• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JNS05: The Distant Blue Sky

Team Rocket were as pointless as ever in this episode but I did find it funny whilst Team Rocket were doing their motto, Ash grabbed the key and started to free Pikachu
This is actually how I prefer Team Rocket, I like it when absolutely no other character takes their antics seriously. I like seeing them setting up a plan for half the episode only for it to not even be considered a threat (though it was far less than half an episode here.) I think they work best as joke villains because it's a bit jarring when Ash and gang take them seriously in SM and Journeys especially.

I really love the scene from the end of OI where Team Rocket wants to steal Gary's Eevee, so they set up a giant stage in the forest to perform their motto on when Gary walks by and he doesn't even notice it and keeps walking past them.

I really love the scene from the end of OI where Team Rocket wants to steal Gary's Eevee, so they set up a giant stage in the forest to perform their motto on when Gary walks by and he doesn't even notice it and keeps walking past them.
I will admit that was a funny scene but it makes them feel less of a threat, especially when they show up every episode

Didn't realize this until I saw someone point it out on Twitter, but the cap Ash gets from Delia is his original series hat, replacing the AU cap that Ash gave to Mankey.

FkqNkuUWQAM4sfX.jpg

Fkp8ypMXwAQBSK0.jpg

I will admit that was a funny scene but it makes them feel less of a threat, especially when they show up every episode
In my opinion they shouldn't be a threat, if it were up to me they'd get their own B plot as goofy cartoon villains in most episodes they appear in like Dr. Doofenshmirtz or something. Idk just a thought I had, I think it would've been a fitting role for them but probably most people won't agree.

While we were teased at getting to see Ash’s dad only to miss it, I gotta say that having Ash’s original iconic hat be a gift from his father is such a better origin for it than what it got in the anime and I wish that had been what it originally was. That would’ve made Ash’s determination to get it back in Primeape Goes Bananas so much more emotional.

While we were teased at getting to see Ash’s dad only to miss it, I gotta say that having Ash’s original iconic hat be a gift from his father is such a better origin for it than what it got in the anime and I wish that had been what it originally was. That would’ve made Ash’s determination to get it back in Primeape Goes Bananas so much more emotional.
Perhaps more emotional, but there is merit to the old origin. The hat was hard work and getting it back was also hard work. At keast per the Suede analysis

Between Ash and Team Rocket's designs, Ishizuka's narration, and Miyazaki's music, mmm.... us old school Pokemon fans are eating good. The music in this really drives home how disappointing PM2019's score is, and I generally like the music Yuki Hayashi made for the show. We got a nice mixture of AG, BW, XY, and SM music. Where was this during the world tour series?

Music from pre-BW?? In my modern Pokémon episode? It’s more likely than you think.

This episode was a nice refresher after Pocket Monsters ‘19. The old Miyazaki music and the overall vibe of the episode were nice after how soulless the previous series could feel. As I said in the preview thread, while I wish they had really leaned in to the original series style, I could still appreciate this for what it was.

A brand new Rocket motto sequence!!! For the first time in years! Kind of random that they used the AG motto music, but it was nice to hear regardless.

I’ve never been one who’s been fixated on seeing Satoshi’s dad since it never seemed important. Satoshi’s story never really needed it, and the fan fixation on it reminds me of all those lame “Disney characters don’t have moms!!” buzzfeed clickbait headlines. But I don’t really get the fake-out here either. What’s the point of mentioning him for the first time in forever but then not showing him? It just reminds me of all the dumb nostalgia fake-outs we got in the first year of PM19.

I was confused of this special’s existence, especially being set in the M20 universe, leading up to it. But someone on Twitter pointed out something interesting. Since Satoshi got his original series hat, this could open the door for future one-off specials in the future. After all, Satoshi and Pikachu are huge marketing figures, and they’ll probably be even more-so in the future after the stop being main characters. This special could allow for non-committal specials that don’t need to adhere to any continuity or timelines.

Really did feel like watching a classic episode :cry:

My favorite episodes in the series are always the ones that lean towards being more character-driven and it feels refreshing to get to see more of those again but featuring COTD. I enjoy that the episode took place in a timeline isolated from the main anime, as it allowed them to take more creative liberties with topics like Ash's dad as well as showing more of Pallet Town. The plot was simple, but the episode still had a nice message of being appreciative towards the many small moments you have with partners/friends/family etc., which hit me, as I lost a pet recently. The score elevated the mood that this episode brought even more, and I think it gave a feeling that most of the Journeys soundtrack just couldn't quite nail. Having the episode end with Ash using aura to connect with Haruto to was a creative way to end the episode on a positive note that still felt organic

NOTES:
  • Yuyuma's work was great to see and it was nice getting to see what a modern TV rendition of the classic Ash design would look like
  • The disguises, the themes, and the funny interaction between Ash and TR embodied so much of the magic of the early series and I'm happy we got to see the quartet in a more polished look one more time
  • lol at Ash's dad still being a mystery 25 years later

OVERALL SCORE:
8/10

Really enjoyed this episode. The story was a nice emotional piece that made Satoshi appreciate the comforts he took for granted every day as well as appreciate his family even if he didn't see his father as much as he'd like to (I appreciated the confirmation that Satoshi Snr. is still alive and does try to see his son when he can... and I maintain my headcanon that his dad is the COTD from that Moltres side story episode).

Between the plot, the characters, the simple focus and the old-school music (which really makes it obvious just how lackluster the majority of Pokemon 2019's OST is), this really made me nostalgia for the original series.

I also laughed at Satoshi failing to catch Gyarados. Since his Lizardon seems to be gone (maybe he was left in the AU valley), it seems this Satoshi is destined to only ever have Pikachu on his team.

and I maintain my headcanon that his dad is the COTD from that Moltres side story episode).
Duuuude.......you and me both on that one. I firmly believe Silver is Ash's father.
and the old-school music (which really makes it obvious just how lackluster the majority of Pokemon 2019's OST is)
Yeeeah........no disrespect to Hayashi, but Miyazaki's music is about a million times better. Hayashi's music definitely contributed to the, as you said, lackluster feel of Journeys.

Last edited:
The music was not the issue

It is very much a case of the writing and animation not being able to keep up with what the music is saying

To be fair, I said, "contributed." I never said the music was the sole reason for the lackluster feel of Journeys. And while I do agree with you in that the writing and animation weren't able to keep up with said music (trust me, I get it, the writing and animation were both abysmal at times,) I'm sorry, but it's opinion that even at his best, Hayashi's work was still woefully inferior to Miyazaki's.

Last edited:
This is a beautiful and somber episode that has multiple layers to it. Ash establishes early on that he has not seen his father in a very long time, and Ash seems really excited to see him again. However, since Ash got side tracked and helped out a random stranger in Haruto, Ash missed his chance to see his father again. Ash is always one to make fast friends though, and we can see that Ash respected Haruto’s boundries instead of forced him to shake his hand, or to eat food that he got from Haruto’s parents. However, the most selfless act of all was when Ash gave up his hat to some random Mankey, for some random kid to get his hat back. Then Haruto was revealed to be deceased, which was shocking. A child death is a parent's worst nightmare, and they did a great job capturing how depressed the parents were and how they want to remember their child. However, the most mysterious bit was when Ash’s dad gave Ash a new hat. Did he somehow know that Ash’s current hat was given to the Mankey? Why would the dad give Ash a second hat when he only wears one?

Ash crying at the dinner Delia cooked was also surprising, and surprisingly deep. Ash could be crying for multiple reasons here. He could be sad that he thought he made a new friend, but lost Haruto as soon as he met him. He could be sad that Haruto’s parents have to keep living their lives without their child around, and how Ash is grateful to be alive. He could be sad because he was looking forward to seeing his dad all day long, and is devastated that he missed out on seeing him, while being thankful for the new hat that he gave Ash. He could just be grateful that he was able to enjoy a family dinner with his mom. This is a surprisingly deep and profound story that you do not see much in Pokémon, and it was very well done. I even liked how Team Rocket implied that they don’t get to eat much, and are desperate for a promotion in order to enjoy proper meals. Then Delia selflessly gives them a full course meal. It really goes to show that a little kindness goes a long way.

Overall, I didn’t expect much from this episode beforehand, but this is truly a work of art. There is a lot to analyze about this episode. I could imagine that Rica Matsumoto was emotional when recording this episode. If there was any episode of Pokémon that perfectly encapsulated Ash Ketchum’s morals and personality, it’s this one. This is one of my top 15 favorite Pokémon episodes of all time, 10/10.

Nice throwback episode, its own self contained adventure that’s familar but different. Really liked the soundtrack here. The art-style is mixed for me, it’s like putting SM/Journeys over the OS backgrounds. It didn’t quite land but Ash looks better here. Looks more like himself. The message was surprisingly heartfelt and the ghost twist was built up nicely imo. It was really nice seeing Ash use his aura powers to allow Haruto to touch Pikachu in particular. Also seeing him vulnerable at the end, where he’s crying but doesn’t know why. It still shows how he’s just a kid who can’t fully process his emotions yet and gives him more depth. His first instinct being giving Mankey his own cap when he saw it crying was also touching. Little things like that showcases his character without them spelling it out for us

Overall I’m happy with this as its standalone special

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom