• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

July 03: One-hour Special

Well Ash had Donphan during Battle Frontier, but that was more about the writers fixing their Johto mistakes and actually giving Phanpy some development that it didn't get back in Johto. Its also nice to see Ash with a strong ground type, something he didn't have before.

Its true every Johto Pokemon on the cast now is just cause of the Sinnoh evo's. Soon Zoey's Misdreavous will also likely evolve.

Bulbanews has the title for DP86 up, so I guess that title is pretty much confirmed.

"Yosuga Collection! The Road to Becoming a Pokémon Stylist!!, will air July 10."

I will /facepalm if that is the episode with Supermodel Lopunny, how in hell can an Australian magazine get so many details?

Easy, someone from there has contacts with one of the writers who leaked out the details. Though why to an Australian magazine, I don't know

As for the Johto Pokémon needing to evolve very fast, well, the most explicit reason I'd think the writers would want to do that is to showcase the Sinnoh Pokémon more.

Well yeah this makes the most sense because that's the whole point.

There is no apparent reason to bring a 2nd gen Pokémon back to anyone's team unless that Pokémon is part of an evolutionary line from the 4th gen, eg: Brock's Bonsly and Happiny, Ash's soon to be Gliscor and recently, Jessie's Yanmega. It's nothing against the 2nd gen at all, it's just that this season is focused on the 4th gen Pokémon and the writers will want to showcase them as much as possible.

Yeah, I know, which saddens me though.

If you think about it, Ash didn't have any Pokémon from any other gen in the Hoenn season, his entire team was from the 3rd gen exclusive (Grovyle, Swellow, Torkoal, Glalie and Corphish) with the exception of Pikachu of course. The thing is, in this gen (4th), there are many new Pokémon that are part of an evolutionary line that already existed before, particularly 2nd gen Pokémon and that is why we are getting to see them much more than usual.

And you'd think after all this they're throwing us hints at something furter ahead. I mean, why not start this "second line" with the Hoenn Pokemon? Maybe their time is coming up in Generation V, who knows.

Scott85 said:
Well Ash had Donphan during Battle Frontier, but that was more about the writers fixing their Johto mistakes and actually giving Phanpy some development that it didn't get back in Johto. Its also nice to see Ash with a strong ground type, something he didn't have before.

Maybe that's why they chose Phanphy to improve on out of all his Johto Pokemon, the fact that it's his first ground-type.

Now I wish they had a Sinnoh-evo for Heracross.

After rewatching the Hikozaru episode and Gligar's capture...I have to say that it really depresses me that Gligar is evolving.
Speculation, shmeculation. Gligar's personality (and Mimirol's, if she happens to evolve in that supermodel episode...) will get shafted, which seems to be happening to a majority of the Pokemon who have evolved in Sinnoh.
Gligar tearing up for silly, girly reasons and getting blown away by wind and glomping Satoshi = Yey.

Kind of a shame, really.

but who's to say that Glisor won't be like that, too? I mean, evolving doesn't necessarily mean becoming more mature, i think. It could be like my brother: Looks grown up, acts 1/4 his actual age. What if Gligar/Glisor ended up like that?

...Heh, just imagining a giant Glisor glomping Ash makes me laugh...

But yeah. Gary comes back. Best thing EVER. ^^

What if we get that "disobeying its trainer" behavior again? We haven't seen that in ages! I'd love to see another Pokemon like Ash's Charmeleon (and for a bit Charizard) not listen to his whims. I can see that with Gliscor...Gligar was all nice and cute to Ash, and he gets the cold shoulder treatment with its evolution.

What if we get that "disobeying its trainer" behavior again? We haven't seen that in ages! I'd love to see another Pokemon like Ash's Charmeleon (and for a bit Charizard) not listen to his whims. I can see that with Gliscor...Gligar was all nice and cute to Ash, and he gets the cold shoulder treatment with its evolution.

I hope not. I disliked charmeleon's/charizard's jerk behavior and would dislike if gliscor start to follow the same steps. But I doubt, after all, the title is "wings of friendship", not "wings of rebelion". The only ones that I can see pulling a jerk behavior are chimchar (after evolution) or buizel.

Last edited:
Hopefully Dawn gets Mamoswine by the end of the series so we can see her with a "non-cute" Pokemon.

I hope not. I disliked charmeleon's/charizard's jerk behavior and would dislike if gliscor start to follow the same steps. But I doubt, after all, the title is "wings of friendship", not "wings of rebelion". The only ones that I can see pulling a jerk behavior are chimchar 9after evolution) or buizel.

Couldn't "Wings of Frienship" apply not only to Ash and Gligar/Glisor's relationship, but Ash and Gary's as friends? I dunno, I'm more into character development and interation.

On another note, I'd be sad if Glisor turned out to be totally rebellious. I think Chimchar might actually be closer to that...i mean, compare his and Charizard's original situations:

-their trainers thought they were weak and abandonend them

-Ash took them in and treated them kindly

>He also helped (is helping) them recover from that. Granted, with Charmander it was basically limited to its debut eppy, but with Chimchar we've somewhat gotten development since we first saw it with Paul, and that only increased as it was shown more often. We've actually had a couple episodes with everyone trying to reassure Chimchar's insecurities.

-they're both starter fire types. that...probably has nothing to do with it. >_<; Sorry, i ranted.

Maybe that's why they chose Phanphy to improve on out of all his Johto Pokemon, the fact that it's his first ground-type.

No. It very obviously because it barely got used at all during Johto

It's about time that Hikari can get her paws on that Urimoo. And I'm not sure if I should be happy about Gligar evolving already. We knew it was coming, but it seemed rushed... And if there really IS an episode with a supermodel Mimilop, then that's one HECK of an Australian magazine!

Also, SHIGERU! *fangirl squeal*

DuquÊ? said:
The only ones that I can see pulling a jerk behavior are chimchar 9after evolution) or buizel.

That would make two fire starter Pokemon in a row not listen to him, but this won't happen, after all the Chimchar-focused episodes we've seen. Buizel, I dunno...possibly. I'd be shocked if Monferno disobeys. After all it went through. Or it may have a change of heart and go to Paul instead.

Adamant said:
No. It very obviously because it barely got used at all during Johto

Well we could say the same thing to his other Pokemon.

After rewatching the Hikozaru episode and Gligar's capture...I have to say that it really depresses me that Gligar is evolving.
Speculation, shmeculation. Gligar's personality (and Mimirol's, if she happens to evolve in that supermodel episode...) will get shafted, which seems to be happening to a majority of the Pokemon who have evolved in Sinnoh.
Gligar tearing up for silly, girly reasons and getting blown away by wind and glomping Satoshi = Yey.

Kind of a shame, really.

Mimirol's not going to evolve that episode. It hits right before the movie comes out, and we clearly saw Mimirol in the same scene as we saw Urimoo and Satoshi's Glion.

Also, why do you blame evolution for Pokemon losing their personalities? Concerning Eteboth, the thing is that we've hardly seen the Pokemon ever since it's been in Hikari's custody, plus its Contest-loving personality kinda becomes a moot point when it's finally able to regularly participate in Contests anyway, so if anything, the trade is to blame. Then there's Mukubird, who barely did anything before its evolution anyway (aside from showing a hint of intelligence and leadership in the very same episode it evolved). Besides, Gravy seems to suggest that it's gotten all the more comical since its evolution (it did have a couple good moments, like its reaction to not fighting against Hyouta).

Usokkii... honestly, what would you rather have? A quirky drill cadet? Or a crybaby with THE most annoying voice in the entirety of this anime's 550 episodes (one could say its annoyingness died down, but I'd attribute that more to the fact that, like any of Takeshi's Pokemon, we barely saw the thing after its capture)? If you're suggesting that this evolution was in any way NOT an improvement, then you have got to be among the most insane people I've ever encountered.

As for the matter of Jouto Pokemon having their evolutions rushed... I can agree with this when it comes to Musashi's Yanyanma becoming a Yanmega in the very episode she caught it. However, I don't think Satoshi's Gligar becoming a Glion is being rushed, exactly... for one thing, it's a Pokemon that evolves with an item, so all things considered, it's a Pokemon that could evolve at any time so long as they make said item handy (though by that logic, they sure took their sweet time getting Aipom to learn Double Attack, didn't they?). Second, Satoshi's Gligar has actually been around a pretty good while (about five months, is it?). The real problem is that we barely even saw the thing this whole time. Given, time's been getting eaten up by Mukubird learning Brave Bird, Hikozaru and Bouysel finally getting some more focus after Naetle learning Energy Ball took up any chances for spotlight shortly after they joined Satoshi's team, a water-based contest and gym where a Ground-type that can barely take advantage of its aerial abilities is as good as fucked, and some other stuff. Though, they still had plenty of moments for Gligar to shine and didn't take them... for instance, I'm sure it could've done something during that Kabaldon filler that followed its capture (especially since a Ground-type seems pretty advantageous in the desert, and it wouldn't be effected if the hippo caused a sandstorm). It also could've participated against Reiji, but instead, he makes the poor thing watch... in fact, that's all it seems to do, "watch" (I mean, the same crap happened at the beginning of a recent episode when Satoshi was training all his Pokemon, EXCEPT Gligar). It's nice that he finally let it battle worth a damn against Shinji, but it's too little too late now.

I think people are saying Gligar's evo is rushed because other Pokemon that have been here forever, like Turtwig, are still in their base stage.

Its really annoying that we're almost halfway through
Sinnoh already and his starters aren't evolved. At this point people who are hoping Ash has an Infernape or Grotle/Torterra by the league are going to be very disappointed.

I don't think he's gonna get a Torterra. Ok, so we have Ash's Gliscor vs. Paul's Gliscor. We'd be pushing it with Paul's Torterra and if Ash's evolved all the way through.

Right now I can see Ash's Chimchar go all the way. And see Kenny's Prinplup become an Empoleon, seeing that Dawn's "Pikachu" won't evolve either way.

I think people are saying Gligar's evo is rushed because other Pokemon that have been here forever, like Turtwig, are still in their base stage.

Its really annoying that we're almost halfway through
Sinnoh already and his starters aren't evolved. At this point people who are hoping Ash has an Infernape or Grotle/Torterra by the league are going to be very disappointed.

Well, Charmander didn't evolve until we were 3/4 of the way through Kanto and by the time we even reached the next Gym it was already a Charizard. I say never to count anything out. I can see Turtwig reaching Grotle, Buizel not evolving, Staravia reaching Staraptor, and then Chimchar into Monferno before evolving into Infernape in the Sinnoh League match against Paul.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom