• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Johto Open Battle Competition (Battle Spot)

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
ChbiW8KWwAECWOf.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: May 19th 2016 - May 26th 2016
Battle Period: May 27th 2016 - May 29th 2016
Battle Type: Single Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex #001-#251.
Banned Pokémon:Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Entry Gift: To Be Announced

Single battle competition using the Kanto and Johto Pokemon (excluding Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh and Celebi). No Mega stones. Should be interesting.

A list of all fully evolved (in the competition) + some Eviolite options and whatever. Obviously anything from Kanto/Johto that isn't banned is fair game though.
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Beedrill
Butterfree
Pidgeot
Fearow
Raticate
Raichu
Arbok
Sandslash
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Clefable
Ninetales
Wigglytuff
Vileplume
Parasect
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Persian
Golduck
Primeape
Arcanine
Poliwrath
Alakazam
Machamp
Victreebel
Tentacruel
Golem
Rapidash
Slowbro
Magneton
Farfetch'd
Dodrio
Dewgong
Muk
Cloyster
Gengar
Hypno
Kingler
Electrode
Exeggutor
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Lickitung
Weezing
Rhydon
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Seaking
Starmie
Mr Mime
Scyther
Jynx
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Omastar
Kabutops
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Dragonite
Meganium
Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Furret
Noctowl
Ledian
Ariados
Crobat
Lanturn
Togetic
Xatu
Ampharos
Bellossom
Azumarill
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Jumpluff
Aipom
Sunflora
Yanma
Quagsire
Espeon
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Misdreavus
Unown
Wobbuffet
Girafarig
Forretress
Dunsparce
Gligar
Steelix
Granbull
Qwilfish
Shuckle
Heracross
Sneasel
Ursaring
Magcargo
Piloswine
Corsola
Octillery
Delibird
Mantine
Skarmory
Houndoom
Kingdra
Donphan
Porygon2
Stantler
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Miltank
Blissey
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Tyranitar

So far I'm thinking that I really want to use Tangela or Piloswine so I might try and figure out something fun involving either of those! :p

This should be interesting... Although I sense Eviolite Porygon2 is going to be fairly prominent. :/

One Eviolite idea I once tried at the Maison was Togetic - With serene grace and max defences, I would spam Flamethrower and Water Pulse for status effects, then Roost for healing. I forgot the other move I had on it, though.

Sorry if this question may seem stupid, this is to be played in Battle Spot format, right?

Sorry if this question may seem stupid, this is to be played in Battle Spot format, right?

Uhh. If you mean what format the tournament is played in, it's in singles, bring 6 to the tournament, use 3 per match. It is a Battle Spot tournament, more information on it here.

Battle with Treasured Pokémon in the Johto Classic! | Pokemon.com

So has anyone put together any teams for this yet?

I got this so far, haven't tested it much yet as I'm still waiting for my games to get to me after moving a few weeks back, but I will be putting this together as soon as I get them (that should be today).

1. Raikou
Nature: Timid
Ability: Pressure
Item: Choice Specs/Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Defense
Moveset:
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Shadow Ball

2. Clefable
Nature: Calm
Ability: Magic Guard
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 172 Defense, 84 Sp. Defense
Moveset:
-Moonblast
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock
-Soft-Boiled

3. Dragonite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Multiscale
Item: Choice Band
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
-Outrage
-Extreme Speed
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch

4. Gengar
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moveset:
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Will-O-Wisp
-Destiny Bond

5. Porygon2
Nature: Calm
Ability: Trace
Item: Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP, 200 Defense, 56 Sp. Defense
Moveset:
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Toxic

6. Tyranitar
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moveset:
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Superpower
-Ice Punch

I've got a few other options but this is what I have so far.

Last edited:
@EmpoleonProd Are non-pentagon Pokemon allowed for this? I wasn't sure, the rules Serebii posted didn't seem to mention it. But Softboiled Clefable is only from Gen III so won't be allowed if the pentagon restriction is in effect here.

Also I'm not sure that using a Smogon suggested EV spread for Clefable is the best for this - they are made for a completely different metagame. According to its analysis Calm + those specific Sp.Def EVs is to help against Kyurem-Black, Thundurus, Mega Diancie and Mega Manectric none of which are allowed in this competition. Plus the transition to level 50 often causes attacks to do slightly more damage, requiring EVs to be tweaked a bit more in some cases.

I mean it's up to you, if you've found it ok then that's your preference of course :p

----

Anyway, what I actually came to say is that the prize for this has been announced as a Miltank based on Whitney's Miltank from Gen II! It's level 20 with Scrappy and know the moves Rollout, Attract, Stomp and Milk Drink! Pretty cool.

@EmpoleonProd Are non-pentagon Pokemon allowed for this? I wasn't sure, the rules Serebii posted didn't seem to mention it. But Softboiled Clefable is only from Gen III so won't be allowed if the pentagon restriction is in effect here.

Also I'm not sure that using a Smogon suggested EV spread for Clefable is the best for this - they are made for a completely different metagame. According to its analysis Calm + those specific Sp.Def EVs is to help against Kyurem-Black, Thundurus, Mega Diancie and Mega Manectric none of which are allowed in this competition. Plus the transition to level 50 often causes attacks to do slightly more damage, requiring EVs to be tweaked a bit more in some cases.

I mean it's up to you, if you've found it ok then that's your preference of course :p

----

Anyway, what I actually came to say is that the prize for this has been announced as a Miltank based on Whitney's Miltank from Gen II! It's level 20 with Scrappy and know the moves Rollout, Attract, Stomp and Milk Drink! Pretty cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Kanto/Johto Classics allow non-penta Pokemon. And yeah I know it's not perfect, it's just something I threw together to test with, I realize I'm probably going to make lots of changes along the way but thanks for the input :)

Here it is from the global link page:
All battles will be played in Pokémon Omega Rubyand Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You may bring in Pokémon from earlier games via Poké Transporter. All Pokémon above Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match.

So you are good.

Alright well my team is done and locked in, I ended up replacing Clefable and Porygon2 with Azumarill and a secret Pokemon that I don't want to spoil too much. :p

I'm just going to enter this using three Pokémon I've already bred previously (Venusaur, Ninetales and Steelix) and see how far I get, as usual with these competitions. I mostly just do them for fun and I do hate breeding, so yeah :p

And yes, I'm going to use the same three with every battle. Having to choose from six every time only makes me make the wrong choices all the time. So I always just make a team based on how many Pokémon you're actually allowed to use during the battle and fill the rest of the team with Pokémon that will probably be used a lot, so people'll think I'm using those ;)

I'm just going to enter this using three Pokémon I've already bred previously (Venusaur, Ninetales and Steelix) and see how far I get, as usual with these competitions. I mostly just do them for fun and I do hate breeding, so yeah :p

And yes, I'm going to use the same three with every battle. Having to choose from six every time only makes me make the wrong choices all the time. So I always just make a team based on how many Pokémon you're actually allowed to use during the battle and fill the rest of the team with Pokémon that will probably be used a lot, so people'll think I'm using those ;)

Haha that's what I do too. I really only need three pokemon for this competition (which I'll keep undisclosed until it's over ;)). So the rest of my team is just checks to the Pokemon that check my main three, making my opponents think twice about bringing them.

Was going to use a Sneasel for this but I haven't got enough time to breed one before registration closes which is disappointing (I've been distracted playing Fire Emblem, Uncharted 4 and other stuff I'm dumb). I think I'll just chuck together a bunch of six that I find amusing, I don't expect to do well at all but whatever.

@Zeb you don't register your team during registration, you can only register the Battle Box when the competition has begun, so you still have until friday ;)

I hadn't thought of using a Sneasel actually. It is the pre-evo of my fav and I have too much time on my hands atm, so maybe I'll do a last minute change to my team and breed one...

@Zeb you don't register your team during registration, you can only register the Battle Box when the competition has begun, so you still have until friday ;)

I hadn't thought of using a Sneasel actually. It is the pre-evo of my fav and I have too much time on my hands atm, so maybe I'll do a last minute change to my team and breed one...

Oh until Friday? That's good, I might be able to get it done in time. I haven't entered one of these competitions since last year so I'm kinda rusty on how the registering works tbh. I remember entering the one for the HA Tyrunt and that's it. :C

And yeah, I'm mostly wanting to use Sneasel since its stats (95 Atk and base 115 Speed) aren't that bad when compared to most Gen I/II mons and the later power creep is taken out. Dark/Ice STAB is pretty cool. It has Knock Off, priority in Ice Shard plus other things like Swords Dance or Poison Jab or Pursuit to catch people not expecting them. I think Focus Sash might be best for it.

I don't think it would be super good but with the amount of Gen IV evolutions not allowed to be used I really want to use some of the preevolutions (was considering Piloswine or Tangela at first) just for the heck of it since they don't get much chance to shine with their evolutions around.

That is correct. I can't wait! Got my team locked in as well and have been testing it heavily on PS. Gen II is and maybe always will be my favorite gen.

So how did everyone do? My day 1 is done, I was doing so good to start with, my secret weapon was widely successful. I peaked at 10-2 and lost the last 3 for the day unfortunately, :(, I'm just under a 1600 rating (I actually didn't catch the final number and can't check it now, probably 1570-1580). So overall I was 10-5, so, eh, not the best but certainly not the worst. I had some of the most amazing, trollish battles. Of the 7 times I used my gimmick Pokemon, I won 5 of those battles so personally it did very well for me. The other 8 times I didn't use it, I lost 3 times so I guess my gimmick is working out for me.

Edit: The last three battles I actually didn't use my gimmick Pokemon because I got scared it would start failing on me... So I lost three in a row xD

Last edited:
My day is doing good so far, I had a pretty funny battle a few minutes ago after a battle with a timer staller. If anyone wants to see it, here it is. ;) 2BKG-WWWW-WW45-QFU7

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom