• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN145: Rocket-dan Strikes Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve very much come to accept that the TRio are most likely to get a ‘happy to continue in the status quo’ ending. Not only is that what seems to be being narratively set up but I can see from a meta POV it gives the franchise the freedom to bring them back as they are whenever they feel they need to. But I think I can now articulate why that outcome is so disappointing.

See, Satoshi and Pikachu travelling and meeting new friends has taken them from rookie to World Champions. It has been a source of constant pleasure and development for them and there is no reason to believe that wouldn’t continue to be the case, assuming they get the non-conclusive ending most of us are anticipating.

On the other hand, the TRio chasing after Pikachu as members of the Rocket Dan has resulted in ritual humiliation, pain and hunger, with no history or possibility of success. Their most fulfilling moments have been outside of that frame. For them to depart in the same situation is not a happy ending. I know I’m biased, but I think these characters have brought so much richness over their tenures that they deserve better.

I’ve very much come to accept that the TRio are most likely to get a ‘happy to continue in the status quo’ ending. Not only is that what seems to be being narratively set up but I can see from a meta POV it gives the franchise the freedom to bring them back as they are whenever they feel they need to. But I think I can now articulate why that outcome is so disappointing.

See, Satoshi and Pikachu travelling and meeting new friends has taken them from rookie to World Champions. It has been a source of constant pleasure and development for them and there is no reason to believe that wouldn’t continue to be the case, assuming they get the non-conclusive ending most of us are anticipating.

On the other hand, the TRio chasing after Pikachu as members of the Rocket Dan has resulted in ritual humiliation, pain and hunger, with no history or possibility of success. Their most fulfilling moments have been outside of that frame. For them to depart in the same situation is not a happy ending. I know I’m biased, but I think these characters have brought so much richness over their tenures that they deserve better.
Expertly put.
In all honestly I'm not sure what else they could do with Ash and Pikachu at this point other than finally defeating Giovanni and defeating Mewtwo or another "uber tier" Legendary in a battle (which would only really require one episode). They won the world championship and I don't think TPCI wants to define Pokémon Master nowadays.
The TRio, though? I can think of a few things, but I'm not sure there's enough time for many of them.

I can understand that given that Team Rocket haven't had any huge accomplishments akin to what Ash has gotten and having them continue to chase after Pikachu forever might not sound satisfying. My thought is that it would still fit with their characters to not give up on their dream. Team Rocket easily could have stayed in Alola since they had a family with Bewear and had a successful business, but they still wanted to chase after Ash and Pikachu.

Plus, I think it would be a bit jarring for either Ash or Team Rocket to have a more conclusive ending. Nothing about these set of specials seems to be setting up for a conclusion for really anyone and I still think it makes more sense to see these episodes as more of a fun sendoff as opposed to the end of the anime like fans keep saying. Plus, most characters generally just keep working towards their goal off-screen as their closure. I don't think Ash or Team Rocket will be too different in that regard, especially when they would want to leave the door open for them to appear again in some form or another down the road.

My thought is that it would still fit with their characters to not give up on their dream.
It's a false dream though isn't it?

Their draw to the Rocket Gang is that each is seeking succour from their sad personal lives. What they actually find, and cling to, is each other. Equally it's obvious they derive satisfaction from the creative enterprises involved in their get-Pikachu schemes - strategising, mech engineering, disguises, performing their motto...

We've never been given a reason to believe that chasing Pikachu is anything other than an excuse to stay and do these things together. The occasions when one or more of them have seen the light and nearly cut loose have always returned to status quo because they've wanted to stay as a team. Literally all they need is to realise that pursuing their individual happiness and staying together are not mutually exclusive.

We've also seen them actively work against the organisation (even as recently as PM19 when they screwed Matori over). Their core values are so mismatching that even their uniforms are custom-designed to mark them out as different. Leaving the Rocket Gang when the time is right has been written into their DNA since the beginning.

The TRio have always been more than just comic villains. I feel like Shudo would be turning in his grave to know that the characters he poured so much soul into were written out of the show in such a lazy manner. Like I said, I'm resigned to this outcome not least because I know the corporate structure will want to keep them in reserve for specials/movies/whatever cheap nostalgia tactics they have planned to continue milking Satoshi and Pikachu ad infinitum. I'm not going to accept however that it makes any narrative sense beyond the most superficial level.

The TRio have always been more than just comic villains. I feel like Shudo would be turning in his grave to know that the characters he poured so much soul into were written out of the show in such a lazy manner. Like I said, I'm resigned to this outcome not least because I know the corporate structure will want to keep them in reserve for specials/movies/whatever cheap nostalgia tactics they have planned to continue milking Satoshi and Pikachu ad infinitum. I'm not going to accept however that it makes any narrative sense beyond the most superficial level.
I completely agree with your sentiments. This mini-series, while pretty enjoyable so far, has left me scratching my head. Why end the show as we know it if they aren't going to do anything interesting with finishing off these characters? Satoshi and the Rockets have always been stuck in a constant loop while Satoshi's friends have always had the luxury of having an ending to their stories, however lackluster they may be. Now that we finally get the chance to see a true ending to these characters, we're going to sacrifice any sense of closure for the chance to have a one-off special years from now?

Like you said, I can accept a non-ending for Satoshi since traveling the world and meeting new Pokemon is his whole thing (and not uber-fanficy like beating Sakaki or dating Serena). But the Rocket trio are clearly so much happier doing anything but being in Team Rocket- selling things, performing, making costumes, etc. Heck, this most recent episode even showed that they were great managers for the Zenigame Squad (even if they did kidnap them...?)!

Some have said that any ending given to them would be out of nowhere since they'd only be given one episode to wrap things up. And while I agree giving the show's three biggest characters after Satoshi and Pikachu one singular episode to close things off makes it impossible to satisfy everyone, I feel like if the writers went down the route of having them leave Team Rocket they'd have so many episodes from multiple series, heck maybe just about every series except Best Wishes, to call back to! A lot of people say they should retire to Alola, but I think they'd fit in just about anywhere.

I know we haven't even gotten a plot summary so I'm trying to stay optimistic but I worry the writing is already on the wall. I just hope we get to hear a lot of the old Miyazaki music made for them.

Could this be true!? Look, I'm not even the biggest fan of the TRio, but it'd still be one hell of a sendoff for them if we could see (most of, I doubt we'll see Arbok and Weezing, maybe a flashback? ) their old Pokemon one last time. In fact, I was hoping something like this would happen! :D (Assuming this is true, of course.)

Found the synopsis on twitter

3/10 Team Rocket Strikes Back! Synopsis (TV station)
The Pokemon that Team Rocket got in various places were delivered to Musashi and his friends.
Rejoicing at the reunion with their old friends, Team Rocket launches the Pikachu Get Operation, which puts everything they've done up to this point on the line.

Is that Twitter account a reputable source? Not trying to be a Debbie downer here but I’d hate for everyone to get excited about this only for it to not be true…

If this is true then it’s a very…interesting idea but I’m not sure how I’d feel about it being the trio’s supposed sendoff. I’d have to see more before I know how I feel.

Is that Twitter account a reputable source? Not trying to be a Debbie downer here but I’d hate for everyone to get excited about this only for it to not be true…

If this is true then it’s a very…interesting idea but I’m not sure how I’d feel about it being the trio’s supposed sendoff. I’d have to see more before I know how I feel.
Not sure if it is reliable but would love it to be true, seeing Team Rocket using their old Pokemon again, a great way to say goodbye to them

Okay but which old Pokemon though… I, for one, would rather see James reunite with Victreebel more than Weezing. These two had a better chemistry.
I'm guessing the ones at Team Rocket HQ, like Seviper, Carnivine, Yanmega, etc. (Probably won't see 'mons like Cacnea and Dustox though, considering they're in different regions/are released.)

Adamant said:
The Pokémon the Rocket Gang got in all kinds of places have been sent to Musashi and the others. And the Rocket Gang, overjoyed at seeing their old companions again, launch a plan for getting Pikachu that puts absolutely everything on the line.
Judging by their track record, Arbok and Weezing are likely to appear.

Yeah...I'm gonna need something more official...

There's NO way they can fit all of the TRio's old Pokemon into one episode, let alone let them all DO something...
Heck, some of Ash's Pokemon had just been space fillers or did something for a second and then disappeared in these episodes. So what hope would the TRio's Pokemon have if ALL of them appeared? :confused_emoji:

This is probably the return of Pokemon that were supposedly dropped off at headquarters without proper separation:

Jessie: Seviper, Yanmega, Woobat, Frillish, Gourgeist
James: Mime Jr., Carnivine, Yamask, Amoonguss, Inkay (Morpeko????)

This is probably the return of Pokemon that were supposedly dropped off at headquarters without proper separation:
Jessie: Seviper, Yanmega, Woobat, Frillish, Gourgeist
James: Mime Jr., Carnivine, Yamask, Amoonguss, Inkay (Morpeko????)
This is the most likely outcome, and I'll be really happy if they go this route. First of all, it works out perfectly to give both Musashi and Kojiro a full team of six (including Sonansu and Morpeko, of course). Secondly and more importantly, if this episode does end up being the Trio's last hurrah, it gives Tomioka an opening to let them flee Team Rocket without leaving any of their Pokémon behind (again, if they decide to go this route).

A reunion will be fun, but truthfully all I want is honest-to-goodness closure for Team Rocket. And to clarify, when I say "closure", I don't necessarily mean "a conclusion". I'm not interested in seeing Sakaki reveal his master plan for world domination that culminates in a grand battle with Satoshi and his friends that results in the organization's downfall or anything fanfiction-y like that. I simply want Musashi, Kojiro, and Nyarth to end on a note I can be satisfied with. Whether they decide to chase Pikachu forever or decide to quit Team Rocket and open another food truck business or decide to move back to Alola, I don't really have a preference as long as they devote enough screentime to commit to the decision. I want an episode that tells the audience "This is the status quo these characters have chosen for themselves, their hearts are 100% behind this choice, and this status quo makes them wholeheartedly happy". That's it. That's all I need. I'll always be a little sad that we'll never know what fate Takeshi Shudō would have chosen for them if he could have, but there's still an opportunity to do right by these characters.

Last edited:
Dephender at Serebii confirms the summary is true

After receiving the Pokémon got in all kinds of regions from the Rocket Gang HQ, Musashi and the others prepare to start a plan for getting Pikachu that puts absolutely everything on the line.

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 尼野浩正 (Hiromasa Amano)
Episode Director 上野史博 (Fumihiro Ueno)
Animation Director 篠原隆 (Takashi Shinohara)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom