• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JNS05: The Distant Blue Sky

Really good episode, feels like there's a lot of heart and soul put into it. I'm glad they got to make this even if it's isolated from the rest of the anime. The plot was simple but emotional, laid-back but not padded-out. Just perfect.

When the trailer came out, I found weird that they'd be bringing one-time characters this late into the show, but when it's for storylines like these I'm not complaining. Meeting and parting with people is one of Ash's things at its core and hey, if Haruto ends up being the final character of the day, then I'm down for it.

One of the most impressive things for me is that I got strong "Ash's dad is dead" vibes from it. Some sort of paralellism with Haruto's family and the cap, then Ash crying... it's pretty vague but I don't think this whole "dad" thing was included to make noise or for fanservice points (like it did sorta feel for the I Choose You movie). I'm not sure it would explain some of Delia's actions (could the hat be a gift Ash's dad left him before passing? Why would she giving it now?), but I don't think delving too much into it is necessary.

Edit: A different interpretation is that Ash's dad really is busy, and Ash crying is him appreciating his family. After meeting Haruto's own parents, then getting the hat and food from his dad and mom, it makes makes perfect sense he'd be reflecting on it. It's a very touching way to see it as well. This may as well be the correct interpretation instead of my first impressions, which were admittedly a bit more convoluted.

On a different note, they went all-out with Miyazaki's soundtrack IMO, it wasn't just the classics but they had stuff from throughout the years (shoutouts to the AG Rocket motto music, for instance). And including Ishizuka's recordings for the narration was a good call too. It feels like they're consciously trying to honor the people who've worked on this show in the past as we're reaching the end.

In the end, I feel like this was a much-needed episode, assuming the final main series arc is going to have more spectacle to it. I'm super happy that the anime staff is able to take these kind of liberties to give closure to the show, considering we'd probably be drowning in Scarlet & Violet content under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
I had a hard time falling asleep after I watched this episode. It felt too real to me. I’m on a vacation with my family right now, and I have the best mom I could ever ask for. She spent thousands of dollars on us to enjoy the best vacation we possibly could, in sunny California in 70 degree weather, in the middle of this harsh winter. When I had breakfast with my family this morning, I had tears rolling down my eyes, just like Ash did. This is because my dad never joins us for anything. I almost never see my dad, ever. I only saw him two times this entire year, and when I do see him, he makes sure to get me some sort of gift while he’s in town. My dad is never there for me when I need him, but deep down, I do think he does care about me. I am his son after all. I actually showed my mom after breakfast the parts of this episode where Delia interacts with Ash, and she recognized that Ash has the same parents as I do. My mom gave me a big, warm hug afterwards. I’m tearing up as I write this. Ash Ketchum feels too real to me. I’m glad that this episode exists.

Never disliked Yuya’s score for JN nor its implementation for the most part I thought it was a overall solid ost (if I didn’t I wouldn’t have bought both CD releases)

My problem is similar to BW in that all previous OST that came before was severely limited for no reason and stuff got repetitive hearing the same tracks over and over, the anime in general treats Shinji’s compositions with way less care than I’d like (no official ost releases since Gen IV totally awesome btw) so seeing it in full force again in this special was very pleasant, I don’t think people would even have it against the Yuya stuff so much if they simply interspersed Shinji’s work in more often. I only recall most of it during the Alola and Kalos reunions.

Anyway good episode, not “better than all of JN” tier at all but it’s a fun isolated story with a great art style and engaging classic Pokémon anime plot.

I think this was a wholesome episode, although the "emotional" aspect is a bit lacking, in my opinion. What I truly enjoyed is the background art style being a mix of original series' and the modern era styles. I am always a sucker for the pre-digital coloration art style, especially of Pokémon and some Ghibli movies. So it was already a blast to my eyes.

I am not entirely sure in which timeline this episode takes place, but definitely not the regular show that we know of. Ash references to Primeape that stole his hat as a Mankey, which did not take place in the movie universe either, so maybe this episode is on its own continuity alone?

The father bit was extremely unnecessary if it was not supposed to reveal anything and just be teased that way.

I have always been indifferent towards Delia, but she is just so matronly that I can't help but love her here. Feeding Team Rocket the croquettes that she cooked because they seemed hungry is just what a mother would do.

I am not entirely sure in which timeline this episode takes place, but definitely not the regular show that we know of. Ash references to Primeape that stole his hat as a Mankey, which did not take place in the movie universe either, so maybe this episode is on its own continuity alone?
It could easily have had happened off-screen in the movie continuity (assuming those share one single canon in the first place). Even so, it was an unecessary reference IMO, it just complicates things without much to gain from it.

Haven't posted here in a while but I had to come back and talk about this episode. It was beautiful! I strongly believe the story was meant to be an allegory for the series itself, how all of us at one point took this series for granted regardless of how long we've been keeping up with it. I'm a Gen 1 guy so I definitely had my frustrations with the series from time to time but ultimately it's still one of my all time favorite anime and I'm really going to miss it. That said though I'm still looking forward to the new show and I hope it brings just as many happy memories to it's new viewers as the show has for me.

Without a doubt the best Pokemon episode since the end of sinnoh. I loved the focus on Miyazaki's score. No offence to the new composer, but he doesn't hold a candle to Miyazaki. I also loved the sense of exploration in this episode. It took me back to the begining of the series where every episode felt like a sense of adventure, rather than a weekly episode with some sort of story to it. I believe Pokemon is at its strongest when they use the exploration do the storytelling, and today's episode proved it.

If this does truly take place in the same continuity of M20, how do Satoshi and the Rocket trio know each other? If I remember correctly the Rockets noticed Pikachu in that film, but Satoshi never met them.

I don’t fault this special for not explaining that, though it does seem to go down the path of “if it happened in the original series and doesn’t outright contradict M20, it probably happened in a similar way”. I imagine there was a similar confrontation at some Pokémon Center, just without Kasumi.

It really does just remind me of how lame that movie was though lol

After letting my opinion bake in the oven some more, I would say this is within my top five favorite episodes of all time. The story feels way too real to me, it tells strong messages about appreciating what you have and how kindness can go a long way, the animation, artstyle, and music is among the best, and it made me remember why I love Ash Ketchum in the first place.

This episode was more enjoyable for me than even Ash vs. Leon was. Ash vs. Leon shows us everything Ash went through; Ash met so many Pokémon, so many people, and became the World Champion. But it doesn’t really tell us much about who he is, just that he wants to win. In comparison, this episode showcases Ash’s personality and desire to live perfectly, and a battle wasn’t required for that. Considering some of my other favorite episodes this year were also heavily narrative focused with little battling featured (JN105 and JN111), maybe it’s a sign that I’m at a point in my life where I just seek heartfelt stories above anything else. The Distant Blue Sky is one of the best stories ever told in Pokémon, and that’s why I rank it in my top five.

Also, for those of you who are disappointed that we didn’t learn who Ash’s father was, you have a right to feel that way and I don’t blame you. However, as someone who has a dad that’s never there for me in real life, I can confidently say that you don’t need a dad to be there for you to become an amazing person. Ash embodied that in this episode. At this point, I would actually be happier not knowing who Ash’s dad is. Ash’s dad clearly was never a factor in Ash’s success, and it’s Ash’s dad’s loss that he choose to not be there for him. It seems like Ash doesn’t hold any grudges against his dad either, which applies for me as well, since I still love my dad despite all of this. Essentially, it’s complicated, but the role Ash’s dad played in this episode felt too real to me. It honestly inspires me that I can make it big like Ash did.

I could have done with less showing of the same Kanto Pokemon we've seen during the last 136 episodes and more bonding between Ash and Haruto, but it's still a great episode. The art was a very calm blend of XY and JN, the music was amazing and I liked how we got some (arguably non-canon) details on Ash's hat. It was nice to have an "Ash discovers something surprising that broads his view on the Pokemon world" episodes we've not seen in a long time.

The ghost kid reminds me of Allister's Twilight Wings episode. In fact, narration-wise, this was plotted pretty similar to Twilight Wings episodes.

So in general I realy liked it. Ghosting with a pinch of curse there wasn't it? When Ash cried it was real emotional. The fact Ash almost saw his dad was surprising. And The end of it all was realy something.
Haruto being a ghost is shocking.
Love hearing XY music.
Special episode or preview on January 6th?
We saw Gengars before so for me(!) it was obvious and it took me straight away to that Gastly episode with the girl waiting for her guy stuff.
This takes place during movie 20. The episode ends with Ash heading off to chase the Entei that appeared near the start of that movie.
Catched me too, Wasn't expecting it.. maybe they even put by that the Movie 20 after the M8 who knows the timeline with them movies sometimes..

For what it was, it's a nice coda to the AU Ash since the movie release schedule got so reduced (three films over two generations worth of anime seasons, when it's normally a film for each year). A mix of old, with the Haruto ghost thing feeling like the original series in how the rules were looser as the writing team worked out what existed in the canon of the anime episodes or being chased by Beedrill (classic Ash in both it's OS and such an Ash thing to do), and some later as well with Aura not only making an appearance but Ash intentionally using his latent aura abilities to physically reach out to Haruto.

It's on brand for the AU to reference Ash's father, since this happened in Secrets of the Jungle but this time since the reference is for after the divergence point it's not relevant to the main anime continuity unlike SotJ (which ties in his father to his motivations).

I picked up from the moment Ash and Haruto arrived at the house that Haruto was a ghost, since Haruto's name was not mentioned (as it would have given away the twist early) and Haruto didn't make physical contact with anyone. Tori from the Deoxys movie also wasn't able to touch a pokemon but he had a trauma from the film's prologue whereas Haruto didn't give a reason. In hindsight the stones with the Gengar etchings could have been foreshadowing since no ghost types appeared but we did meet a ghost.

I find it hilarious that Ash went around a forest declaring he wanted to touch anyone he met. In context it's the wild pokemon but out of context...

Also, for those of you who are disappointed that we didn’t learn who Ash’s father was, you have a right to feel that way and I don’t blame you. However, as someone who has a dad that’s never there for me in real life, I can confidently say that you don’t need a dad to be there for you to become an amazing person. Ash embodied that in this episode. At this point, I would actually be happier not knowing who Ash’s dad is. Ash’s dad clearly was never a factor in Ash’s success, and it’s Ash’s dad’s loss that he choose to not be there for him. It seems like Ash doesn’t hold any grudges against his dad either, which applies for me as well, since I still love my dad despite all of this. Essentially, it’s complicated, but the role Ash’s dad played in this episode felt too real to me. It honestly inspires me that I can make it big like Ash did.

That's cool. I think my take on it is that especially with a show that often plays fast and loose with realism, it feels like writers will only play the realism card more than convenience* than for realism or art sake.

Like in this case, done for a good story, or fear of nothing living up to hype. I mean it can work more for a short narrative, but arguably striving to keep mum on an absent parent to a story this long, is a reason such hype exists. Basically if they showcased his father say back in the 90s and info on him, I think Ash's father would be discussed and speculated less for better or worse.

*Like favorite pairing, preferred career choice and so on. Well a good story does involve yes being unpleasant or annoying the audience, but sometimes that means moments which are uncomfortable for the writer themselves.

Yet when writers are vocal about being realistic, how often do they concede that they experience the same sadness and pain as the fan base does?

In Jns ep 140 / Aim to be pokemon master ep 4 we saw at the very start Ash told the gang about meeting with Gyarados. It makes this special episode important, cause it is connected to everything, even though it is kind of a standalone. It makes us wonder about the anime and the pokeworld and the connection between the movies/Jns. Ash's abnormal use of aura making a kid ghost happier ending.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom