would have been enough to show him as simply winning those battles respectfully. charizard's power as shown in journeys added nothing to this specific battle, in my opinion, or pikachu's victory. if it did, that k.o of cinderace, in that manner, would have been unnecessary to show pikachu's will to win here. other than being the finals (which is important,), i don't feel pikachu's victory is more than lucario's victory in the semis.

which brings up the gimmicks. obviously, it was decided there would be at least one gimmick per episode of these finals. i very much feel this is out of character for satoshi to accept the conditions that dande offered. here is the essence of journeys, that when watching journeys will determine if you view this battle as one of the best or lower, and whether you view journeys as "good" (a little hyperbole here).
but before that, just quickly. i don't think that mega lucario did anything that regular lucario could not have. pikachu using its z-move made writing sense; it allowed pikachu to survive charizard's kyodaimax fire move-with some liberties; obviously dande using the daimax dragon move and rock move for the other two moves made little sense but that can be overlooked. so, was it that important to show kyodaimax gengar, that the extra gimmicks rule for satoshi had to be granted? that changes the battle on all levels, and how this battle is viewed. i think it could have been avoided.

however, journeys (meaning, writers, whoever's in charge) decided that satoshi's growth in character in this arc would be his ability to use all the gimmicks. this is what he learned, this is how he "changed." from when he first battled dande, using everything, he could win now, whereas before he would not be able to.

i don't feel this is growth in satoshi's character, or even just a static representation of him as the alola champion. although i have not found journeys satoshi dislikeable, i have not found anything compelling about him here either. if satoshi winning this tournament is compelling, it's because of other regions establishing his character and showing his growth. since sinnoh, he was capable of winning a league (as is strongly hinted from what he does in his semis battle, and then seeing how the other finalist does). afterwards, he lost in unova to someone he clearly should have won against on paper, lost a 50-50 battle in kalos, and then won in alola to become champion.
journeys did not grow him in any way, or really did not show he is. to me. when satoshi learned a new gimmick, when he learned a new move, there was someone to help him. this was on purpose. in some ways, it was great. it's nice to see iris foreshadow kaiyru learning draco meteor, it's nice to see clemont help with meteor assault, it's nice to see greninja help lucario increase its bond with satoshi, it's nice to see the other pokemon helping gengar discover will-o-wisp, it's nice to see shinji battle satoshi and lucario learn bullet punch; b/c it's nice to see characters satoshi has befriended show up again. but it came at the cost of satoshi's character. satoshi himself had almost no worthwhile character moments in this region. i really can't think of any. i'm repeating this point, b/c it illustrates it perfectly: satoshi didn't practice before the final match with dande; dande did.

satoshi using his reserves could have avoided this point, but the ones overseeing journeys wanted this team to be the "ultimate" team.

so instead journeys argues that satoshi having all the gimmicks is his character growth. this is the result of his journeys. dande proposes that satoshi can do that if he wants in this match.

i have no issue with dande offering that.
i have issue with satoshi accepting.

for journey's to justify what satoshi's growth is, it tranced on something i felt is actually something admirable about his character.
the satoshi who refused to borrow hikari's pochama to make his battle with roark easier b/c of how shinji won against roark, the satoshi who refused to accept a gym badge from volkner w/o battling him....the satoshi who fought shinji with his sinnoh team, b/c he wanted to use that specific team against shinji (whether shinji used the same team or not; shinji flat out laughed at satoshi when he realized what satoshi was doing, on such a big occasion). all of these are examples from sinnoh, but i'm sure there are many more from other regions. this is satoshi, and is something that made him special.
that is plot armor in itself, that satoshi has won with these ideals. i really feel satoshi would have been fine losing to dande, if written correctly, than to win the way he did with all the gimmicks. as unbeatable as dande is, he is still only the galar champion, as satoshi is the alola champion; they are both champions, and it should have been possible to win w/o resorting to an unfair advantage.

now, was it really "unfair?" here's what i would say, and i think this is valid. we know the rules for the past pokemon vgc was that you can use two legendary pokemon. that doesn't mean you have to, and if you battled in any way (showdown, or whatever) or just watched unedited videos of people battling, you're aware that some people chose to use just one legendary pokemon, or none at all. does that mean in such battles you don't use your legendary pokemon? i myself tended to just use one. however, and i believe this is the general sentiment, it's your decision to not use any, you should not expect anyone not to bring their own legendary pokemon, or feel a win means more if you do win that way (although i've seen some youtube videos of, "look i beat a team of ubers with so and so".) sometimes, even when having two legendary pokemon, it's best to only bring one b/c of the matchup.

however, let's say on showdown someone said, "hey, if you want, you can use 3 legendary pokemon if you want. or you can use z moves, or mega evolution. primal groudon/kyroge if you want!" smogon, for this specific player, allowed you to change the rules b/c this player had that much influence. would you accept?

i would not. and i think from my experience, most players i've come across would not. the rules are what they are and were made that way for a reason. once they're established, that's what we play with.

not all players would think that way. some players would want to win, and say "suit yourself." and some players make a living from this. if they were offered that advantage, some of those would take it.
but i really do think, from my experience, that most would say, "no. we'll play with the official rules. as equals. what you want to do from there is up to you."

so, again, i think it was out of character for satoshi to accept these conditions. but journeys felt that satoshi's growth was being able to use all the gimmicks, and so they had him accept. how you view that is how you view satoshi winning this tournament, and journeys satoshi.

as a final aside, i didn't care for the depiction that all of these wins in the tournament were "upsets" as the show put it (at least the daigo and shirona victories were called that after satoshi defeated shirona). satoshi should have been advanced enough to theoretically win these matches under the right circumstances.

With the Volkner case, there’s the basis that Ash doesn’t care if he utilises more gimmicks than another trainer, just if he thinks it makes the fight better, and in this instance, he clearly thought it would. In his eyes, he won it fair and square.
Sure he won that battle against Volkner fair and square because everything they did was within the official rules right from the start and Ash didn't get any advantage or priviledges.
My point is that by declining Leon's offer Ash should have shown real greatness and that he doesn't want to take the easy way out OR both opponents should have been allowed to used three gimmicks. In that case it would have been fair again, because the same rules would have applied for both. But the way it was done will leave a bitter aftertaste and people will always be able to say "Ash could only win it because he got an unfair advantage/special rules that made it easier for him"

In relation to having to earn the Championship like the other Champions and Ash having a privilege, doesn’t that mean that in the other direction the other Champions had the privilege of the one-gimmick handicap preventing Ash from being stronger?
At least as far as Cynthia is concerned we know she had both a Key Stone and a Dynamax-Band. Z-moves seem to be an Alola / Ash-exclusive thing. So, yes Cynthia could have used both and definitely wasn't at Ash's mercy when it comes to gimmicks. The point is, the other champions didn't get the same advantage, which is kind of unfair per se (the bitter aftertaste I was talking about before), plus I bet you everything you want Cynthia would have declined Leon's offer because she's the type of honest person who wants to play by the rules and doesn't need any priviledges. Guess the other champions would have acted the same way.

Who’s to say this is right and fair?
That's exactly what rules are for. They just needed to stick to the rules and there wouldn't have been any of these problems

How is it fair to suggest that Cynthia and Ash should face this, where their travels and dedication to their journeys isn’t reflected in battle?
Not sure if I understood you correctly but this was another point of criticism during the Cynthia battle. There were hardly any reflections on their time together and their great adventures in Sinnoh which was kind of sad. Or what do you mean?

@Queen Cynthia You keep saying Ash had an unfair advantage in this battle. What about Iris vs Cynthia? Iris was the only Trainer in the tournament without a gimmick, while Cynthia did use one against her. That means that Cynthia had an advantage over her in terms of the amount of used gimmicks, doesn't it?

In all honesty, I really didn't feel much of an emotional rush while watching this episode or when Ash won. Probably because of a couple of things; first, I already knew Ash was going to win. I got spoiled that Ash won but aside from that Ash winning is the logical outcome, this is his biggest battle after all so it should end on a high note. Plus, if I'm being honest here, I really wasn't enjoying a large majority of the episodes before Ash vs Leon started. The first five battles of the M8 were pretty lackluster and boring, as they felt far too rushed and slow, Ash vs Cynthia was great but that ended with a finale that while still good kinda left a lot to be desired and ended up being the weakest out of the three-parter to me. There's also the clip shows and JN120 and JN127, but I already covered those in this post so I don't want to repeat myself. But needless to say, I used to have a lot of hype for Ash vs Leon, but after watching all of that nonsense all the hype I had for this battle kinda dropped to zero. Still, a very good battle that lives up to the hype but I wasn't as hyped for it as I wanted to be tbh.

Last edited:
People keep saying what about the Volkner and Cynthia vs. Iris battle, but in my eyes you mustn't compare those battles with Ash using three gimmicks today because there's actually a huge difference!

In those battles the rules clearly said one gimmick per match and that applied to both opponents, thus same rules for both. If Volkner and Iris didn't make use of a gimmick, then it's either their "fault" because they didn't get one or it was their deliberate decision not to use it (for whatever reason). But still, they could have used one if they wanted to, there was no rule that would have prevented them from doing so.

And this brings me to your question and also goes hand in hand with what @Reborn Talonflame said:
Yes, Ash should be allowed to go full power (btw so should have been Cynthia, but that's a different story. Just wanted to mention it again in case somebody forgot :p) The reason I called it an unfair advantage is because it was a rule for Ash exclusively. If only Ash is given priviledges his opponent is held down and limited in their possibilities by that one-gimmick-per-match rule, then I consider that as plain unfair. And it makes me question Ash's status as World Champion because I really doubt he would have won without that rule change. (No, no, I'm not trying to defend Leon of all people, I just demand the same rules for everybody)

So here's a compromise: Why do we need that one-gimmick-per-match rule in the first place? Simply let the competitors decide which and how many gimmicks they want to use! That way it would be their free decision and responsibility to get the gimmicks they need and everybody would be allowed to go full power. But they wouldn't be limited right from the start.. Make the same rules for everybody and I wouldn't have complained.
Honestly, the more I'm thinking about it, the more surprised I'm getting because it would be such an easy and obvious solution, so I wonder why the writers didn't come up with that on their own.

From what I gathered watching the subbed episode of 129, Leon suggested to scrap the only one gimmick per use and instead change it to each gimmick can be used once per battle. Applying to all battling trainers. So Leon too would have access to other gimmicks if he had them. Reason is, he's going all out, so he wants Ash to go all out.

Those who has or can access episode 129 can correct me for clarification if you got time.

Also, any thoughts that this may possibly be Atsuhiro Tomioka's final work? He finally is able to grant Ash a final victory after all these years.

In all honesty, I really didn't feel much of an emotional rush while watching this episode or when Ash won. Probably because of a couple of things; first, I already knew Ash was going to win. I got spoiled that Ash won but aside from that Ash winning is the logical outcome, this is his biggest battle after all so it should end on a high note. Plus, if I'm being honest here, I really wasn't enjoying a large majority of the episodes before Ash vs Leon started. The first five battles of the M8 were pretty lackluster and boring, as they felt far too rushed and slow, Ash vs Cynthia was great but that ended with a finale that while still good kinda left a lot to be desired and ended up being the weakest out of the three-parter to me. There's also the clip shows and JN120 and JN127, but I already covered those in this post so I don't want to repeat myself. But needless to say, I used to have a lot of hype for Ash vs Leon, but after watching all of that nonsense all the hype I had for this battle kinda dropped to zero. Still, a very good battle that lives up to the hype but I wasn't as hyped for it as I wanted to be tbh.
Honestly, this is a fair opinion to have. Getting to this episode was a real slog, I remember feeling miserable during these last few months with all of the clip shows and breaks we had to endure. I also feel like a lot of people didn’t even watch most of the Masters Eight, and only this episode, due to the press coverage it got. This episode is an amazing bookend to the anime as a whole, and works enough as a standalone episode that you actually don’t need to watch the rest of the Masters Eight to enjoy it. Not to mention, as someone who watched all of Journeys myself, it was pretty unsatisfying that Ash won all of his PWC battles expect for Bea and some random CotDs in JN036, just to reach Leon. So a lot of people weren’t aware of Ash’s PWC run even if they watched this episode, which means they don’t know how overpowered Ash already was prior to this match against Leon.

I still think this is easily one of the best episodes of the entire show though. I love this episode so much for wrapping up Ash’s story unbelievably well. But I also can definitely see why it was hard to be excited for this episode when the wait was so brutal. I had a hard time caring about most of the Masters Eight myself. However, if this specific episode could only exist because of the breaks and clip shows, then I’ll gladly take it. What’s done is done, I’m just glad there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think that comparion is not quite fitting.
In my eyes it does make a difference if according to the official rules you are allowed to use one gimmick but don't do it simply because you don't have one (which in Volkner's case was his "fault") or if the rules clearly state that you mustn't use more than one gimmick and Leon just screws the rules (probably that show-off think he's entitled to to so because he is "special"). Again, in the first case, everything was according to the rules while the second case was clearly against the rules. and felt like the easy way out.

Let's face it: If Ash hadn't have three gimmicks and two rounds of Giggantamax he would most likely have lost. You don't need to agree with me but if I want to call myself World Champion, I want to earn that title fair and square, just the same way as all the other champions would have to do and no easy way out. What's it worth if I got that title just due to "priviledges"?
Why should Ash be handicapped in the tournament for finding the strongest trainer in the world just because the other Champions didn’t seek out ways to power up their Pokémon?

Epic.

It was a huge step up for the final and it might be remembered afterall as of of the best battles (+1 the performance of Ash over the whole tournament).

There is just one thing, realy, to make this any less -
his rival just wanted to make a show and threw strategy to the trash. Leon was out of focus in a way he couldn't care less about winning was in his pocket. And why? Just in order to entertain and 'dance on the battelfield'. Just like in soccer the last striker near the goal would like his last kick to look amazing for the cameras... and might just miss. He is already a champion so it can't be as sweet as winning with style right?

But inbefore the writer took himself to the corner.. So that way it was more believable that Ash is the new champ (Leon's behaviour + 4 gimicks in hand - 2 on Pikachu that won against 2 great ones).

Bottom line: Cinderace could end this fight way before the Z move. It was the extra Gmax option for Leon that finished him as he wanted Cinderace to get big right away, instead of empowering again his partner or focus on winning.

I enjoyed this episode, it was emotional and dynamic, I like the outcome and it even made me happy. And even though the internet got to me before I saw the episode and I knew Ash ia winning, I couldn't help by wonder if they were wrong and Ash is 2nd cause Pikachu fainted. I thought to myself: 2nd place but it was a realy good battle, worthy ace too. Than we saw Ash's old pokemon and step by step it was power of friendahip vibes. They made it realy realy good.

Though ash souldn't call that attack by name, cause it is clear Pikachu is not using his normal Tunderbolt. It was 'Pika Volt Charge'ish with black /purple / blue lightning to spice the aura.

Overall I conclude I like Ash's team - Mostly Sirfetch'd made a place of honor as Lucario ans and now even Dracovish and Dragonite made their debut in the final counts. It is a thread by itself though.

Why should Ash be handicapped in the tournament for finding the strongest trainer in the world just because the other Champions didn’t seek out ways to power up their Pokémon?
You're getting me wrong I guess.
Of course Ash shouldn't be handicapped. The fact that Ash and Cynthia used gimmicks while for example Volkner and Iris didn't in their respective battles isn't the problem here at all.
If you ask me the real problem is that only Ash was given the priviledge (and unfair advantage im my eyes) of being allowed to use three gimmicks (and eventually won the battle most likely due to that rule exclusively made for him).

If right at the beginning of the Masters Eight Tournament the rules had said "no limitations as far as gimmicks are concerned" and if that rule had applied to all competitors, I would have been fine. In that case it would have been the personal responsibility of the competitors to gather as many gimmicks as they can and to use or not use them. A perfectly fine and fair rule!
But if all the other competitor are handicapped by the official rules while that one "special" person gets extra priviledges, then it's not fair. Frankly, if I were Ash, I wouldn't want to win that way...

From what I gathered watching the subbed episode of 129, Leon suggested to scrap the only one gimmick per use and instead change it to each gimmick can be used once per battle. Applying to all battling trainers. So Leon too would have access to other gimmicks if he had them. Reason is, he's going all out, so he wants Ash to go all out.
I re-watched that scene and posted the screenshots below
Ash02.PNG

Ash01.PNG
It looks to me that only Ash was allowed to use all three gimmicks. He said "Use all of them, Satoshi"

Anyways, I think that one-gimmick-per match rule was pretty unnecessary. The Masters Eight should have been allowed to go all out right from the start

Last edited:
Of course Ash shouldn't be handicapped. The fact that Ash and Cynthia used gimmicks while for example Volkner and Iris didn't in their respective battles isn't the problem here at all.
If you ask me the real problem is that only Ash was given the priviledge (and unfair advantage im my eyes) of being allowed to use three gimmicks (and eventually won the battle most likely due to that rule exclusively made for him).

If right at the beginning of the Masters Eight Tournament the rules had said "no limitations as far as gimmicks are concerned" and if that rule had applied to all competitors, I would have been fine. In that case it would have been the personal responsibility of the competitors to gather as many gimmicks as they can and to use or not use them. A perfectly fine and fair rule!
But if all the other competitor are handicapped by the official rules while that one "special" person gets extra priviledges, then it's not fair. Frankly, if I were Ash, I wouldn't want to win that way...

I re-watched that scene and posted the screenshots below
It looks to me that only Ash was allowed to use all three gimmicks. He said "Use all of them, Satoshi"

Anyways, I think that one-gimmick-per match rule was useless. The Masters Eight should have been allowed to go all out right from the start
This is the final battle of the entire thing. Makes sense that would happen.

To be fair, it was Leon personal responsability to not have another gimmick, since it was his idea that Ash uses the 3 gimmicks.

Ash only has this "extra privilege" for his battle against Leon, where.

PS: The "one gimmick" rule probably existed so that Ash couldn't use the three gimmicks in all his battles.

Last edited:
Episode was great, but at the end, when Pikachu and Charizard Clashed, Volt Tackle would be so much more impactful than whatever Thunderbolt tackle that was. Still a very good episode, battle animation was incredible, and loved all the cameos.

To be fair, it was Leon personal responsability to not have another gimmick, since it was his idea that Ash uses the 3 gimmicks.

Ash only has this "extra privilege" for his battle against Leon, where.

PS: The "one gimmick" rule probably existed so that Ash couldn't use the three gimmicks in all his battles.

Not sure why they thought that one Naruto OVA was worth taking inspiration from. Honestly they just needed to show more characters with extra gimmacks a la Cynthia to spare us this complaint.

This is pretty understandable. The last 4 months or so have been an absolute drag to get through thanks to the constant breaks and 4 goddamn clip shows. Plus, outside of this battle and Ash's battle with Champion Cynthia, most have been kinda lackluster.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom