• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN141: Burn! The Zenigame Fire Brigade!!

Charizard can save those pokémon on the roof without help, forced teamwork message there. I wish Latias too help them (without seen) instead of just watching.

This was a cute episode. A little sad too since Charizard and Bulbasaur seem to have grown distant from Squirtle even though it ends with a power friendship moment. I wish Brock had been more relevant though, maybe he could have tended to those who were injured in the fire or something.

It's cool that the kids knew that Ash was a champion, it took a long time until Journeys mentioned the Alola League victory so it's nice that the victory over Leon seems to be well known in the world of the anime.

Nice to see more of Riko. Not a fan of how she wears her bag, it looks kind of stupid tbh. Interesting how they make a big deal about her "mysterious pendant". Maybe the fan theories are right?

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mayumi Iizuka: Kasumi
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Unsho Ishizuka: Foretos
Rikako Aikawa: Zenigame
Katsuyuki Konishi: Gureggru
Sayaka Senbongi: Baneboo
Wakana Minami: Kongpang
Risa Shimizu: Junsa
Tatsuki Kobe: Kongpang's Trainer
Mariko Nagai: Child
Arisa Sekine: Child
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Interesting how they make a big deal about her "mysterious pendant". Maybe the fan theories are right?
Do you mean the Ash's daughter theory? That one is about her hairclip.

The pendant is likely Tera related.

Brock totally could’ve used Ludicolo and Marshtomp to help put out the fire, just to tick off them getting an appearance.

Nice episode though, love the focus on Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle’s friendship - though it only makes me wish we saw more of it back in the day.

It sounded a bit like Ash said to Squirtle that they should battle together soon or something like that? Perhaps I’m imagining it as I don’t understand about 95% of Japanese, but I would like that line even if we never saw it.

Pretty good episode and it's nice to see Bulbasaur and Charizard get to reunite with their old pal Squirtle after so long too.

Cute episode. Albeit, a bit nonsensical.

I thought the lack of non-companion humans in previous episodes was deliberate. But then there were a bunch of people this episode, and I was about to go crazy with everyone recognizing the Squirtle Squad, while seemingly ignoring the world champion until that final scene where Ash got mobbed for autographs.

The actual reunion was good, of course, as was the putting a fire out plot (and even the TRio turning the Squirtle Squad into entertainment was fine), but Squirtle until the fire point felt slightly bratty, and for whatever reason, I was actually upset at Ash having to wait to meet with Squirtle again. Weird episode for me (though also, Team Rocket not recognizing the Squirtle Squad seemingly is very ironic).

Definitely an improvement on the previous offering, lots to really like here. The return of some classic character traits of the Kanto starters, Kasumi and Gregguru taking Takeshi down together and the TRio's motto in this episode were highlights for me. (Also that they showed Thunder Armour in the interchangeable clips in the opening lmao.)

However I feel like Satoshi not insisting on saying hello to Zenigame in the first place was so... callous? What happened to the stubborn Satoshi who would have insisted on being allowed to meet his own Pokemon?! It doesn't exactly feel OOC anymore tbh because his personality and strength of relationships have been diluted so much over the years, but it was definitely enough to break my suspension of disbelief and cheapen the entire reunion.

Overall whilst I enjoyed elements of this, it was not enough to shake my impression that this mini-series is more cynical cash-in than genuine love letter... :confused:

OK, how to put this.

As others of you here, I had also made my peace to enjoy this series as much as I can for what it actually is, than lament what it could have been or should have been.
Although it is hard to do without inserting some head-cannon here and there. Obviously, almost every good piece of art leaves something to imagination, unfortunately with Pokémon it is easy to overthink it and simply risk of trying to see something there which in reality is not there nor was inteded.

With that said - apart from other obvious callbacks+improv/novelties (Brock being dragged by Misty and Croagunk, Ash being recognized as Champion, Team Rocket de facto financing the damage they caused), I enjoyed this episode simply because it showed that Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle love each other. Not romantically, but in sense of deep rooted friendship.
And I liked how it manifested by all of them being touch out of character here with some small pieces of imagery:
  • Bulbasaur and Charizard being in awe seeing poster
  • Squirtle dropping his cool face and glowing with joy upon seeing Ash with them
  • Squirtle being hurt and his feeling slowly showing behind his glasses - and also losing self-confidence for a little bit
  • Bulbasaur and Charizard not even paying attention to Team Rocket in hotel and going straight to Squirtle
  • Charizard using flamethrower greet for the first time in a while - Journeys made it quite deliberate showing that he has grown out of it and keeping cool, but here he is simply overflown with emotions
  • Bulbasaur begins in character with trying to ease the quarrel, but when Squirtle also attacks him, he becomes as emotional as Charizard
  • Bulbasaur and Charizard and faces they made when Ash reminding them of time together, than shaking and continuing to be upset - and also not minding the fire - it really took us back to disobedient Charizard days, but this time Bulbasaur was doing it as well

But then they see too much is at stake, they reconcile, even group together (not needed probably, but welcomed) to save Pokémon on the roof.
And it all ends with Ash hugging Squirtle and Charizard being overjoyed and burning everybody to the point he realises with goofy face he lost it a little bit. :giggle:

So that is that - as far as Squirtle is cool confident (even little jerky) leader, Bulbasaur leader of all Ash's Pokémon, most matured and competent than most CEO's and Charizard is powerhouse, so confident in himself finally that he seemed almost as matured as Bulbasaur in B&W and Journeys...when they meet each other and their feelings are at stake, they become little stubborn children in the instant.
Could happen to all of us, it is simply the sign that emotions are turned up to eleven, and the reason they are turned up to eleven is that person in question is very dear to you.

This is such another Nostalgia episode to see OG crew with Bulbsaur, Squirtle and Charizard together so long since Ash headed to Third region of Hoenn. Squirtle have become famous to become fire squad for saving people from fire incident. Also with Team Rocket try to catch Pikachu fail as it got blast twice by Hariyama and Camerupt simultaneously. Also with Latias keep following Ash and observing after being saved from him since Episode one.

Still remain unquestionable only six episode left wondering we will find out the answer. Also Ash become famous around children is truly funny. Nonetheless, he is our world champion. Of course, he is famous.

Overall rating: B+

Last edited:
Rewstching it, there Is something suspicious about that sudden wind from the sea. Could Latios have created it to test Satoshi's capabilities as a leader?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom