• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN146: Satoshi and Latios!

I honestly actually enjoyed this one. Plenty of great action and Ash and Pikachu proving once again that they are indeed Pokemon Masters.

Wasn't expecting a nod to Heroes at the end too, that was pretty cool.

Not sure what's going on with the TRio though and the ending feels a bit flat.

Really good episode with some nice action sequences, although I can't help but be disappointed that after all that build up Satoshi didn't catch Latias. It would have been a great way to end his time on the show, and given that Shigeru and Go both have one it would have been nice for Satoshi to officially catch a Legendary.

Didn't think much of Budget J, I will admit. I think my main problem is that he looked a bit overdesigned. Remember how simple and effective J was... just a long black coat and that was it.

One thing I did really like was that after everything he went through Satoshi never did manage to befriend Latios and the Eon Pokemon still thinks humans are jerks. Can't win them all.

Finally, nice to see Musashi got the Nyarth balloon in the divorce.

The second that it was revealed that Latias was following Ash to see if he was someone she could trust to help her, I figured they wouldn’t have him catch her. Though it does beg the question of why they had Ash going around this whole thing with at least 1 open slot in his team. At that point, they could have shown off much more reserves.

On its own merits an ok episode, but really they could hardly have made a less poignant penultimate chapter to Satoshi’s story. I regret so much that this series has continued the way of PM19 - a setup with such brilliant potential, squandered on disconnected story beats with no cohesive narrative. We were given no reason to care about the events of this episode. The stakes couldn’t have been lower, the outcome more obvious or the action less repetitive.

Again, nice episode. Showing Ash doesn’t befriend everything and everyone is something of particular notice, giving a nudge that he still has more to learn. However, in the grand scheme of things, I just can’t help but be disappointed.
You spend three months establishing Latias, and there’s more of a farewell spent towards Latios rather than Latias? Ash didn’t even say goodbye to Latias, did he? Like, seriously?

What a decent episode and for all the theory of Ash catching either one of Eon legendary flush down to the toilet and never to be mention again. Also, one theory that Bianca finally put into the official storyline of the series. The very same girl that befriend of the legendary in Movie 5. Now the question is wondering if Liko truly is her daughter in upcoming new series? Only next month or a year to find out. Anyway, Team Rocket back to square one again to their HQ. Despite saying spilt. On top of that, the Pokemon hunter is merciless by stoning everyone. Eventually was brought it down of trust by Ash with Latios.

Anyway, one more episode left before is goodbye to Ash and Pikachu.

Overall rating: B+

You know what would have worked? If Ash “caught” Latias, of it’s own choosing, but Ash allowed it to roam freely, like Goh’s Suicune.
Meanwhile, Latios does not wish for this, but can still be with Latias. That way, it shows Ash still has a bit to learn to befriend Pokemon like Latios, but it at least acknowledges he has come leaps and bounds when a legendary wants to be “united” with him.

Also, I have to ask a question. The whole point of this mini-series is to show that a Pokemon Master can bond with any Pokemon. But, when has Ash ever not been good at that? He has more knowledge and is wiser, but the outcome remains the same none the less - he’s just more efficient at it. He’s befriended a Zygarde and a Solgaleo, Azelf recognises him as the embodiment of Willpower, Tapu Koko acknowledges him, and I guess Lugia too…Don't you think the Mewtwo from that one Journeys episode would be a more fitting choice than Latios and Latias? A Pokemon that wishes to be excluded completely from humanity, whereas another has been shown to live near them?

You know what would have worked? If Ash “caught” Latias, of it’s own choosing, but Ash allowed it to roam freely, like Goh’s Suicune.
Meanwhile, Latios does not wish for this, but can still be with Latias. That way, it shows Ash still has a bit to learn to befriend Pokemon like Latios, but it at least acknowledges he has come leaps and bounds when a legendary wants to be “united” with him.

Also, I have to ask a question. The whole point of this mini-series is to show that a Pokemon Master can bond with any Pokemon. But, when has Ash ever not been good at that? He has more knowledge and is wiser, but the outcome remains the same none the less - he’s just more efficient at it. He’s befriended a Zygarde and a Solgaleo, Azelf recognises him as the embodiment of Willpower, Tapu Koko acknowledges him, and I guess Lugia too…Don't you think the Mewtwo from that one Journeys episode would be a more fitting choice than Latios and Latias? A Pokemon that wishes to be excluded completely from humanity, whereas another has been shown to live near them?
The writers don´t have time to develop a well though conclusion to a 26 year old beloved character like Ash. They are too occupied with their super duper original and fresh characters Riko and Roy who will revolutionize the anime industry. Please understand.

Interesting that Latios didn't even gain any respect for Ash in the end. I like how they are willing to show that not everyone will be nice to you just because you were nice. Maybe they didn't want it to be too sweet.

Then there is the conflict with Team Rocket. Not sure where they are going with this but I have a feeling they might give them a special later? I wonder if this means other characters could also be given special episodes. I don't think there is enough time to give both Ash and Team Rocket a good conclusion in the last episode.

Interesting that Latios didn't even gain any respect for Ash in the end. I like how they are willing to show that not everyone will be nice to you just because you were nice. Maybe they didn't want it to be too sweet.

Then there is the conflict with Team Rocket. Not sure where they are going with this but I have a feeling they might give them a special later? I wonder if this means other characters could also be given special episodes. I don't think there is enough time to give both Ash and Team Rocket a good conclusion in the last episode.
Ash and Team Rocket will get an open ending so they can be brought back if the new series fails.

Is reinforcing a long standing theme redundant and bad? Most likely, but personally I always find an additional takeaway from the majority of the repetition the anime does. Same thing goes for most Rocket breakups too. This talk of catching Latios/Latias is so uninteresting to me. That being said this plotline isn't that great either.

Swellow turns this from okay to perfect though.

Nothing too crazy here, fairly predictable and straightforward ep. Great seeing my boy Hydreigon in action again, he’s been shafted a lot. Didn’t care much about the Latis plotline but just another example of how Ash can befriend and communicate with legendary and normal pokemon alike. Having adventures like that shows how far he’s come I guess. And how that’s what being a pokemon master encapsulates. Which seems like the series’s message to me

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom