• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN147: The Rainbow and the Pokémon Master!

i didn't forget satoshi saw ho-oh at the end of journeys.

but even if i did, as i said, i also believe that lucario should have appeared in this miniseries (beyond that photograph in the first episode; that actually didn't stick with me), the arguments i would make to show ho-oh are all the same as i used for lucario:
1) it's too important for satoshi's journey. show it in both places, journey's finale and this finale if you want. it's that important.
2) or, if it's argued that ho-oh really isn't that important, i would again say, "well, why not show it?" it wouldn't have been that hard to show, and many were expecting it-at least as many if not more as were expecting pidgeot in this episode.

i think ho-oh's absence was much more glaring than lucario's (i mean, i'm sure i'm one of only a very few wondering about lucario not being here in the series, or in the opening), and i just doubt the reasoning was as pure from the writers/people in charge as let's not show it in too many places at once to give something else a chance. even if that's what they might say if asked.

i think what's most important should be shown in the finale, even to the point of overemphasis. if there's room for more, then sure, show more. but the most important things, or what a large percentage of the fanbase considers important even if they are misguided in the minds of the writers, should be there, or at least addressed.

but, as a few others have said and going further with this point, taking the end of journeys as the real true finale to this series is not losing much and may not be a bad thing. there is ho-oh in the journeys finale. and then, two scenes in the aim to be a master series can be safely ignored: 1) takeshi's answer to "what about being a pokemon doctor" and 2) satoshi saying he doesn't care about being champion, both of which change the outlook of those characters that have been had for a really long time, with one very quick answer.

I think what people were hoping for is an answer to why Ho-Oh kept passing by Ash. At a certain point, coincidence just doesn’t explain it. Overall, I would have rather had Ho-Oh in place of Latias if that’s what it took to get that particular answer instead of relegating it to a final tease followed by a somewhat clickbait title for the final episode.
Eh, Ho-Oh remaining a mystery works for me. I much prefer it remains this ellusive guardian angel over getting bastardized into a damsel in distress or a mindless kaiju like so many legendaries have over the years.

Underwhelming but good episode overall. No one can take back the bad or the good moments. And for me it wont conclude anything. But I do think we should say tnx for this 11 episodes last chance to stay with Ash and get some nostalgic / altnoy stuff.

So being a friend for every single pokemon is a nice thought. For me the Beartic episode was the one I liked the most for the PokemonMaster saga - maybe because I thought it would be so boring and it wasn't even close, but mainly because this kind of Pokemon Master Ash I would like to see in the movies / specials if there ever will be.

4 things unsolved even for an 'open' ending:
1. GRENINJA - enough with the distance.. brutal ending for him.
2. Ash's father.. they brought him recently for nothing?
3. Ash's aura / super bond not being part of the answer for becoming a master, and just were pushed aside - not whole.
4. Not showing Ash challenging someone for a battle with Pikachu or any other ace is not realistic.

MPM was pretty terrible at giving conclusion to everyone. Misty and Brock apparently returned to their gyms, but we don't know what their current goal is. Will Misty take over the gym again, or continue traveling to become water pokémon master? What Brock is up to, what was the point of his travel and what he learned? Team Rocket seems like demoted to kitchen duty, did they left the organization to follow Pikachu instead? Do Gary still part of Project Mew, why did he bring starters to Prof Oak?

2. Ash's father.. they brought him recently for nothing?
That was AU Satoshi, his father is of absolutely no consequence or importance in the tv series.

The more I think about this final episode, the more I think it should have been a much better experience as a one hour special combined with the Latias/Latios episode.

This was such a beautiful episode, and in my opinion, a perfect way to end Ash's time on the anime. I know a lot of people were expecting the final arc to be some big blowout that tied all of the loose ends together, but I really enjoyed these episodes for what they were and how they were concluded. I thought this episode would destroy me, and I definitely shed a few tears, but ultimately I felt very at peace with the ending. It's nice to see Ash continue on with his journey, so we know that he's still out there, even if we can't see him.

I loved how lowkey the episode was. I think that helped make it easier to let go, because we got to see that no matter what, Ash is still Ash. He's going to act the same and enjoy his time and keep chasing his goals. Considering Ash has always been my favorite TV character, I really felt like this was a love letter to Ash as a character and to everyone who grew up with him and loved him. It was so nice that the focus really remained on him and Pikachu with all of the supporting characters appearing in a smaller capacity, but being those who were probably among the most important to Ash's growth both as a trainer and a person.

And how cool was it to see Pidgeot again?? I truly thought we'd never see him reunite with Ash. That was the one loose thread I was happy to see get closed up. It just felt really nice and unexpected after all this time.

I've loved being able to write out my thoughts on new Pokémon episodes for all these years and to have such great discussions with fellow fans. Just like I thought I'd be inconsolable with this episode, I thought it would be very difficult for me to walk away from the anime as well, but this ending truly felt like such a great stopping point. Hopefully one day Ash will appear again, be it in the show or in movies, and I will be able to chime into these discussions again. Until then, it's been real everyone! :giggle:

That's just what you wanted though, not stated. Same way I could claim that Brock became a breeder again, and Misty left the gym again after visiting her sisters.

It’s been hard to comment since I’ve been having many feelings and wrestling with the fact he’s really gone for good, a day I never thought I’d live to see.

That ending shot of him just…disappearing from sight as the stick fell down is gonna stick with me for awhile, he’ll still be going on adventures, but we won’t be seeing them anymore, it’s just really sad to think about.

This show meant the world to me and I thank everyone involved for working on it for so long. I’m someone who much prefers this open ended finale where the possibilities are endless to a big climax that definitively ended the story, till we meet again buddy.

Okay I'm going to say it. That definition of Pokémon Master is incredibly unsatisfying.

1. What does he by all? Does that mean he wants to be friends with billions Caterpie? That's just absurd. Maybe he meant being able to befriend any Pokémon but that's not the way it was phrased.
2. He spent a lot of time socializing with humans. Given that high bar.
3. Catching a Pokémon instantly makes a Pokémon his friend but he was way more focused on battling then collecting throughout the series. Goh literally connects catching with understanding and friendship but Ash doesn't let that input from his friend encourage him to catch more Pokémon.

Okay I'm going to say it. That definition of Pokémon Master is incredibly unsatisfying.

1. What does he by all? Does that mean he wants to be friends with billions Caterpie? That's just absurd. Maybe he meant being able to befriend any Pokémon but that's not the way it was phrased.
2. He spent a lot of time socializing with humans. Given that high bar.
3. Catching a Pokémon instantly makes a Pokémon his friend but he was way more focused on battling then collecting throughout the series. Goh literally connects catching with understanding and friendship but Ash doesn't let that input from his friend encourage him to catch more Pokémon.
You know, it’s kinda funny. With how they defined a Pokémon Master, it kinda makes Go a bit superfluous and kinda Ash’s ultimate rival since they both end up overlapping in that regard.

That was AU Satoshi, his father is of absolutely no consequence or importance in the tv series.

The more I think about this final episode, the more I think it should have been a much better experience as a one hour special combined with the Latias/Latios episode.
I feel like of all the differences between standard Ash and Movie 20 timeline Ash, his dad's identity is probably not among them, lol.

Frankly I'm just more annoyed they never actually showed the dude. Even seeing him in the alternate continuity would have been enough to satiate my curiosity.

I actually liked the open "ending". It gives a good idea on how Ash´s life will be from now. He will keep traveling with pikachu and befriending people and pokemon. This is exactly what he did in every filler episode. Yeah , I would like to see primeape again. Yeah, it would be nice to know who is ash´s father. But im ok with it. Just because Ash is not the protagonist anymore , it doesnt mean he cant apear in paldea . Other anime changed protagonists , but the old protagonists can appear sometimes.

According to this wiki ash will be back, sometime in the future...

... On February 2023, The Pokémon anime executive Kunihiko Yuyama confirmed Ash's departure from Pokemon will only be temporary. Speaking to Spring 2023 issue of Otomedia magazine (via Dogasu), Yuyama said that Ash will return in the future ...

This episode was a fitting conclusion to this mini-series which was a fitting conclusion to PM19. In other words, it was utter rubbish.

I’m not against an open ending for Satoshi and Pikachu, I agree that really that was the only plausible outcome. It’s the manner of delivery that irks. They didn’t need 11 episodes of filler material to reach this conclusion, the writing was already on the wall. Also, open-ended doesn’t have to mean totally inconclusive. I just feel the standards of writing and series construction for the anime have become so low that we’re all willing to accept any old shit that pretends to pull on our heartstrings. Say what you want about Shudo’s proposed dinosaur ending, but I reckon the man would be devastated by what we actually got narrative-wise.

I have nothing to say about the TRio’s ending that I didn’t already say here and here. Luckily my new bundle of joy is more than distracting me from any devastation I would otherwise have felt. It is what it is now.

I never understood why so many so called «TR fans» wanted them to quit TR. In my opinion, it shows they never quite understood these characters even after 26 years.
I also love that they added the cafetria work scene since that hopefully shows the so called «TR fans» that wanted them to leave the organization that this is their true happiness.

I was going to ignore this because I feel sorry you’ve had hard times and losing the TRio is such an emotional body blow, but the fact you’ve said it twice… This kind of fandom policing is not at all ok. I don’t agree with your viewpoint at all but I accept it as valid and I’d never question your status as a fan, what gives you the right to question anyone else’s? Honestly, rein in the entitlement.

I don’t recall but wasn’t he the one who in interview was more so hopeful that we’ll see Ash again rather than outright saying that Ash would be back?
Either way I wouldn't entirely be surprised.

I mean having a new series/season entirely with Ash and Co not being regulars is something, but I often feel whatever receptions that the Legend of Raikou. Pokémon Chronicles, Pokémon Origins and so on had, it gave them the message that doing something outside the norm isn't as profitable.

Whether it's cause the target demo can't enjoy a season/series without Ash/Pikachu or they don't put their best writing, I can't entirely say.

Origins is definitely an example of what I'm talking about cause whatever the reason was for the length it kind of an opposite to the main anime in that it wasn't long enough. All of the Gym Battles. TR and Elite Four stuff should have had more room.

And to be fair with those skeptical, yeah whether this season proves the powers that be wrong depends if the creative team are chosen well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom