• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN137: Winds of Beginning! The Endless Road!!

This was a good way to kick start the series with Ash helping out a Latias from Team Rocket who attempts to capture it.

While it's a plot that we've seen before, the character interactions are the highlight of this one with Ash and Pikachu's charming moments (yes, Magikarps biting his ass included) like the start of the episode which was super cute and we even get to see Buizel, Donphan, Noivern and Sceptile help out too.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kenyu Horiuchi: Professor Okido
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kenta Miyake: Onvern
Kei Shindo: Latias
Kiyotaka Furushima: Buoysel
Masami Toyoshima: Hanako

Well, Ash's team is in full rotation to the point I think he has the Pokémon Box with him.

And the preview shows him with a completely different team including Alola resident Rowlet, meaning that there's no way to know which team Ash will have on hand for the rest of the series.

Oh, and that Latias is definitely following him, suggesting that Ash will capture her some point in the future.

And it's apparently not the same Latias from M05. This one is more hostile towards humans, though one could argue it's the same Latias, just with amnesia from that bonk on the head.

Seeing Ash work with his old Pokémon is a treat - even if it’s largely going to be show up, use the move they’re most known for and not much else; at least they hung around all episode and reacted to things going on and interacted with Ash and Pikachu. The preview does seem like Corphish might be having a proper battle with Misty next week so fingers crossed

I don’t know what region Ash is in, but I’m glad we didn’t get the “show lots of Kanto Pokémon” trick that we normally get, much prefer seeing all sorts.

I’m also glad it seems as if Latias is going to come up again.

Just 10 episodes left with Ash and Pikachu - it’s all very bittersweet

It was nice to see Noivern, Donphan, Sceptile and Buizel in action again. Hopefully we will see them again (perhaps at the end in one big final shot of the whole group), but it seems this was their final active part. And it wasn't bad. Maybe a little short, but a goodbye can always use some extra time.

Wobbufett also being used in battle again was great. Jessie should use it more.

The Latias storyline was good. She has taken an interest in Ash, will she follow him and become a reoccurring wild pokémon? Time will tell. And for team catching Latias, if she reappears it is still possible. The future will make it clear.

Not a bad start. A start I didn't wanna see happening because it is the beginning of the end. :( Hopefully it will stay good or become even better.

Well, that was a random filler. There is a lot of focus on random Pokémon and Genwunner nostalgia but that is to be expected at this point.

Idk how to feel about Pikachu in this series. It's like they wanted it to be more naughty like in OS but is it logical for Pikachu to remain the same after such a long journey? But then again it had more personality in OS so maybe that is also a good thing.

You're probably supposed to just not think about it but the first thing on my mind was about these non Kanto pokemon just hanging out in what I assume is kanto.
I mean hey means it wont be 90% gen 1 atleast like it would otherwise.

You know, I'm not really a huge fan of how fillerish this episode was. I hope the following 10 episodes have a bit more interesting content.

Additionally, Pikachu is being slightly OoC (at least compared to how it used to be in more recent generations). Also, did anybody really think Ash was going to catch a legendary literally just 10 episodes before he hands the MC reins to Riko and Roy? The time to do that would have been before the M8 fights, WAY before that.

A pretty run-of-the-mill episode. It's funny, when Ash left Oak's lab, he outright says he won't see his reserves for a while. Well, that was a lie. Still a wonder why they chose not to do this rotating team thing in Journeys.

I didn't truly expect a catch, so the AMV opening was probably my biggest disappointment.

Am I missing something? Pikachu seems same as ever to me.
Also yeah the opening is weird, but maybe they didn't have time to animate it. Would rather have an AMV opening than potentially a shorter series if they don't want to push back the new one.

Yeah, Ash and Pikachu were just having some playful banter, not sure what's OoC about that. In fact, Ash was the one who started it by trolling Pikachu with his indecisiveness, so Pikachu's reaction here was understandable.
I actually realized they were messing with each other when they entered the forest and grinned at each other, but it was hard to tell what was happening with those poor-quality automatic subtitles on YouTube, I honestly thought Ash was being a goofball. He doesn't usually troll other characters so I guess he was the one being OoC! :LOL:

Last edited:
Honestly, if this is the same Latias as the one in the fifth movie, Ash capturing it would feel a little weird, since that would basically mean he'd be keeping the girl he got his first kiss from in a Poké Ball.
Don't worry, Melody from the second film got there years earlier.
...and, uh, so did Team Rocket...

Gotta say I really liked this episode. It really shines like something right out of the pre-Journeys anime with things like having Pikachu feel like his own character again, Ash’s Pokémon getting to have an active role in the episode and solving the problems, the actual feel of it being an adventure rather than just a trip and even TRio up to their antics without the the gacha machine. It really feels like the anime being back to form after so long and makes it such a shame that it’s the end of it.

Also, with Latias seeming to have taken an interest in Ash, I get the feeling he’s gonna capture her by the end of this all.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom