• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN140: Tunbear's Sigh!

I will get people's complaints about the "trivial" feel of these episodes given what the build up was, that said, I am a fan of seeing the reserves like this (do wish some got to do more, but an episode is only 21 minutes) and Oshawott was MVP today, fun episode.

It was a pretty good episode. It started to feel kinda sluggish near the middle when we saw Beartic messing up and Talonflame/Incineroar protecting Ash and co. like three or four times in a row, but thankfully it picked back up soon enough. This is a pretty nice insight into Ash that's been done a lot of times before but I personally don't get tired of it. And it's hard to pinpoint why, but I wasn't feeling it very much during Journeys even though there were some training scenes here and there.

I'm surprised Team Rocket wasn't here considering the simpler storyline. Since they were present in the previous episode (which didn't really need them, per se), I was starting to think they'd show up in all of these. Who I am sure is gonna keep showing up is Latias, but her scenes are exactly the same everytime and I don't think we need a weekly reminder that she's following Ash by now. Perhaps every other episode or so would've been a better approach.

The animation was suprisingly beautiful, and I'm not talking only about the movement but also the coloring, framing, effects, etc. There's this close-up of Ash's eyes that had some lens blur going on, they didn't need to do that but they did. Even the background design was notable, with things like the beginning of the episode being at a less snowy location or the vivid waterfall at the end. I think this may actually be one of the best-looking episodes in Journeys.

1675481337511.png
1675481711687.png

1675481803229.png
1675481917515.png

I'm once again judging the episode in a vaccum though, and I get some people might be annoyed that we're getting this instead of a genuine all-stars final arc. I think the writers may've realized that wasn't feasible for one reason or another so they settled for a more character-oriented, classic adventure style instead. I do wish we'd gotten a bigger thing, but I really missed those pre-Journeys days when the show was actually about... well, journeying (tempted to say "pre-SM days", but I did enjoy the slice-of-life too) and I'm glad we're getting some of the best out of that style now.

Last edited:
It feels like Im the only one who liked this ep.. good vibes in general, better than ep 3 in my opinion.
Got 2 problems
1. Snorlax and others could stand a lil more (screentime).
2. So I could imagine back then beeing a Pokemon Master is something close to Bruno's solving the problem over powered Onix had (excluding catching it, that was just like Red G catch of Lance). But tbh it now feels even closer to what Brock did already in the Kanto/Jhoto episodes years ago. = Isn't Brock a Pokemon Master?

I feel the show is aiming towards "Pokemon master is someone who helps those in need /understand Pokemon" something like that
If it's aiming towards telling us that's what a Pokemon master is, then Ash has already been a Pokemon master for a very long time, since he's been able to help those in need/understand Pokemon pretty much throughout the entirety of the anime.

Why bring Kasumi and Takeshi back as travelling companions if they're going to do sweet fa in an episode like this in which nothing bloody happened. Really weak episode IMO which felt like a classic boring Johto filler. Perfect opportunity in fact for the TRio to make things a little more fun, but nope.

So far only episode 2 has genuinely hit all the right notes for me. Feel sad that the show seems to be limping to the finish line.

Why bring Kasumi and Takeshi back as travelling companions if they're going to do sweet fa in an episode like this in which nothing bloody happened. Really weak episode IMO which felt like a classic boring Johto filler. Perfect opportunity in fact for the TRio to make things a little more fun, but nope.

So far only episode 2 has genuinely hit all the right notes for me. Feel sad that the show seems to be limping to the finish line.
Yeah........I have to admit, this wasn't the most exciting episode for me. Best thing about it in my opinion was (finally!!) getting to see Incineroar using moves, and finding out it learned Darkest Lariat, just like I hoped it would. :giggle: I still have hope for the Squirtle and Lapras reunion episodes though, and the last four after that. We'll just have to see how they go. :)

Waiter, there's been a mix-up.

I have a Jotho filler about random nonsense in my Ash farewell episodes!

...wait, it's SUPPOSED to be like this?! :oops:

Because it was an Ash-centric episode. They could have easily have Brock and Misty help out with the training, but Tomioka wanted to focus specifically on Ash and his bond with Beartic.

Honestly, I really loved this episode, as I felt it was really cute and wholesome all around. This was also I think the first time I was fantasizing about the idea of Ash catching the Pokemon of the day, which in this case was Beartic. I felt really bad for it and loved how earnest it was throughout the episode. The hints of its relationship with the other pokemon in the forest was also heartwarming as well: it was lonely, but didn't get close to anyone for fear of hurting them(hence why he seems wary of Ash and the others when they first meet it). The episode had very simple storytelling throughout and I really didn't mind at all.

I loved all the interactions of the Pokemon this episode and I also loved how the dynamic between Ash, Brock, and Misty feels a lot more...polished, I would say, in this series. They feel like a genuine example of "old friends" and every time they have an interaction it feels extremely natural and comfortable. I do wish Brock and Misty could have been a bit more active in this episode, but I didn't mind Ash's abilities as a trainer being highlighted here either. I liked how he spoke with Beartic especially, with a gentle tone almost treating Beartic like a child, but he also showed a lot of restraint with his excitement; which showed a maturity to him I don't think the writers usually capture very well.

The only thing that I felt bothered me was on the side of Ash's team, where I felt that Talonflame and Incineroar didn't really do much interacting or showing off their personalities and that moment that made me go "huh..." when Ash told Pikachu and Oshawott to leave him to get help...and they didn't really question it. I don't think this is too big a deal, though, and is probably more so a consequence of the writers choosing to focus on Ash's moments with Beartic.

All in all, I thought this was a really nice and enjoyable episode throughout! I'm seriously loving this short series so far and I'm honestly really excited for the next one. :3

Honestly, I really loved this episode, as I felt it was really cute and wholesome all around. This was also I think the first time I was fantasizing about the idea of Ash catching the Pokemon of the day, which in this case was Beartic. I felt really bad for it and loved how earnest it was throughout the episode.
In my eyes this time It felt like Ash is not going to catch the pokemon of the day. Back then it was obvious for me Ash should catch a strong pokemon he is bonding with, and Lance / Bruno were kind of a role model of what should happen. :wynaut:

But this time I was more related to 'just helping' and using Ash's skills to make the world better. And I felt like this EVEN when it looked like this Beartic is something special (Kyurem'ish they said?) and it could be a super climber for trips, and a jumping tank would also mean something in battles.

Though, I wouldn't expect anyway Ash catching any pokemon in this short ATBPM, but maybe a legendary one (a feeling I had before we saw Latias). True it could be awsome if he catched Beartic or even the Gyarados from the specials. OP pokemon for a champion level trainer sounds like Future Ash(*).

By the way, Gyarados, it was the story Ash told the gang in the first sec of this very episode. Blue Sky's special ep rocks.;)

I really need people to go back and actually watch the Johto filler if you think they were like this
Main difference, I think, would be: Tunbear would have a CotD as owner and they instead mainly help that person to train their pokémon. This episode is more similar to BW fillers, just like the previous episode, with its focus on pokémon themselves.

I really need people to go back and actually watch the Johto filler if you think they were like this
The Beartic would probably have belonged to a forgettable Trainer and Team Rocket would've shown up to steal it. Also higher chances the setting would've been a generic forest instead.
Seriously, I get the filler vibes, but I can't see any Johto in it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom