• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN138: Satoshi VS Kasumi! Seaside One-on-One!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't bring reserves back after over a decade just to lose.

I don't know...after the crapload of wins Ash just got in PM2019, it could be refreshing to seem him lose... :unsure:

Please don't bring reserves back after over a decade just to lose.
For me, it depends what reserves he uses. If it's Totodile or something like that , I don't really care that much. As long as Pikachu or any of his big guns don't go down. My problem in the past was that it was usually Pikachu who got humbled after a big win

It would be a huge disservice to Misty if she couldn't beat any of them.

Anybody think Psyduck can do confusion in it's own without having a headache after all these year's

He's about to retire, though. Why can't he be allowed to leave on a strong note instead of doing what every non Sun/Moon series did and immediately undercut his victory?
There's 9 more eps after this. He's allowed to lose a casual battle or two, especially if it's not one of his Champion 'mons doing the losing.

There's 9 more eps after this. He's allowed to lose a casual battle or two, especially if it's not one of his Champion 'mons doing the losing.
The second half is a good chunk of the point; his earlier teams are already mostly stuck with the stigma of being the ones who failed; do we need to compound it by having them lose the first time they come back after the JN team got to beat trainers like Cynthia? It's doesn't seem like there's time to set up and have any really major battles before the end.

I feel like they won't give Ash a new Pokemon at this point, so no matter the outcome of the battle, Clauncher is probably going to Misty, anyway.

Ash's Pokémon naturally gravitating towards Misty and Ash being annoyed by it is back and I couldn't be happier!
I saw that part in episode 3. Ash got so annoyed, he got his lips to actually make the proper mouth shapes for the word Pikachu! (Good thing they kept his name the same in English) :p

The second half is a good chunk of the point; his earlier teams are already mostly stuck with the stigma of being the ones who failed; do we need to compound it by having them lose the first time they come back after the JN team got to beat trainers like Cynthia? It's doesn't seem like there's time to set up and have any really major battles before the end.
I get your concern, but as a Misty fan I would be equally concerned and upset for her to get another battle with Ash that results in her loss again. I think she's only cleanly beaten him once, during the Whirl Islands? And unlike Politoed, who has been with Misty during her tenure as a Gym Leader for the past several sagas (and it stands to reason she's been training it given the progress she made with Psyduck of all Pokémon by Sun & Moon), Ash hasn't battled with Corphish for how many regions now?

I think Eitarou makes a fine point that Ash can be afforded a loss in a casual, low-stakes battle with a friend (over a Pokémon he is unlikely to catch, but that's just me). Especially with Pokémon he's barely used/trained in recent times.

And on a minor yet related note, I've been getting into Pokémon VGC (competitive battling) and just watched the San Diego Regionals for Series 1 Season 1. Of the numerous participants, there were a couple World Champions from previous years present. And they didn't win the regional. That didn't take away from their prestige at all though, nor did it diminish any commentary the commentators had for them during their battles (and when referenced by other players). And mind you, said players weren't World Champions each year, meaning they lost at points throughout their many journeys. I say all of this to say, that Ash can be viewed in a similar manner - just because he's the current World Champion doesn't mean he's infallible. In my opinion, anyway. Should Misty beat him here, that won't make me think any less of him or automatically assume Misty is the superior Trainer.

I think Eitarou makes a fine point that Ash can be afforded a loss in a casual, low-stakes battle with a friend (over a Pokémon he is unlikely to catch, but that's just me). Especially with Pokémon he's barely used/trained in recent times.
The fact he hasn't used them in so long is why I think it's an issue; Rowlet's done alright for himself, but Totodile and Corphish both got pushed aside for the Kanto team in what should have been their team's climax battle (Gary and Brandon). Totodile's last battle was even a defeat.
The other thing is that Misty is in the next episode as well (and possibly more future episodes), while it seems unlikely to me that the Pokémon will be; this is probably the last time they'll get a chance to do anything on screen except maybe a TR blastoff, quite possibly ever. It would be a shame for them to come back after years for probably their last major appearance just to be defeated.

And on a minor yet related note, I've been getting into Pokémon VGC (competitive battling) and just watched the San Diego Regionals for Series 1 Season 1. Of the numerous participants, there were a couple World Champions from previous years present. And they didn't win the regional. That didn't take away from their prestige at all though, nor did it diminish any commentary the commentators had for them during their battles (and when referenced by other players). And mind you, said players weren't World Champions each year, meaning they lost at points throughout their many journeys. I say all of this to say, that Ash can be viewed in a similar manner - just because he's the current World Champion doesn't mean he's infallible. In my opinion, anyway. Should Misty beat him here, that won't make me think any less of him or automatically assume Misty is the superior Trainer.
I see your point but I don't think it's quite the same; the Pokémon anime has put a massive gulf between normal trainers and the ones on Elite Four tier, and it'd feel very cheap to me if that changed as soon as Ash finally got to that level after twenty five years of on-screen struggles.

Thank you for making Ash changing teams just because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom