• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Johto Open Battle Competition (Battle Spot)

Here you guys go, since battle boxes are locked I guess I can reveal what my "gimmick" is. It's a Smeargle, and this is a Smeargle mirror match: M9SW-WWWW-WW45-QY6N.

When I saw they had a Smeargle too, something inside me told me this mirror match was destined to happen to decide who's Smeargle was the better Smeargle and that we were both going to settle this by leading with Smeargle, and their Smeargle had a most interesting moveset, I was honestly mindblown by this whole battle and it was basically luck draw after luck draw with it. We also were max invested positive speed nature so we speed tied everything. I should say ahead of time that I have Bright Powder on mine.

You can't watch the video?

For the record, I was able to watch it, nice battle! :p

Unfortunately I had a few very stupid losses on my part where I should've made better decisions but I'm not exactly a competitive battling veteran (this is actually my first Battle Spot tournament :p), anyways, I feel like I should've gone 12-3 but two battles were misplayed on my part and ended up going 10-5 because of it.

Edit: The last three battles I actually didn't use my gimmick Pokemon because I got scared it would start failing on me... So I lost three in a row xD

This is exactly why I just choose three Pokémon and stick with them, so losing is never the fault of me choosing the wrong Pokémon :p

I did quite badly though, got 7/8. Two of those wins were cheap too, someone forfeited and another one only send out a low leveled shiny Eevee, Espeon and Umbreon. Probably just participating to show off their shinies? Some people really have nothing better to do it seems...

Pokémon I've seen the most so far: Suicine, Raikou, Entei, Dragonite and Venusaur, as expected. I'd forgotten about Heracross though, which obliterated me both times I've seen one ^^; Next to that the teams are quite diverse, which is nice.

Also learned that Weezing's German name is Smogmog, which is hilarious.

Not sure if I'm gonna keep participating in the next two days. I've got quite a busy weekend coming up and these 3v3 battles always take so damn long. Did enough for the Miltank and it's clear I'm not getting anywhere near high ranking, so yeah :p I really hope they do 1v1 battles more often, they're nice and quick.

Sadly every time I go online to receive to a Player ID, it just sits there for hours and I've never managed to get one? The same thing happened with XY, and it still won't work for ORAS... I battle online all the time, using the PSS and Battle spot, anyone know why I just can't receive an ID? I'd love to battle in these competitions...

Sadly every time I go online to receive to a Player ID, it just sits there for hours and I've never managed to get one? The same thing happened with XY, and it still won't work for ORAS... I battle online all the time, using the PSS and Battle spot, anyone know why I just can't receive an ID? I'd love to battle in these competitions...

Did you register yourself for the competition at Pokémon Global Link first? And did you try to receive the Player ID during the registration period or when the competition had already started? Cause I think you can only get it during the registration period, but I'm not sure.

Did you register yourself for the competition at Pokémon Global Link first? And did you try to receive the Player ID during the registration period or when the competition had already started? Cause I think you can only get it during the registration period, but I'm not sure.

All my games are registered on the GL, do I have to do something specific to register them for competitions though?

I have on multiple occasions tried to receive a Player ID during the registration period but it just sits there loading saying it's being received but it never does anything else...

Pokémon I've seen the most so far: Suicine, Raikou, Entei, Dragonite and Venusaur, as expected. I'd forgotten about Heracross though, which obliterated me both times I've seen one ^^; Next to that the teams are quite diverse, which is nice.

I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't seen any Raikou personally because I'm using one, Dragonite and Tyranitar are the two I've expected to see the most, hence I have both but don't actually use them as often as others, I tracked my usage and which Pokemon net me the most KOs and Azumarill tops my list with 14 KOs, Raikou at 9, Dragonite and Gengar at 5, Tyranitar at 2 and Smeargle at 1 (Spiky Shield on a red barred Feraligatr was his only KO which was very amusing).

I saw all sorts of diverse Pokemon 1 or 2 times, like Cloyster, Snorlax, Blissey, Chansey, Ampharos, Feraligatr, etc.

The ones I saw the most of were:

Crobat: 4
Scizor: 3
Tyranitar: 3

I can easily say Azumarill has been the MVP so far, Smeargle is a nice gimmick when it works and I don't typically lead him if it looks like there's something that can out speed him because he has to get that first Minimize off, in battles where I don't use him and baton pass into Raikou or Gengar, Azumarill has always been the MVP thanks to good switch ins and his diverse movepool.

Last edited:
All my games are registered on the GL, do I have to do something specific to register them for competitions though?

I have on multiple occasions tried to receive a Player ID during the registration period but it just sits there loading saying it's being received but it never does anything else...

Yes, with every competition you have to register for that specific competition. When the registration period begins, you can log in on GL and go to the Online Competitions tab on the left and there you'll see competitions that you can register for. Register for a competition and then the website will tell you to download your Player ID. You have to download your Player ID again with every competition.

Man my day two was terrible! To start off I lost 6 in a row and it was to some of the stupidest rng crap. I lost to a Hydro Cannon Blastoise... because it crit. I won after that, lost a few more, and won a bunch at the end after getting down in the 1400s. Today I went 6-9, overall I'm 16-14 thanks to me doing much better yesterday... My goal was to finish 30-15 and maintain a win ratio of 2:1, something I had followed yesterday, finishing with 10-5. My rating is at least back up into the 1500s, at about a 1520. I'll essentially have to win every match tomorrow to get 2:1, which is probably impossible so, eh, whatever, I'm more a doubles kinda player anyways. :p

This should be interesting... Although I sense Eviolite Porygon2 is going to be fairly prominent. :/

You sure were right about Porygon2, I lost badly because of one early on today, so when I saw one again later I led with Gengar and took it down with Destiny Bond, after that I sweeped the team easily with Dragonite.

I'm doing better today then I was yesterday and is getting close to 1600. I noticed that in almost every single battle, I have Skarmory come up first to set up the stealth rocks and three layers of spikes and whirl wind the opposing Pokemon in and out, and Lanturn can be switched in if I know that there's an electric type attack coming to Skarmory. Politoad is for rain, Umbreon for toxic stalling and using wish to help a team member, Espeon for light screen and sweep after set up, and Blissey for heal bell and help taking other Pokemon out.

Yes, with every competition you have to register for that specific competition. When the registration period begins, you can log in on GL and go to the Online Competitions tab on the left and there you'll see competitions that you can register for. Register for a competition and then the website will tell you to download your Player ID. You have to download your Player ID again with every competition.

Thank you :)

Man today was great to me. Despite some of the frustrations of toxic stallers and other annoying infinite loop-type shenanigans (the main reason I greatly despise singles), I went 11-4 today, 6-9 yesterday, and 10-5 on day 1, for a total of... 27-18 which, despite yesterday's HUGE setback (of mainly losing to hax like 10% chances all around), I still almost met my goal of finishing 30-15 and having a 2:1 win ratio and I also got back well into the 1600s, I was 1630 before my last battle so I'm probably 1640-1650. Fun tournament, can't wait for a doubles tournament because I still hate singles.

My goal was to finish 30-15 and maintain a win ratio of 2:1, something I had followed yesterday, finishing with 10-5. My rating is at least back up into the 1500s, at about a 1520. I'll essentially have to win every match tomorrow to get 2:1, which is probably impossible so, eh, whatever, I'm more a doubles kinda player anyways. :p

Well, despite me calling it impossible, I almost damn did it.

That moment when you're in the upper mid 1500s and some 1400 person wins the battle and making you lose......

I only got to participate the first day, work made it hard for the other two. I went 11-4 on day one though! Used a Feraligatr, Hitmonlee and Nidoking. I usually led with Nidoking (Modest with max HP and SpA investment), then Feraligatr (Adamant, Life Orb, Sheer Force, Dragon Dancer) then cleaned up with a Fake Out Unburden Hitmonlee holding a Normal Gem. I hope everyone else had a great time, I love these region specific battles.

The rankings are up! How did everyone do? :)

Especially wondering how @Zeb did with his Sneasel (if you still had time to breed it) ;)

The rankings are up! How did everyone do? :)

Especially wondering how @Zeb did with his Sneasel (if you still had time to breed it) ;)

Didn't end up entering as per usual :x I just get distracted too easily.

Hope you all had fun though!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom