• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Johto Pokémon in Sinnoh

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
Okay, we've been seeing many Johto Pokémon and captures in Sinnoh. Me and JB88 have been discussing this in PM all morning.

Assuming Johto remakes are coming, what do you want to see? I really want to see Ash use Cyndaquil or Totodile some more in the Johto Filler Saga, and for the longest time I thought Dawn may catch a Chikorita. Yes, I know May also caught the Grass-type, but Chikorita and Dawn suit each other so much...

So, let's discuss.

Typhlosion didn't even get a filler during Johto, and that's a real bummer. So, I'm hoping for ash using cyndaquil and at least evolve it all the way. That's all i require, really.

Let's look at the facts here:

When Ash returned to Kanto, did he dump his Hoenn Pokemon in favor of his Kanto Pokemon? No. He took Grovyle, Swellow and Corphish (the big AG trio) with him into Kanto and brought back Phanpy who evolved into Donphan. We did see Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Snorlax and Tauros return for battles in the season, but they didn't stay as part of his roster.

Look at his Sinnoh team, he has a full team of 6. Why in the world would he dump Buizel or Chimchar for his old Totodile or Cyndaquil? That makes virtually no sense.

I also find it wierd that some of you guys think the writers like his Johto team. His Johto lineup is the only team that did NOT get a goodbye. The writers dumped them all in one swell swoop and they became the laughing stock of Ash's lineup. Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard all got memorable goodbye eps when they left the cast, and his AG Pokemon all had a goodbye scene in the last episode of Battle Frontier before Ash headed off to Sinnoh. What did his Johto team get? NOTHING. They didn't even get a sendoff, he kinda dumped them at Oaks and was done with them.

And why didn't they show up in Battle Frontier? It was Ash's Kanto and AG Pokemon that took out the Frontier Brains together, along with Heracross and Donphan, while the Johto starters and Noctowl continued to rot at Oaks and fade away into obscurity. The writers probably felt they didn't have the popularity or the strength to hang out with the big boys on his Kanto and AG team.

The Johto lineup has been completely forgotten in comparison, and even if we do get G/S remakes, there's no guarentee we're going to head back to Johto or any old starters will return to the team. These Pokemon have been blatantly ignored by the writers since the end of Johto, which was almost 300 episodes ago, and it seems to me the writers are content with letting them rot there for the rest of the series.

Weren't people also suggesting that the writers were learning from past mistakes though. I can see Ash deciding his Johto Saga Pokemon need more training, so he puts them in his roster in order to concentrate on them.

If Ash returned to Johto, I'd expect to see him use a good blend of Johto and Sinnoh Pokémon (just like in the Battle Frontier saga), ignoring his Kanto and Hoenn teams for the most part.

Oh, and Charizard will appear. Maybe even twice. There's no way we can avoid an opportunity for Ash to use Charizard again. >>

Battle Frontier took place in Kanto and was a part of AG, which may explain why the Johto Pokemon were ignored.

I agree with XD375 in that regard. If Ash returned to Johto, I wouldn't expect the Hoenn and Kanto Pokemon around much.

Battle Frontier took place in Kanto and was a part of AG, which may explain why the Johto Pokemon were ignored.

Being part of AG certainly didn't prevent Heracross and Donphan from being used again though.

The starters and Noctowl were totally ignored. Bayleef is actually one of my favorites so I do feel bad if its never used again, but I have to be realistic here. As D/P goes on Turtwig is likely to evolve, and between it and the powerhouses that are Bulbasaur and Sceptile....it sadly leaves little room for poor Bayleef.

The other starters suffer similar fates, his D/P team is going to get stronger and between that, the glorified Kanto trio, and the AG Pokemon...it leaves little room for the Johto team.

I think if any Johto starters will be on the cast, it will probably be Dawn getting a Chikorita like many people predict.

Chikorita would master Energy Ball in an instant and rip-off Buizel.

After it slays Nando's Kricketune instantly and parades over its limp body.

Well, i would love to see a return of the Johto starters, or noctowl, unfortunately i fear scott85 is right, ash's sinnoh team are only getting stronger, and with their development needing attention, i dont hink we'll be seeing them soon. I do however think there will be a filler saga, if not in johto, then maybe the sevii islands (unlikely) or even somewher crazy like orre. Im not sure where, but there will be one, and i think we may see a return of a few old favourates there. If the GS remake rumor is true also, expect to see many appearances, and perhaps even a new "untold" johto movie, perhaps?

Sceptile and Bayleef mate and produce a Chikorita with Leaf Blade and Ash ends up taking Chikorita with him to Johto...

Or gives the baby Chikorita to Dawn, which makes more sense. Dawn wouldn't get a Totodile since she has Piplup, but she could possibly get a Cyndaquil or Chikorita.

Of course this is actually assuming the writers would even give Dawn a Johto starter, and even that is just speculation. They could go totally random and give Dawn an obscure Johto Pokemon like Ash got Aipom and Gligar.

King K. Rool said:
Chikorita would master Energy Ball in an instant and rip-off Buizel.

*gasps* Oh the horror! :D

After it slays Nando's Kricketune instantly and parades over its limp body.

Yes!! Down with Nando!

Scott85 said:
Of course this is actually assuming the writers would even give Dawn a Johto starter, and even that is just speculation. They could go totally random and give Dawn an obscure Johto Pokemon like Ash got Aipom and Gligar.

Or in the end, go to Hoenn and totally screw us over.

Or gives the baby Chikorita to Dawn, which makes more sense. Dawn wouldn't get a Totodile since she has Piplup, but she could possibly get a Cyndaquil or Chikorita.

So how many obscure Johto Pokemon are left? Not Bellossom, that's more likely for Nando than anyone else...

Or in the end, go to Hoenn and totally screw us over.

Hoenn? This soon? Likelyhood is it's either Johto or somewhere anime only (like the Orange Islands were).

So how many obscure Johto Pokemon are left? Not Bellossom, that's more likely for Nando than anyone else...

Teddiursa. Its a cute Pokemon that surprisingly has never had much screentime. It would fit her well.

If they are indeed going to make a filler saga it's going to have be Johto. I mean, why the Orange Island again? Wtf was there, excuse my language. Marrill? The all might Crystal Onix........give me a break.

^ There could very well be no filler saga this time. Its all random speculation.

What about Paul's Ursaring?

How about Dunsparce?

I forgot about that, but Dawn having a Teddiursa while Paul has Ursaring isn't too bad, I wouldn't expect Teddiursa to evolve.

Dunsparce is a neat choice, but it probably isn't marketable enough.

Dunsparce is a neat choice, but it probably isn't marketable enough.
They really need to do something with Dunsparce in Gen V, like give it an evolution or something.

Anyways, while I would like to see Noctowl return, and maybe bring back Cyndaquil, I really doubt we'll see it happening anytime soon, if ever at all. Personally, I'm hoping that if they actually do have Ash win the Sinnoh League and battle the Elite Four and Cynthia, that they'll finally retire him from the show, and start up with a new main character.

I doubt there will be a filler saga, seems to me they are going slow enough. As Scott85 already said, 70 episodes only 3rd gym? If they continue at that rate they won't have to make filler.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom