• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Johto Remake Discussion (Johto Confirmed?!)

I don't think that NSO would affect remakes, especially considering it wouldn't be the same as playing through Johto with Gen 9 mechanics (possibly including Terastal). And they might want Gen 10 to come in 2026 for the 30th anniversary so they might have to remake Johto.

It wouldn't be 100% the same, but Johto with Gen 9 mechanics, especially if it's a faithful remake like BDSP, is going to be about 90% the same. Which is enough for NSO to cannibalize sales of a potential remake. Only way we get both GSC on NSO and a new Johto game is if the new game is something wildly different like LA, otherwise there's no business sense in having both.

Hmm, I hadn't actually considered johto remakes have as much precedent to happen soon as unova ones. I don't mind whether ilca handles it or if it's given a treatment like Let's Go, as long as the Pokeathlon is kept in :p

It's that time again, time to begin talking about the next games, I promise you Johto remakes are next up in either 2023 or 2024 if they do SV DLC for 2023. I just hope, with all the complaints Game Freak has been getting with the graphical performance of the recent games, like SwSh, BDSP, LA, and SV, that they realize they have a fine graphical engine with LGPE and that it would be the perfect engine to use for a Johto remake since half the game (the Kanto half) is already done for you. Obviously we wouldn't want the forced GO catching of the candy mechanics, but at least make the game look like LGPE and re-enable abilities, held items, include the original 251 Pokemon + evolutionary relatives this time and not just limit it to the original dex like LGPE did besides the Meltan line. I'd personally like to see Mega Evolutions make appearances in the remakes like they did for ORAS and LGPE, the fact that BDSP didn't even include Megas was a big miss in my opinion, especially when we've seen Cynthia uses Megas in the Alolan games.

My ideal Johto remake would basically be:
-LGPE's Graphical Engine
-SV's Pokemon Models (because they are actually really good)
-Catching mechanics like Legends: Arceus (a hybrid between GO catching and classic catching, you'd have the option whether you want to enter battle and catch like that or just throw Pokeballs like in Legends: Arceus in the overworld)
-Most Standard Main Series Mechanics like EVs/IVs, Held Items, Abilities, modern movesets, basically just copy and paste all that from SV

Just please... anything but another BDSP.

Oh and also please give us Legends: Ho-Oh either as the Johto remake or after the Johto remakes.

Or what if they keep the Legends naming but split it into two games, Legends: Ho-Oh and Legends: Lugia? There's quite a few options.

It's that time again, time to begin talking about the next games, I promise you Johto remakes are next up in either 2023 or 2024 if they do SV DLC for 2023.

Don't be so sure about that, we don't know what's coming next until we see it. There's been numerous instances in the past when a lot of people thought they knew what was coming next and we didn't (a lot of people thought we would get RS remakes after BW2, Z after ORAS, 8th gen after USUM, LG Johto after SwSh).

I just hope, with all the complaints Game Freak has been getting with the graphical performance of the recent games, like SwSh, BDSP, LA, and SV, that they realize they have a fine graphical engine with LGPE and that it would be the perfect engine to use for a Johto remake since half the game (the Kanto half) is already done for you. Obviously we wouldn't want the forced GO catching of the candy mechanics, but at least make the game look like LGPE and re-enable abilities, held items, include the original 251 Pokemon + evolutionary relatives this time and not just limit it to the original dex like LGPE did besides the Meltan line. I'd personally like to see Mega Evolutions make appearances in the remakes like they did for ORAS and LGPE, the fact that BDSP didn't even include Megas was a big miss in my opinion, especially when we've seen Cynthia uses Megas in the Alolan games.

They're probably not going to reuse the LGPE engine. It's practically ancient history by Pokemon standards at this point and I don't think they have any plans to reuse it when there's been better looking games since.

My ideal Johto remake would basically be:
-LGPE's Graphical Engine
-SV's Pokemon Models (because they are actually really good)
-Catching mechanics like Legends: Arceus (a hybrid between GO catching and classic catching, you'd have the option whether you want to enter battle and catch like that or just throw Pokeballs like in Legends: Arceus in the overworld)
-Most Standard Main Series Mechanics like EVs/IVs, Held Items, Abilities, modern movesets, basically just copy and paste all that from SV

Just please... anything but another BDSP.

Unfortunately BDSP-esque remakes are starting to become the norm, ORAS, LGPE, and BDSP were all relatively samey and bare minimum and I think any remake for the foreseeable future is probably going to be along those lines. Or we could get something arguably worse, no remake at all and all we get is the original GSC on NSO (but then if we got a Johto remake it probably wouldn't have Crystal content so depending on your preferences getting Crystal on NSO might actually be better).

Oh and also please give us Legends: Ho-Oh either as the Johto remake or after the Johto remakes.

Or what if they keep the Legends naming but split it into two games, Legends: Ho-Oh and Legends: Lugia? There's quite a few options.

This would probably be our best hope and I could see them splitting it in two. I also don't think we get a Legends game without a samey, BDSP-esque remake or NSO port because they want younger fans to have a frame of reference for the region they're reimagining.

I only care about Legends games. I agree that they would want to at least release ports ahead of that, which they should do for Stadium anyway.

Also, "best looking" is subjective. Not many people would say that BDSP look better than LGPE, and the other games use a different scale.

Don't be so sure about that, we don't know what's coming next until we see it. There's been numerous instances in the past when a lot of people thought they knew what was coming next and we didn't (a lot of people thought we would get RS remakes after BW2, Z after ORAS, 8th gen after USUM, LG Johto after SwSh).
For the record I was one of the only people to correctly predict a second pair of Kanto remakes was going to come after USUM vs. the Sinnoh remakes many were expecting. I'll admit I was on the Z train but there's strong evidence to suggest the game was in develop for a 2015 release but was scrapped so they could instead focus on their 20th anniversary release, Sun and Moon, for a 2016 release. Anyone who said Let's Go Johto after SwSh was simply incorrect, because the last Sinnoh games came out prior to the last Johto games (DP in 2006 vs. HGSS in 2009). Logically speaking, Sinnoh remakes were up next on the remake release schedule once they came out with LGPE, which was the first game featuring Kanto since 2004 with FRLG. The remakes go in literal release order, and WHEN exactly in a generation they come out is certainly up for debate, but WHICH remake is up next is not a debatable. Case in point: LGPE, which I correctly predicted, was the Kanto remake that was up next, since Kanto's last paired games came out after Hoenn's last paired games, being Ruby and Sapphire. If we go by paired release order RS was in 2002, FRLG was in 2004, DP was in 2006, HGSS was in 2009, BW was in 2010. The last two are the important notable ones, history repeated itself with us getting a Kanto game after a Hoenn game (LGPE after ORAS), and once again by getting a Sinnoh game after a Kanto game (BDSP after LGPE). You must see the pattern by now. Johto game immediately after Sinnoh.

Predicting third versions/dual-third versions like USUM/standalone titles like Legends: Arceus are hard to do, but predicting paired remakes? That's the easy part. You might not think I'm right now, but people didn't think I was right 5-6 years ago in 2016-2017 when I swore up and down that Kanto remakes were next and not Sinnoh remakes like everybody thought, but like I said, history has a funny way of repeating itself lol, I think you'll come to see that I'm right. Now in what context we revisit Johto is a little more up for debate, will it be a normal 1:1 remaster just with minor changes like BDSP, will it be spun into a GO-related game like LGPE, could it just become a past version open world RPG like Legends: Arceus? Could they throw us off and do a Crystal remake in the theme of "Terastalization/crystallization"? All of these are possible, the context and setting in which we revisit Johto isn't clear, but the fact that we will revisit Johto is plain as day.
They're probably not going to reuse the LGPE engine. It's practically ancient history by Pokemon standards at this point and I don't think they have any plans to reuse it when there's been better looking games since.
You could be right, I never said it was likely, I said it was something that, in my opinion, would be the most logical step, given recent events and the community response to poor graphical fidelity/performance, it might be safer to go back to "what worked" and I feel like they really captured the fun charming Pokemon aesthetic with Let's Go, I understand that's subjective but my initial statement should've made that obvious. Also, saying there's better looking games... is certainly an opinion lol, but not a very popular one. I'm sorry but if you look at shots of LGPE side-by-side with every game since, LGPE is just leagues more pleasing to look at and the community's overall response with graphical performance suggests that this is a somewhat popular opinion. Whether it's on here, or r/Pokemon, lots of posts about how good LGPE looked graphically. I'm pretty sure the average player of Pokemon games would agree that a game that looks as good as LGPE but with all the modern features and quality of life updates the main series has, as well as as much content stuffed in it, would be damn near the perfect game. If you gave me an LGPE that was as ambitious as PLA or SV try to be content-wise, it would've probably been my favorite Pokemon game ever even if it was just a content-filled Kanto remake, this is literally what made HGSS such a popular game that players to this day place on a pedestal, HGSS to this day is in most people's Top 5 Pokemon games and high up on tier lists etc. was just how much there was in the game, it was a little old school and familiar with it being set in Johto with Pokemon people were familiar to, but it embraced the technological side of Gen 4 perfectly, was fully-compatible with those games with no restrictions, LGPE tried to be a Gen 1 game that looks good but that just created a game that LOOKED ambitious because of how good it looked, but ended up lacking content. All I'm saying with reusing LGPE is they have a good opportunity to appeal to both sides of the coin, people that want the graphics to improve and people who want an abundance of content to indulge, by using a popular graphical engine aka the Let's Go engine, but making the games similar to SV content-wise.
Unfortunately BDSP-esque remakes are starting to become the norm, ORAS, LGPE, and BDSP were all relatively samey and bare minimum and I think any remake for the foreseeable future is probably going to be along those lines. Or we could get something arguably worse, no remake at all and all we get is the original GSC on NSO (but then if we got a Johto remake it probably wouldn't have Crystal content so depending on your preferences getting Crystal on NSO might actually be better).
BDSP is not at all like LGPE and ORAS, ORAS was a fairly ambitious remake on the levels of HGSS, objectively speaking those games had an incredible amount of overall content and really only catch complaints for no Battle Frontier. LGPE was a literal Gen 1 remake that looked like a modern game, and BDSP was a literal Gen 4 remake but they forgot to try on the graphical side. All people want is a game that can do both, content and graphics, and unfortunately, no game has really met that bar yet on the Switch.
This would probably be our best hope and I could see them splitting it in two. I also don't think we get a Legends game without a samey, BDSP-esque remake or NSO port because they want younger fans to have a frame of reference for the region they're reimagining.
I agree with you on this, I feel like a Legends-style game would always be paired with an aforementioned remake release. So if we do, for example, get 1:1 Johto remakes, a Legends game would follow within a year later. Being able to utilize another studio like ILCA is what makes this possible but I feel like BDSP was just a case of ILCA REAAALLY missing the assignment and somehow neither Game Freak or TPCi saw the problem either so all parties involved were ignorant or incompetent. I think what everyone was expecting was a "Sinnoh but Megas" remake like LGPE, using a recent game engine, the best two available at the time would've been the LGPE engine or the SwSh engine and either could've been adapted into a recreation of Sinnoh and the game would've been 10x more successful. BDSP is not a bad game content-wise, it's just that it's the most visually disgusting game and also feels so disconnected from it's release generation. In the past, remakes always could directly interact with some games in their generation and allow people who got the remakes to play with people who maybe hadn't gotten them. I had this happen a lot as a kid, like when I got SoulSilver and was able to battle and trade with my friend on Platinum. This was true from FRLG all the way up to ORAS but this trend stopped with LGPE not being able to communicate directly with any Gen 7 games. I was willing to look the other way that time because the game wasn't trying to be a Gen 7 game even though it is one, it was trying to be a bridge between GO and the main series, and it accomplished that by having Home and GO connectivity, it was also trying to be a Gen 1 game so it could only directly communicate with itself, fair enough. The problem is they completely missed with BDSP, you can tell any attempt at connectivity with a past game wasn't made since it wasn't even on the same engine. Every remake has borrowed the engine from a game within the past few years, FRLG were built on top of RS, HGSS were built on top of DPPl, ORAS was built on top of XY, LGPE's engine looks like an up-res'd ORAS, and SwSh even looks like an up-res'd USUM and even uses the same animations which was a very talked about topic around the time of SwSh's release. For the record I'm not against the reusing of assets if the assets are good. For example, I'll give SV some credit where it's due, the Pokemon models themselves are stunning, they really worked on them and made them look so nice, being able to see incredibly good textures and more vibrant colors is a huge plus, the problem is they focused so much on the Pokemon that the rest of SV looks like trash. If you used the SV models in LGPE's overworld for a Johto remake it would be one of the greatest games in Pokemon history.

For the record I was one of the only people to correctly predict a second pair of Kanto remakes was going to come after USUM vs. the Sinnoh remakes many were expecting. I'll admit I was on the Z train but there's strong evidence to suggest the game was in develop for a 2015 release but was scrapped so they could instead focus on their 20th anniversary release, Sun and Moon, for a 2016 release. Anyone who said Let's Go Johto after SwSh was simply incorrect, because the last Sinnoh games came out prior to the last Johto games (DP in 2006 vs. HGSS in 2009). Logically speaking, Sinnoh remakes were up next on the remake release schedule once they came out with LGPE, which was the first game featuring Kanto since 2004 with FRLG. The remakes go in literal release order, and WHEN exactly in a generation they come out is certainly up for debate, but WHICH remake is up next is not a debatable. Case in point: LGPE, which I correctly predicted, was the Kanto remake that was up next, since Kanto's last paired games came out after Hoenn's last paired games, being Ruby and Sapphire. If we go by paired release order RS was in 2002, FRLG was in 2004, DP was in 2006, HGSS was in 2009, BW was in 2010. The last two are the important notable ones, history repeated itself with us getting a Kanto game after a Hoenn game (LGPE after ORAS), and once again by getting a Sinnoh game after a Kanto game (BDSP after LGPE). You must see the pattern by now. Johto game immediately after Sinnoh.

Predicting third versions/dual-third versions like USUM/standalone titles like Legends: Arceus are hard to do, but predicting paired remakes? That's the easy part. You might not think I'm right now, but people didn't think I was right 5-6 years ago in 2016-2017 when I swore up and down that Kanto remakes were next and not Sinnoh remakes like everybody thought, but like I said, history has a funny way of repeating itself lol, I think you'll come to see that I'm right. Now in what context we revisit Johto is a little more up for debate, will it be a normal 1:1 remaster just with minor changes like BDSP, will it be spun into a GO-related game like LGPE, could it just become a past version open world RPG like Legends: Arceus? Could they throw us off and do a Crystal remake in the theme of "Terastalization/crystallization"? All of these are possible, the context and setting in which we revisit Johto isn't clear, but the fact that we will revisit Johto is plain as day.

Yes, that might make sense, but who said that's what they're doing? You don't know that. There are reasons they may not give Johto another game and give us nothing more than an NSO port or even nothing at all, Kanto is significantly more popular than Johto and the main purpose of LGPE was to build the Switch's install base with Go players, something that is not needed at this point in the Switch's lifespan. Maybe they skip Johto and actually do remake Unova next? Sinnoh and Unova were on the same hardware, so could Sinnoh and Unova's remakes be on the same hardware as well? Either way, to say with 100% confidence that you know for a fact what is next is wrong and there have been many people that have been wrong before. Patterns like the one you're pointing out have been broken, so to speak with such certainty that you know what's next when you're not a Game Freak employee who knows what's next before the public does is extremely arrogant.

You could be right, I never said it was likely, I said it was something that, in my opinion, would be the most logical step, given recent events and the community response to poor graphical fidelity/performance, it might be safer to go back to "what worked" and I feel like they really captured the fun charming Pokemon aesthetic with Let's Go, I understand that's subjective but my initial statement should've made that obvious. Also, saying there's better looking games... is certainly an opinion lol, but not a very popular one. I'm sorry but if you look at shots of LGPE side-by-side with every game since, LGPE is just leagues more pleasing to look at and the community's overall response with graphical performance suggests that this is a somewhat popular opinion. Whether it's on here, or r/Pokemon, lots of posts about how good LGPE looked graphically. I'm pretty sure the average player of Pokemon games would agree that a game that looks as good as LGPE but with all the modern features and quality of life updates the main series has, as well as as much content stuffed in it, would be damn near the perfect game. If you gave me an LGPE that was as ambitious as PLA or SV try to be content-wise, it would've probably been my favorite Pokemon game ever even if it was just a content-filled Kanto remake, this is literally what made HGSS such a popular game that players to this day place on a pedestal, HGSS to this day is in most people's Top 5 Pokemon games and high up on tier lists etc. was just how much there was in the game, it was a little old school and familiar with it being set in Johto with Pokemon people were familiar to, but it embraced the technological side of Gen 4 perfectly, was fully-compatible with those games with no restrictions, LGPE tried to be a Gen 1 game that looks good but that just created a game that LOOKED ambitious because of how good it looked, but ended up lacking content. All I'm saying with reusing LGPE is they have a good opportunity to appeal to both sides of the coin, people that want the graphics to improve and people who want an abundance of content to indulge, by using a popular graphical engine aka the Let's Go engine, but making the games similar to SV content-wise.

Part of the reason why people liked HGSS was because it was practically on par with DPPt in just about every aspect, not just graphics and content. LGPE meanwhile, is behind in far more than just graphics and content, and the areas that it is behind in it can't modernize in the same way HGSS could because GSC and DPPt were far more similar in design than RBY is to games like SM and SwSh.

The region design of the more modern 3D games is far different from what we saw in classic games like RBY and they can't even sniff that with a remake anymore. The older games were far more limited in terms of how they could design the region, the 2D tile based design of the older handhelds was extremely limited compared to the 3D realistic looking open area design of the more modern games, they can't just translate the former to the latter.

Then there's the insistence on largely keeping the regional dexes the same when there's over 5 times as many Pokemon now than there was in RBY, which leads to roster design issues. RBY's original 151 are far too limited and lead to tons of roster design problems. The biggest being that you're unable to form a full team of some of the rarer types like Ghost and Dragon as well as Dark, Steel, and Fairy which were introduced in later games. Which really hampers NPCs like Agatha and Lance or players that want to do monotype runs with those types because their only choice is to spam duplicate species to fill out their teams. You can somewhat make up for it with cross-gen evos and regional variants, but it's not quite enough, nor would throwing in Johto Pokemon. They really need a regional dex more like the massive 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes of the more modern games because that provides the necessary variety for players to form the diverse teams they're looking for. HGSS could get away with not doing this because the original GSC's 251 was a much larger percentage of the 4th gen National Dex and the largest regional dex at the time, but after pretty much every regional dex since BW2 has surpassed this the issue becomes more and more glaring.

Unfortunately, Game Freak is largely uninterested in making changes this major in traditional remakes. They've never given a remake a modern 300+ regional dex and refuse to give the games a beefy dex expansion like what some of the third versions get, instead the most they give us is a handful of cross-gen evos in the regional dex and a full National Dex. They won't overhaul the design to make it feel realistic, grid free, and open area, instead they just do a tile by tile copy/paste job of the original design. I can see why they don't want to do this, they seem to feel it would break the nostalgia if the region design looks completely different or if they throw in Pokemon that weren't in the original, but all the same it hampers the experience. So as long as these restrictions remain, they'll never truly be able to recreate the magic of HGSS with traditional remakes. They'll need something more like a Legends game to do that now, something that isn't afraid to boldly reimagine the region and experience into something more modern (although I wasn't even satisfied with what Legends did to the Hisui Dex because it mainly just threw in variants and its 240ish Pokemon still weren't quite enough to fix the variety issues, but I think future Legends games are free to expand into the 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes that are really needed).

BDSP is not at all like LGPE and ORAS, ORAS was a fairly ambitious remake on the levels of HGSS, objectively speaking those games had an incredible amount of overall content and really only catch complaints for no Battle Frontier. LGPE was a literal Gen 1 remake that looked like a modern game, and BDSP was a literal Gen 4 remake but they forgot to try on the graphical side. All people want is a game that can do both, content and graphics, and unfortunately, no game has really met that bar yet on the Switch.

ORAS had a few neat additions but no, I would put it closer to BDSP and LGPE because that's when the content started to become more minimal. FRLG had an entire mini region added to its post game. HGSS added just about everything it could from Crystal and Platinum and a ton more original stuff too. ORAS had a few gimmicks, but largely ignored Emerald content. It wasn't just the Battle Frontier that was omitted. Most of Emerald's story additions were omitted, such as having both teams be a threat (sure they need the version exclusivity, but do they really have to make the opposite version's team good when they're environmental whackjobs too?), added locations (Magma Hideout, the Safari Zone expansion, Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass, etc.), the Match Call and the gym leader rematches it brought along with it, etc.

The problem is they completely missed with BDSP, you can tell any attempt at connectivity with a past game wasn't made since it wasn't even on the same engine. Every remake has borrowed the engine from a game within the past few years, FRLG were built on top of RS, HGSS were built on top of DPPl, ORAS was built on top of XY, LGPE's engine looks like an up-res'd ORAS, and SwSh even looks like an up-res'd USUM and even uses the same animations which was a very talked about topic around the time of SwSh's release. For the record I'm not against the reusing of assets if the assets are good. For example, I'll give SV some credit where it's due, the Pokemon models themselves are stunning, they really worked on them and made them look so nice, being able to see incredibly good textures and more vibrant colors is a huge plus, the problem is they focused so much on the Pokemon that the rest of SV looks like trash. If you used the SV models in LGPE's overworld for a Johto remake it would be one of the greatest games in Pokemon history.

Graphics don't really work like this, you can't really mix and match the models of SV with the engine of LGPE, it'll clash and the overworld will look bad by comparison. Now if they wanted to attempt to recreate the artstyle of LGPE in higher quality and import SV's models that might be different, but just copy/pasting LGPE's visuals won't work the way you want it.

I personally wouldn't like that though. LGPE's faithful recreation of 1st gen's artstyle and region design makes it feel too dated. I don't want to play a $60 console game where the whole region looks like a 5 year old's LEGO set, I want the realistic, open area design of games like SwSh, LA, and SV (which we won't get in anything short of a Legends game).

Last edited:
Even if they did do NSO ports, that's not stopping them from doing Johto remakes in addition to ports. You may remember that Gen 1 was ported to the 3DS in 2016 but that didn't stop them from literally remaking Yellow into two games in 2018 lol. Johto to some extent is 100% coming, that much I can guarantee you. It's been over 12 years since we had a new Johto release. The longest we've ever gone in between a region's remakes so far is Sinnoh at 15 years (2006-2021) and Kanto at 14 years (2004-2018). Johto is well within the appropriate timeline for a remake, ORAS came 12 years after RS. Also the models SV uses are fundamentally just polished versions of the LGPE models, which they themselves are just ported 3DS models. I don't think you realize just how much they can reuse lol, LGPE's entire engine seems to visually just be an up-res'd ORAS/XY engine and this being possible is supported by the fact that SwSh is confirmed to just be an up-res'd version of the SM/USUM engine, same animations and all. The models are easily plug and play. You can take the new Charizard model and put it in LGPE and it will be just fine, because the SV model probably started as the LGPE model and was worked on from there.
ORAS had a few neat additions but no, I would put it closer to BDSP and LGPE because that's when the content started to become more minimal. FRLG had an entire mini region added to its post game. HGSS added just about everything it could from Crystal and Platinum and a ton more original stuff too. ORAS had a few gimmicks, but largely ignored Emerald content. It wasn't just the Battle Frontier that was omitted. Most of Emerald's story additions were omitted, such as having both teams be a threat (sure they need the version exclusivity, but do they really have to make the opposite version's team good when they're environmental whackjobs too?), added locations (Magma Hideout, the Safari Zone expansion, Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass, etc.), the Match Call and the gym leader rematches it brought along with it, etc.
Not true, ORAS had the whole Rayquaza/Deoxys storyline with the Delta Episode, a ton of lore about Rayquaza as well as Groudon and Kyogre present, both of the evil teams in general just received a lot more personality in ORAS than in RSE where they were basically just mirrored versions of each other and had no real difference in personality. ORAS also introduced the DexNav, one of the best catching features in a game to-date, online secret bases and being able to actually turn your base in your own Gym was really nice, a slightly expanded Hoenn Dex including evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon like Roserade or Froslass to spruce up the regional dex a bit, adding these Pokemon to the teams of key characters too, like how Glacia uses a Froslass now. You even see extra cutscenes like the Steven/Wallace interaction hinting at Wallace taking his seat as he did in Emerald, you can compete in contests against Wallace and a new character who serves as a sort-of contest rival, Lisia, you can catch mentions of Brandon and Lucy, two of the Frontier Brains, as well as Scott and his plan to build the Battle Frontier. It really was unfortunate that it didn't include the Battle Frontier and Gym Leader Rematches, although I personally didn't miss Gym Leader Rematches since they were fundamentally easy to win, rematches are only a good idea if they're hard, either battle facility-style like the PWT in BW2, or just literally make their teams level 100, wish Game Freak would stop being hesitant to make trainers who have all level 100 Pokemon who can actually be a challenge to battle. I only want rematches if they're included in one of those two ways, so if they aren't I don't particularly care for them since I'm always going to have an unfair advantage on them and have to forcefully limit or handicap myself in some way to artificially make it a challenge.

But yeah, Johto isn't getting skipped for Unova, the same way Kanto wasn't skipped for Sinnoh, but you don't need to believe me now. Just don't be surprised if I say "I told you so" in the next year or two lol

Last edited:
Even if they did do NSO ports, that's not stopping them from doing Johto remakes in addition to ports. You may remember that Gen 1 was ported to the 3DS in 2016 but that didn't stop them from literally remaking Yellow into two games in 2018 lol.

The 3DS VC ports and LGPE weren't on the same hardware, so they could sell to different audiences. At best they could only repeat that strategy if Nintendo releases their next gen hardware by 2024, and I'm not even sure that Game Freak would try the same strategy over again because they know now that Go mechanics won't really do much more than anything else in getting mobile gamers to buy Nintendo consoles.

Johto to some extent is 100% coming, that much I can guarantee you. It's been over 12 years since we had a new Johto release. The longest we've ever gone in between a region's remakes so far is Sinnoh at 15 years (2006-2021) and Kanto at 14 years (2004-2018). Johto is well within the appropriate timeline for a remake, ORAS came 12 years after RS.

Again, you're relying too much on patterns, patterns have been broken before and they can be broken again. If you're going to argue that Johto remakes are coming you need business logic that explains why they would continue the pattern.

Not true, ORAS had the whole Rayquaza/Deoxys storyline with the Delta Episode, a ton of lore about Rayquaza as well as Groudon and Kyogre present, both of the evil teams in general just received a lot more personality in ORAS than in RSE where they were basically just mirrored versions of each other and had no real difference in personality. ORAS also introduced the DexNav, one of the best catching features in a game to-date, online secret bases and being able to actually turn your base in your own Gym was really nice, a slightly expanded Hoenn Dex including evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon like Roserade or Froslass to spruce up the regional dex a bit, adding these Pokemon to the teams of key characters too, like how Glacia uses a Froslass now. You even see extra cutscenes like the Steven/Wallace interaction hinting at Wallace taking his seat as he did in Emerald, you can compete in contests against Wallace and a new character who serves as a sort-of contest rival, Lisia, you can catch mentions of Brandon and Lucy, two of the Frontier Brains, as well as Scott and his plan to build the Battle Frontier.

You're missing the entire point. I never said ORAS didn't have anything new. I said it was lacking Emerald content. The Delta Episode, Dexnav, cross gen evos, etc. is not Emerald content, it's original content added to this game. I expected both original content AND Emerald content, not simply one or the other. HGSS had both original content and Crystal content, so this felt like a reasonable expectation going into ORAS.

It really was unfortunate that it didn't include the Battle Frontier and Gym Leader Rematches, although I personally didn't miss Gym Leader Rematches since they were fundamentally easy to win, rematches are only a good idea if they're hard, either battle facility-style like the PWT in BW2, or just literally make their teams level 100, wish Game Freak would stop being hesitant to make trainers who have all level 100 Pokemon who can actually be a challenge to battle. I only want rematches if they're included in one of those two ways, so if they aren't I don't particularly care for them since I'm always going to have an unfair advantage on them and have to forcefully limit or handicap myself in some way to artificially make it a challenge.

It's not just about the extra challenge but getting to see them use different Pokemon and strategies. Post game rosters can open up to a full team of Pokemon and often Pokemon that they might not have had the chance to use (especially if there's a National Dex postgame). I mean look at what the rematch rosters did for some of the Elite 4 like Phoebe and Glacia, their teams are entirely different when they actually have a remotely decent variety of Ghost and Ice types to work with. Similarly in Emerald, you saw gym leaders mix in 1st and 2nd gen National Dex Pokemon in their rosters which completely changed their team dynamic and made for a different experience. For example look at how much Roxanne's team changes from her storyline battle to her final rematch team:

First Battle: Geodude Lv. 12, Geodude Lv. 12, Nosepass Lv. 15
Final Battle: Aerodactyl Lv. 47, Golem Lv. 47, Omastar Lv. 47, Kabutops Lv. 50, Steelix Lv. 50, Nosepass Lv. 52

Those are two completely different battles with completely different team compositions, even putting aside the level difference. Part of the appeal of gym rematches is being able to fight the gym leaders with full teams of their types to see what their teams look like when the training wheels come off.

But yeah, Johto isn't getting skipped for Unova, the same way Kanto wasn't skipped for Sinnoh, but you don't need to believe me now. Just don't be surprised if I say "I told you so" in the next year or two lol

I could very well be. But the point is that you don't know for sure that it's not, so likewise don't be surprised if we get to 2025 and we don't get a full $60 Johto game.

Again, you're relying too much on patterns, patterns have been broken before and they can be broken again. If you're going to argue that Johto remakes are coming you need business logic that explains why they would continue the pattern.
The only "pattern" that was broken was the "third version" release. They've experimented heavily with that release since Gen 5, where they did sequels instead of Grey, Gen 6 had one in development that was possibly going to be split into two games according to leftover data present in Home or Bank that refers to a third and fourth Kalos game, hinting that they had at least considered developing a Z game and possibly were going to split it into two games like how "Stars" was basically split into USUM. Gen 7 obviously did a split third version instead of one unified game, and Gen 8 opted to do DLC instead of a third version. Gen 8 also did a "third version" with PLA, only in the sense that it was the third Sinnoh game of the generation following BDSP. That's really the only pattern that has been broken. The remake pattern from FRLG up to BDSP has not been broken, and I don't feel like it will because why would Game Freak turn down free money? It's much easier to remake an existing game than it is to create a brand new one, you have to storyboard the entire thing, make new Pokemon and character designs, an entirely new region, etc. Remakes are probably 100x easier to develop because you just literally detail-for-detail copy the original game but make it look good and include some fresh content or quality of life changes and boom, a top-selling game made with minimal effort. If you want the business logic for why they'll make a Johto remake, that's the reason. It's close to zero-time development compared to a game like SV and will still sell really well simply because it says Pokemon on the box. Of course this could be said for remaking any old game, if I could personally request the development of a new game or games, I'd ask for the scrapped Pokemon Z to be brought to life on the Switch and give us an actually good Kalos game, and likewise, Delta Emerald be developed to expand on what ORAS gave us, include all the Emerald content on top of ORAS content, and serve as the definitive Hoenn game, but I'm biased since Gen 6 was probably one of my favorite generations despite the issues with XY and ORAS, and I saw a lot of potential in both games go to waste and I'm disappointed Z was scrapped since I was very much looking forward to Z at the time.

My hope is that, with the complaints of BDSP almost entirely lacking Platinum content, as well as the fact that the third version for Kanto got remade with LGPE the second time Kanto got remakes, that Game Freak might actually consider going this route with future remakes and just remake the third version to include all the fan-favorite content and minimize complaints against the franchise. It just feels like they don't really try anymore.

Oh and the Delta Episode should be considered an expansion of Emerald content, it basically replaces the whole "Rayquaza quelling Groudon and Kyogre" cutscene from Emerald but is also 10x better.

I believe that we're very likely going to get another set of Johto remakes after SV. I hope that they are not like BDSP and instead include all kinds of mechanics from the later gens, including Terastal.
There is a pretty interesting route with Terastalization they can go with a Johto remake. Instead of remaking GS or HGSS, instead remake Crystal. There is precedence for remaking the third version the second time around, since the second set of Kanto remakes, LGPE, were really just remakes of Yellow split into two. If they go with Crystal as the remade game, they can tie in Terastalization, which has been equated to Crystallization, so it quite literally fits in theme with the name. There's also the fact that there's a leaked
Suicune Paradox form
in the data for SV, and Suicune was the mascot for Crystal... I think y'all know where I'm going for this. Many times in the past, hints to a remake have been included in the data of the games that come before. Hoenn remakes were heavily speculating to be happening ever since XY's release because Latias and Latios both had all the data for an unobtainable Mega Evolution in those games, their Mega Stones are in the games and function perfectly fine if you hack them in, but they were never officially distributed so those forms are normally unusable and unobtainable in the games. There's even data for extra moves in Zygarde's arsenal present in XY that suggest a Z was in development that likely would've features a fetch quest for the Zygarde cores and cells which was later adapted into SM instead. I wholeheartedly believe that Zygarde fetch quest was meant to be featured in a Z game which we know was in development because of leftover Home/Bank data mentioning a "Kalos 3" and "Kalos 4" game, but it got scrapped so the team could instead focus on developing SM so they shoehorned perfect Zygarde into that game instead.

Last edited:
The only "pattern" that was broken was the "third version" release. They've experimented heavily with that release since Gen 5, where they did sequels instead of Grey, Gen 6 had one in development that was possibly going to be split into two games according to leftover data present in Home or Bank that refers to a third and fourth Kalos game, hinting that they had at least considered developing a Z game and possibly were going to split it into two games like how "Stars" was basically split into USUM. Gen 7 obviously did a split third version instead of one unified game, and Gen 8 opted to do DLC instead of a third version. Gen 8 also did a "third version" with PLA, only in the sense that it was the third Sinnoh game of the generation following BDSP. That's really the only pattern that has been broken.

No, no it isn't, and you're looking at the situation far too broadly. It's not just about whether or not they're actually doing a new generation, remake, or third version but how, when, and which one. There's been varying situations each time that's resulted in deviations from the typical "pattern". For the new generations, are there 1 or 2 per console? Do the generations last 3 or 4 years? That hasn't been the same each time. Third versions you covered, so I won't go over that, but as far as remakes, not every generation has a remake (5th gen did not, it had BW, BW2, and then went straight to 6th gen) and LGPE broke a pattern by jumping to new hardware mid-gen. So you can't really rely on things like this because they can be broken at any time.

The remake pattern from FRLG up to BDSP has not been broken, and I don't feel like it will because why would Game Freak turn down free money? It's much easier to remake an existing game than it is to create a brand new one, you have to storyboard the entire thing, make new Pokemon and character designs, an entirely new region, etc. Remakes are probably 100x easier to develop because you just literally detail-for-detail copy the original game but make it look good and include some fresh content or quality of life changes and boom, a top-selling game made with minimal effort. If you want the business logic for why they'll make a Johto remake, that's the reason. It's close to zero-time development compared to a game like SV and will still sell really well simply because it says Pokemon on the box. Of course this could be said for remaking any old game

This last sentence says it all, that same logic applies for any remake, what I'm asking is what's the business logic in remaking Johto specifically as opposed to something else? I do believe that there will be a remake of some kind in 2024 (2023 is probably SV DLC), I'm just not utterly 100% convinced it's Johto. Johto is great and all, but I don't think it really draws fans in more than any other region and I don't think they're interested in re-remaking everything like they did with LGPE, LGPE had some extra incentives such as Kanto being wildly more popular than any other region and them seeing an opportunity to try and draw in mobile players (which again, I don't think they repeat this because I think they've realized that this doesn't entirely work). There's an argument to be made that they could skip to Unova in 2024, or do something different entirely that none of us are expecting.

My hope is that, with the complaints of BDSP almost entirely lacking Platinum content, as well as the fact that the third version for Kanto got remade with LGPE the second time Kanto got remakes, that Game Freak might actually consider going this route with future remakes and just remake the third version to include all the fan-favorite content and minimize complaints against the franchise. It just feels like they don't really try anymore.

People complained about ORAS lacking Emerald content too, they still did nothing in BDSP. And they only made LGPE a Yellow remake because they had already remade RB and wanted to do something different. It became pretty clear that they largely didn't care about third version content anymore and we shouldn't expect it going forward. When SwSh opened up the possibility of DLC I thought maybe they would make third version content DLC (which would address the issue of casual players not enjoying it because they wouldn't bother getting the DLC), but they didn't even do that much. It's pretty clear that they really don't try anymore and don't really care about third version content, they just want the most bare minimum religiously samey experience because it makes them money.

Oh and the Delta Episode should be considered an expansion of Emerald content, it basically replaces the whole "Rayquaza quelling Groudon and Kyogre" cutscene from Emerald but is also 10x better.

It's not quite a replacement and whether or not it's better is subjective. The Delta Episode was great, but it's not quite the same because it doesn't relate to the main lore of the region with Groudon and Kyogre, it's very much its own thing. Additionally, Emerald's storyline changes go beyond just the legendaries, Emerald treated both teams as antagonists instead of just one and Team Magma/Groudon and Team Aqua/Kyogre showed up in environmentally appropriate locations instead of the one in your version showing up everywhere and the opposite team being an ally. The latter doesn't really make much sense and they jump through hoops to try and justify it. Why is Team Aqua interested in visiting a volcano? Why is Team Magma's base on the water? Why is Groudon at the bottom of the sea? None of this really makes much sense and Emerald sorts most of this out, but they reverted this with ORAS.

1669223483517.jpeg

I actually found the Delta Episode pretty damn mid since it lasts like one hour and it's just you following Zinia around. Yeah, you get to ride Mega Rayquaza to fight Deoxys, but normal Rayquaza telling Kyogre and Groudon to basically quit it is far more satisfying to me and shows Rayquaza doesn't take shit from anyone. Unlike Mega Rayquaza which for some reason doesn't just bitch slap Deoxys out of the sky (or i guess space in this case). You also don't even go to new areas, at least as far as i remember, which is really lame.

Also it doesn't replace the Emerald Battle Frontier (if it was meant to replace it) in the slightest to me since i can squeeze tons of hours out of it unlike the Delta Episode which, again, is like an hour long.

Last edited:
No, no it isn't, and you're looking at the situation far too broadly. It's not just about whether or not they're actually doing a new generation, remake, or third version but how, when, and which one. There's been varying situations each time that's resulted in deviations from the typical "pattern". For the new generations, are there 1 or 2 per console? Do the generations last 3 or 4 years? That hasn't been the same each time. Third versions you covered, so I won't go over that, but as far as remakes, not every generation has a remake (5th gen did not, it had BW, BW2, and then went straight to 6th gen) and LGPE broke a pattern by jumping to new hardware mid-gen. So you can't really rely on things like this because they can be broken at any time.

This last sentence says it all, that same logic applies for any remake, what I'm asking is what's the business logic in remaking Johto specifically as opposed to something else? I do believe that there will be a remake of some kind in 2024 (2023 is probably SV DLC), I'm just not utterly 100% convinced it's Johto. Johto is great and all, but I don't think it really draws fans in more than any other region and I don't think they're interested in re-remaking everything like they did with LGPE, LGPE had some extra incentives such as Kanto being wildly more popular than any other region and them seeing an opportunity to try and draw in mobile players (which again, I don't think they repeat this because I think they've realized that this doesn't entirely work). There's an argument to be made that they could skip to Unova in 2024, or do something different entirely that none of us are expecting.
Most of what you said isn't really Game Freak's decision, like when to move to the next system or how many games/generations per system, that has more to do with when Nintendo releases new systems, which isn't something Game Freak has control over, so that's a moot point and I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, they move to a new system whenever it's convenient for them to do so. They had stayed off the Switch for nearly two years so there was probably a lot of internal pressure to put a main series game on the Switch and LGPE was their answer to that. As for when they choose to remake certain games, the only constant has been they either remake the game once it's no longer playable on that system OR in the case of FRLG, because the originals can no longer communicate with current games. That was the basis for why FRLG was developed, it was solely meant to give people access back to their Kanto and Johto favorites, hence the Sevii Islands being a new mini-region that housed a lot of Johto Pokemon. HGSS because GSC were no longer playable on the DS (they were playable on the GBA but couldn't communicate up to Gens 3 or 4). I think the Hoenn remake got delayed for as long as it did because Gen V was still on the DS and the DS (as long as it wasn't the DSi) could still play GBA games aka the Hoenn games. Timeline-wise we could've gotten Hoenn remakes in 2012 or 2013 and it would've been about the 10-year mark since the original release, but I think they did the right thing by waiting for the 3DS. There really was no established pattern until LGPE came out, LGPE closed to look by being the first remake of a region that already had a remake. A big discussion on remake forums for years was that, eventually when they've remade games up to Gen 3, they get to the point where it's been 10+ years since a Kanto game, and may look to remake a remake to reintroduce that region to new fans while also appealing to the nostalgia of old fans. That is the core fundamental reason why remakes are even a thing. If your favorite region is, let's say, Unova, but Game Freak never releases another Unova region, you'd probably be a little salty right, after all, all the Hoenn fans and Kanto fans and even Sinnoh fans are getting remakes of their favorite games, so why shouldn't you. If your favorite region is Johto you're just screwed? It's not logical to think these regions WON'T get remade eventually, and like I said it is comparatively zero-time development compared to storyboarding a new game and designing a map from scratch, vs. just being able to completely reuse old designs and just freshen them up a little.

I don't see how you can possibly believe they'll just never make a game for those regions again lol, when remakes have always sold consistently well, they don't sell as high as brand new generations, but Game Freak can't do a new generation every year for maximum sales plus I think people would get bored of that anyways, they only sell well because they only happen once every 3-4 years. It's worth noting that LGPE has nearly outsold the highest-selling third version ever, that being the game it remade, Yellow. Legends: Arceus has also almost nearly outsold Yellow, BDSP did outsell Yellow. Third versions got killed because remakes sell better, it's as simple as that, and technically when PLA does surpass Yellow in sales (it will, if it hasn't already), PLA could be considered the highest-selling third version since it was sort of the "Platinum" third game to BDSP. In fact, three of the worst-selling main series games are Platinum, BW2, and USUM. That's the reason why the third version of a new generation got killed off, no matter what they tried with it, whether it was a straight superior third version like Platinum, a sequel like BW2, or a split third version like USUM, it never performed well, that's why I think we may start seeing two remakes a generation vs. the usual one remake. An indicator of this possible design change is the fact that BDSP came out only 3 years after LGPE, the shortest amount of time between remakes yet. FRLG-HGSS was about 5 years, HGSS-ORAS was about 5 as well and ORAS-LGPE was 4. So remakes have slowly become more and more frequent over the years. That's because, like I said, it's almost always guaranteed to sell really well even if the quality isn't up to par (LGPE and BDSP sold more copies than FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS, all games considered to be superior to the two remakes on the Switch).

In fact, BDSP is the best-selling remake ever, period. If they keep outsourcing the remakes to companies like ILCA, they could churn out a remake every two years basically for free. I could very much see a scenario where the release timeline looks something like this for the rest of Gen 9:

2023: SV DLC + Johto Remakes (if you assume ILCA or somebody else could already have been working on it for up to a year)
2024: Legends: Ho-Oh in Q1, Unova Remakes in Q4
2025: Legends: The Original Dragon
2026: Gen 10 for the franchise's 30th anniversary

I actually found the Delta Episode pretty damn mid since it lasts like one hour and it's just you following Zinia around. Yeah, you get to ride Mega Rayquaza to fight Deoxys, but normal Rayquaza telling Kyogre and Groudon to basically quit it is far more satisfying to me and shows Rayquaza doesn't take shit from anyone. Unlike Mega Rayquaza which for some reason doesn't just bitch slap Deoxys out of the sky (or i guess space in this case). You also don't even go to new areas, at least as far as i remember, which is really lame.

Also it doesn't replace the Emerald Battle Frontier (if it was meant to replace it) in the slightest to me since i can squeeze tons of hours out of it unlike the Delta Episode which, again, is like an hour long.
I always got the vibe that they clearly meant to develop a Battle Tower or even Battle Frontier but ran out of time, you'd have thought they'd at least give us the Battle Tower and Anabel but instead getting the Maison copy-pasted literally felt like something they did with a month before launch because they ran out of time. Makes me hope we get a Delta Emerald game one day on the Switch or Switch Pro or whatever the next system is. PLA proved that a single game release can sell 15 million+ copies which is a first since Yellow, so if done right it'll sell extremely well. It needs to be marketed alongside a Legends: Rayquaza game or whatever. Both BDSP and PLA sold very well because they kinda tied in with one another which was a very good marketing strategy by TPCi and Game Freak. Hoenn is my favorite region though so I'm kinda biased, but as soon as I saw the trailer for Legends: Arceus, I thought to myself "a Hoenn game in the ancient past with the Draconids and the first recorded uses of Mega Evolution etc. would absolutely be fire".

Most of what you said isn't really Game Freak's decision, like when to move to the next system or how many games/generations per system, that has more to do with when Nintendo releases new systems, which isn't something Game Freak has control over, so that's a moot point and I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, they move to a new system whenever it's convenient for them to do so. They had stayed off the Switch for nearly two years so there was probably a lot of internal pressure to put a main series game on the Switch and LGPE was their answer to that.

Hardware timing is not Game Freak's decision but they still have to plan around it because as you say, there's pressure to transition to the next gen device ASAP (I'm actually glad you mentioned this because I was about to myself, hardware transitions tend to be the biggest pattern breaker for the lineup). And we're at the point now where they might have to make that transition fairly soon, Nintendo's next gen device typically releases about 5-7 years after the previous gen device and the Switch has been around for 5 years now. We don't know if the 2024 game is going to be on the Switch or the Switch's successor yet, and that's an X factor in what game they're planning to release that year.

As for when they choose to remake certain games, the only constant has been they either remake the game once it's no longer playable on that system OR in the case of FRLG, because the originals can no longer communicate with current games. That was the basis for why FRLG was developed, it was solely meant to give people access back to their Kanto and Johto favorites, hence the Sevii Islands being a new mini-region that housed a lot of Johto Pokemon. HGSS because GSC were no longer playable on the DS (they were playable on the GBA but couldn't communicate up to Gens 3 or 4). I think the Hoenn remake got delayed for as long as it did because Gen V was still on the DS and the DS (as long as it wasn't the DSi) could still play GBA games aka the Hoenn games. Timeline-wise we could've gotten Hoenn remakes in 2012 or 2013 and it would've been about the 10-year mark since the original release, but I think they did the right thing by waiting for the 3DS. There really was no established pattern until LGPE came out, LGPE closed to look by being the first remake of a region that already had a remake. A big discussion on remake forums for years was that, eventually when they've remade games up to Gen 3, they get to the point where it's been 10+ years since a Kanto game, and may look to remake a remake to reintroduce that region to new fans while also appealing to the nostalgia of old fans. That is the core fundamental reason why remakes are even a thing. If your favorite region is, let's say, Unova, but Game Freak never releases another Unova region, you'd probably be a little salty right, after all, all the Hoenn fans and Kanto fans and even Sinnoh fans are getting remakes of their favorite games, so why shouldn't you. If your favorite region is Johto you're just screwed? It's not logical to think these regions WON'T get remade eventually, and like I said it is comparatively zero-time development compared to storyboarding a new game and designing a map from scratch, vs. just being able to completely reuse old designs and just freshen them up a little.

Oh there's definitely incentive to re-release the old regions on hardware that can't run the older games, but VC/NSO alleviates the need to create full scale $60 retail remakes of those older games. And we should be seeing NSO add GB and GBC games sometime in the next few years, so that eliminates the need to remake any of the GB games since the Switch could run Kanto and Johto games by virtue of allowing you to play RBY and GSC on NSO.

EDIT:

In fact, BDSP is the best-selling remake ever, period. If they keep outsourcing the remakes to companies like ILCA, they could churn out a remake every two years basically for free. I could very much see a scenario where the release timeline looks something like this for the rest of Gen 9:

2023: SV DLC + Johto Remakes (if you assume ILCA or somebody else could already have been working on it for up to a year)
2024: Legends: Ho-Oh in Q1, Unova Remakes in Q4
2025: Legends: The Original Dragon
2026: Gen 10 for the franchise's 30th anniversary

After BDSP and SV ended up with more bugs than Viridian Forest? No, this schedule isn't feasible, they'd be completely foolish to attempt something like this. Something like this would be more reasonable:

2023- SV DLC
2023/2024- RBY and GSC NSO
2024- BW remakes + Legends Unova
2025- Unova DLC?
2026- 10th gen (hopefully. After SV they won't possibly enforce another 3 year dev period for 10th gen right? RIGHT GAME FREAK?)

Last edited:
Hardware timing is not Game Freak's decision but they still have to plan around it because as you say, there's pressure to transition to the next gen device ASAP. And we're at the point now where they might have to make that transition fairly soon, Nintendo's next gen device typically releases about 5-7 years after the previous gen device and the Switch has been around for 5 years now. We don't know if the 2024 game is going to be on the Switch or the Switch's successor yet, and that's an X factor in what game they're planning to release that year.

Oh there's definitely incentive to re-release the old regions on hardware that can't run the older games, but VC/NSO alleviates the need to create full scale $60 retail remakes of those older games. And we should be seeing NSO add GB and GBC games sometime in the next few years, so that eliminates the need to remake any of the GB games since the Switch could run Kanto and Johto games by virtue of allowing you to play RBY and GSC on NSO.
Pokemon is well known for continuing to support systems well into the end of their lifespans. Emerald came out one year after the DS launched, BW2 came out one year after the 3DS launched, and USUM released in the year of the Switch's launch. Basically, main series games are never released in the year of a new console's launch, and I don't know if this will change.

I want perhaps nothing in the gaming world more than I want to go back to Johto. I’m holding out hope that it’s next on the list, as I always do.

But instead of just remakes, I really hope that we see a Legends game set in Johto. Legends was a success in redefining the series’ formula in a way that I think is so perfectly aligned with Johto that it would be an extreme shame if we don’t see a Legends game set there. It would simple, seamless, and sensible - have it deal with the Burned Tower story. It would also allow them to expand on the Legends model with cities and towns beyond a single home base. With the right story, some good arrangements of classic Johto music, and a compelling rendition of the region, I think it could be the best experience that the series has ever offered.

If we only get simple remakes, that’s fine. If we just get a Let’s Go set in Johto, that’s fine too. But it’s just such a perfect opportunity to do a Legends game instead.

I think there’s a natural tendency among some to expect that Game Freak jumps straight to Unova, but I don’t think that would be right. Kanto wasn’t skipped, it got Let’s Go - why skip Johto? Unova will have its moment again eventually, they all do, but Johto is seriously lacking some long-due love and attention.

I want perhaps nothing in the gaming world more than I want to go back to Johto. I’m holding out hope that it’s next on the list, as I always do.

But instead of just remakes, I really hope that we see a Legends game set in Johto. Legends was a success in redefining the series’ formula in a way that I think is so perfectly aligned with Johto that it would be an extreme shame if we don’t see a Legends game set there. It would simple, seamless, and sensible - have it deal with the Burned Tower story. It would also allow them to expand on the Legends model with cities and towns beyond a single home base. With the right story, some good arrangements of classic Johto music, and a compelling rendition of the region, I think it could be the best experience that the series has ever offered.

If we only get simple remakes, that’s fine. If we just get a Let’s Go set in Johto, that’s fine too. But it’s just such a perfect opportunity to do a Legends game instead.

I think there’s a natural tendency among some to expect that Game Freak jumps straight to Unova, but I don’t think that would be right. Kanto wasn’t skipped, it got Let’s Go - why skip Johto? Unova will have its moment again eventually, they all do, but Johto is seriously lacking some long-due love and attention.
Yeah. They haven't made a game set in the Johto region since 2009, which was 13 years ago (I am not counting the VC releases for this statistic). This gap is larger than the gap between RG and FRLG (8 years), GS and HGSS (10 years) and RS and ORAS (12 years). The longest gap between revisits was between FRLG and LGPE, at 14 years. We've gone only 10 years since we've last seen Unova (in BW2). Johto and Unova are also the only regions that cannot be played in full 3D. Kanto can through LGPE, Hoenn through ORAS, Sinnoh through BDSP, and Kalos-onwards are naturally made in full 3D. Johto is just plainly the most out of date region right now, and as such it is the most deserving of a remake right now.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom