• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN138: Satoshi VS Kasumi! Seaside One-on-One!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact he hasn't used them in so long is why I think it's an issue; Rowlet's done alright for himself, but Totodile and Corphish both got pushed aside for the Kanto team in what should have been their team's climax battle (Gary and Brandon). Totodile's last battle was even a defeat.
I would put Corphish right up there with Rowlet given all the battling it was able to do during the Hoenn League & Saga; it completely flipped the experiences Squirtle and Totodile had in their respective sagas as the Water-type party member. Personally, I also wouldn't count Brandon as the final opponent for it when the Battle Frontier was a padding vehicle to allow for more time until DP premiered/released (as the Hoenn arc had finished) and doubled as advertising for FireRed & LeafGreen (hence the focus on the Kanto Starters in that final fight & touring through Kanto again). Totodile is unfortunate, but realistically speaking not every single one of Ash's Pokémon will end the series on a high note or some amazing victory. I would love for Snivy to be redeemed following her Badass Decay halfway into BW or Goodra especially given the horrible Worf Effect it suffered after Clemont's battle, but I know that isn't likely going to happen. Too many of Ash's Pokémon require that and there simply isn't enough time/episodes.
The other thing is that Misty is in the next episode as well (and possibly more future episodes), while it seems unlikely to me that the Pokémon will be; this is probably the last time they'll get a chance to do anything on screen except maybe a TR blastoff, quite possibly ever. It would be a shame for them to come back after years for probably their last major appearance just to be defeated.
And we don't know what capacity they will animate her in. Will she be able to battle again? Will it just be a Team Rocket skirmish? Or will she just be a background character, reduced to comments and the occasional Brock ear gag? Misty, too, is unlike to come back in the future (along with Ash's other friends; especially if Riko's series is a time skip), so the same argument and concern can be applied regarding how the writers use these final episodes to give one of the most beloved Pokémon anime characters a proper sendoff. I guess it comes down to who you value more: Ash's friends or Ash's reserve Pokémon. And I just think it would be good representation to see a female character and friend of Ash's be successful in a proper battle on-screen (which is something we haven't gotten in years; the most recent friend, Iris, had both her on-screen battles end up in losses).
I see your point but I don't think it's quite the same; the Pokémon anime has put a massive gulf between normal trainers and the ones on Elite Four tier, and it'd feel very cheap to me if that changed as soon as Ash finally got to that level after twenty five years of on-screen struggles.
I wouldn't say it's massive given how arguable that strength can be when the situation/writing calls for it. A good example is Dracovish and Sirfetch'd, who hardly battled and pale in experience in comparison to Ash's other Pokémon, yet were questionably written to ultimately be superior to Drasna's team. Also, Ash's Elite Four tier strength doesn't extend to every single one of his Pokémon, though. I can see the concern if it's Pikachu losing to Politoed, especially after what we just saw, but it isn't nor is it any of Ash's other Pokémon supposedly on that level.

I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this, but I'm basing my preference off my belief that Misty is going to get quality screentime even if she loses the battle, while the odds of the Pokémon getting brushed over seems much higher based off precedence of how Pokémon tend to get treated once their series is up.

I'm fine with Misty losing the battle if she manages to put up a good fight. At the same time, I think it'd be a bit boring if Ash being a world champion means he's narratively guaranteed to win all the fights in this series, so I think some losses here and there are perfectly fine, especially if the battles are in a casual setting like the one here. After all, just like what @Alola said, the reasoning I mentioned in favor of Misty losing works for Ash's mons as well; if they put up a good fight, I won't be too fussed about the outcome.

I think they wont get to finish their match and none will get the pokemon.
Not sure if Ash will get any new pokemon in this Mini S, tbh. After the last ep, maybe just a legendary partner (Latias / any other, by pokeball / just walking by his side, temp or not)

Not sure if Ash will get any new pokemon in this Mini S, tbh. After the last ep, maybe just a legendary partner (Latias / any other, by pokeball / just walking by his side, temp or not)
I'm still betting that Ash will catch that Latias, based on their bonding and her being shown to be apparently following him as the episode ends.

Was there a cast list posted for this episode? Totally could have missed it but I don’t remember seeing one!

Was there a cast list posted for this episode? Totally could have missed it but I don’t remember seeing one!
Adamant said:
When Satoshi attempts to get an Udeppou he's stopped by his former travelmate Kasumi! They decide to settle the matter with fishing, however...

Summary:
As Satoshi and Pikachu continue their journey they reach the sea, where they encounter a wild Udeppou on the beach that Satoshi attempts to get. However, he's stopped by his former travelmate Kasumi! Both of them insist on getting the Udeppou themselves, so they decide to settle the matter with fishing, however...?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mayumi Iizuka: Kasumi
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Kenyu Horiuchi: Professor Okido
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 中田誠 (Makoto Nakata)
Episode Director 中田誠 (Makoto Nakata)
Animation Director 伊藤京子 (Kyoko Ito)
Animation Director 大西雅也 (Masaya Onishi)
It's still incomplete though, according to Adamant.

Last edited:
I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this, but I'm basing my preference off my belief that Misty is going to get quality screentime even if she loses the battle, while the odds of the Pokémon getting brushed over seems much higher based off precedence of how Pokémon tend to get treated once their series is up.

I am bond to agree with you regarding the battle, people seem to be taking it very seriously, more so than Ash and Misty themselves.

From the preview, it appears to me be a very friendly battle. Actually, it looks to me like a warm reminder of the intense, but not infrequently provocative and conflicting, relationship of both. What I mean is that this battle is, above all, yet another way for them to connect, to experience one another after not seeing each other for so long.

On the other hand, I hope that the fight is short and only between these two aquatic Pokémon, and that we have enough quality screentime and interaction between both characters and their pokemons. Although for them, I think, such an uncompromising and fun dispute also means quality time.

Anyway, I'm betting that Corphish will, finally, evolve. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom