• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JNS02: Rampaging Heatran!!

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Etsuko Kozakura: Pochama
Kenta Miyake: Heatran
Katsuyuki Konishi: Gureggru
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Kei Shindo: Agnome
Sayaka Senbongi: Yuxie
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Megumi Toyoguchi: Hikari
Akemi Okamura: Saturn
Rie Tanaka: Mars
Chinami Nishimura: Jupiter
Tatsuki Kobe: Galaxy Gang Underling
Kosuke Tanabe: Galaxy Gang Underling
Shogo Sakata: Galaxy Gang Underling
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Personally, this return for Brock feels a bit more organic to me than the Sun and Moon one (though I'm not saying there wasn't any post-OS continuity there). Maybe because this time we see a bit more of development from when he actually left at the end of Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
Will go catch one of the hisui pokemons? One of the old forms also?

Chole wilp not appear as i thought. Looking for these two episodes

Will go catch one of the hisui pokemons? One of the old forms also?

Chole wilp not appear as i thought. Looking for these two episodes
I don’t think that they actually go to Hisui. From the looks of things, it was kinda an event celebrating Hisui, like a Renaissance Fair and Ash, Dawn and Go dress up for it while taking part in an event.

Nice to see the show has already forgot about the fact that Takeshi was given a Cuwawa in Alola specifically to help him out when he became a Pokemon Doctor. Guess the poor thing has been left to rot in its Poke Ball...

I don't know Japanese so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Team Galactic wants to bring Cyrus back.
Also, was that giant fire monster supposed to be Heatran? I wasn't really following.

I liked this more than the first part. I like it when characters struggle in Pokemon. Usually everything is sugarcoated in the anime. Even when there's a conflict it's usually hard to take seriously. And I'm not just talking about Team Rocket capturing Pikachu with a cartoon prop and Ash clenching his teeth and saying "Oh no! It's Team Rocket! They're bad guys who try to steal other people's Pokemon!". The anime can and has cartoonifyed serious things like kidnapping and made them hard to take seriously. Even in major stuff like the XYZ Finale, Ash was struggling, but he didn't show the level of helplessness we get from this Episode.

I like it. It's a great change of pace.

Even ignoring this part, it's clear this Episode was aimed at older fans. It had a ton of references to Sinnoh events, and maybe even... Too much.
When old characters return in the Anime, it seems to struggle a lot with keeping the balance between "Urgh, fine, here's that old character you like so much, anyway let's move on" and "HEY GUYS! REMEMBER THAT THING THAT HAPPENED IN THE OLDER SERIES? REMEMBER THIS CHARACTER?!?!?! HEY GUYS LOOK THEY'RE BACK!!!!"
I'm not saying we get too many returning characters. I'm starved for character returns just as much as everyone else. It's just that when they do happen, they either get glossed over anticlimactically or are completely inaccessible and confusing to younger viewers and only exist as cheap nostalgia shills. I'd imagine I'd be very bored if I was a little kid and the funny Pikachu show was talking about a bunch of lame adults doing stuff with characters I don't know or care about.

Overall, this was better than the previous part where it felt like Cynthia is organizing a Boy Scouts activity. And this episode is a great setup for the next 2 parts.
...Which is exactly why I'm not setting my expectations for them. Both of the previous Sinnoh 2-parters had a great setup in the first part and a disappointing result in the second. I'm not getting excited over what could very possibly be a disappointment.

Last edited:
I don't know Japanese so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Team Galactic wants to bring Cyrus back.
Also, was that giant fire monster supposed to be Heatran? I wasn't really following.
You are correct on both accounts. For the latter, if I understood correctly, it had something to do with Heatran's Flash Fire Ability.

Nice to see the show has already forgot about the fact that Takeshi was given a Cuwawa in Alola specifically to help him out when he became a Pokemon Doctor. Guess the poor thing has been left to rot in its Poke Ball...
To be fair, I don't think anyone would remember that as it was a 5 second thing the ep itself glossed over

I think this is unfair to say given how Brock's screen time played out.

When Brock visited Ash in Alola, of his three last seen party Pokémon, only Sudowoodo appeared for screentime (who also did not appear in this episode, with Comfey) - that did not mean Croagunk and Chansey were forgotten, especially given their appearances now.
To be fair, I don't think anyone would remember that as it was a 5 second thing the ep itself glossed over
A capture is a capture, even if it pales in comparison to others. I would imagine there's some kind of file on the main characters regarding the Pokémon they own for writers to reference when they're making episodes.

I think Comfey wasn't seen because the focus was on Blissey's new evolution (which also served to demonstrate some growth for Brock in his career) while Croagunk was there not only for DP fan service, but to reignite its rivalry with Saturn's Toxicroak (which I appreciated, as that is years worth of continuity).

A weird episode. It felt like a lot of things happened, but at the same time not enough due to the slow pacing and the lack of battles. But it's still worthy because of the small moments, like the flashback of the Team Galactic climax or...Brock. It was really cool to see him progressing on his goal and driving a fricking jet. What a champ.

Why chloe doesn't appear so much? At least let her appear in this episode as she really bonded with dawn

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Etsuko Kozakura: Pochama
Kenta Miyake: Heatran
Katsuyuki Konishi: Gureggru
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Kei Shindo: Agnome
Sayaka Senbongi: Yuxie
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Megumi Toyoguchi: Hikari
Akemi Okamura: Saturn
Rie Tanaka: Mars
Chinami Nishimura: Jupiter
Tatsuki Kobe: Galaxy Gang Underling
Kosuke Tanabe: Galaxy Gang Underling
Shogo Sakata: Galaxy Gang Underling
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration
So, no Cynthia this time? :(
It had a ton of references to Sinnoh events
At least that's good news. I love Sinnoh because I think it's been the greatest adventure and region so far.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom