• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN143: Riding on Laplace♪

It's true, but the Poké Ball rules have been so inconsistent throughout the show the Marshtomp plot already felt like rubbish back then, at least this is a better approach IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if both of them contradict something previous series had established though.
If trapped pokémon can't be recalled, it makes more sense that they shouldn't be captured either. So, Journeys handled it better.

Well this is embarrassing but I somehow mistook Kingler for Torterra.

I remember the preview showing a Pokemon not seen for a long time and my mind defaulted to Torterra.
Fun fact: this was Kingler's very first (and also last, :cry:) time partaking in an adventure with the gang instead of just battling.

Last edited:
Fun fact: this was Kingler's very first (and also last, :cry:) time partaking in an adventure with the gang instead of just battling.
Mostly true.

Only very small moments it was with Ash outside of Oak's lab without battling.

It was seen eating in Ash's Indigo League house between round 2 and 3 together with Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Pidgeotto (and eventually Togepi). And the second time when Ash let it out of it's pokéball, only to eventually being taking out of commission saving 3 Voltorb. (Poor thing, he got the most injured in one of the rare moments Ash didn't call it out to battle.)

Since it eating with the others all the way back in the Indigo League arc was the most non-battling we saw Kingler do in Ash's party with the other pokémon, it was nice it at least got to go on an adventure here.

Muk got to travel with Ash in the sewers of a city in the Orange Islands and Tauros trained with Ash, Pikachu and Corphish for the rematch against Anabel, but those could also use a final little adventure with Ash.

Marshtomp: "Who are you?"

Wailmer: "I'm the plot of your episode but better, and somehow longer too."

Shame I had to miss this on Friday since I had to go to the dentist (and it ended up being very quick since they got the date wrong) because this was a very enjoyable episode. Just so many nice character moments, the part where Pikachu's ordering TR and they call him evil was really funny.

Good episode, I found it slightly better than the Squirtle one as it had more heart. The conflict was elongated but it was compensated by the creative solutions and the teamwork of everyone involved. Pikachu forcing Team Rocket to help fits very well with the gag twists we've seen lately and was fun. We could have seen more...Riding on Lapras and more Lapras in general, but she still had a cute contribution to the finale.

Also Marshtomp appeared and thankfully didn't evolve. /10 for the Marshtomp scenes and 8/10 for the others.

I think its the best epiaode so far, not talking about taste/nostalgia. I was afraid of the use of Marshtomp as if it is going to stuck, and it reminded me the wrost epiaode there ever was. But here they did great team work with cool and creative moves.

2 things makes it any less: 1. Can Latias do anything but watch all the time? 2. Not many episodes left and nothing important happend.

It was nice to see ash using his old pokemon again, bayleef really needed more time with Ash! Pikachu was actually a jerk this episode. He used team rocket by threatening to fry them with thunderbolt, and then drowned them in their magykarp submarine. I know team rocket always blast off , and that theyre imortal in this anime, but pikachu gave me some Light Yagami vibes in this episode!

If trapped pokémon can't be recalled, it makes more sense that they shouldn't be captured either. So, Journeys handled it better.
My point was that I just personally don't like it that they can't be either recalled or captured when trapped in the first place, since it's such a blatant writer excuse. But yes, both or neither is the more consistent approach.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom