• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

June 24th Pokemon Presents Discussion

What do you think the new project will be?

• Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Let's Go Johto

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm leaning more into the announcement being for Sinnoh remakes. I just can't think of anything plausible for the something else category... :/

I find myself wondering if maybe the big announcement is that they are working on re-making the Sinnoh region, and that the Sinnoh games actually are going to be the new open world model for future new mainline games.

I keeping thinking about the fact that Sinnoh is a mountainous region. What if, similar to receiving the Dojo gear for the IoA, and the Expedition/Snow gear for the CT, they are working on Climbing Gear so we can go climb some of those mountains? I feel that introducing a climbing mechanic for the player would be a pretty big deal for a Pokemon game that might be worth taking some time to discuss. I mean seeing how Rock Climb is defunct, so.....

(I am also preparing myself to be horribly disappointed.)

Now this is good, walmart and Nintendo retweeting this give me hope that this is not a lame mobile game.

Joe from Serebii has already commented on why that's not particularly indicative of anything:

I'm not saying its evidence of the new game being LG2J but as standard as Joe claims them to be, they were not in last week's video at all.

If the announcement is actually for a mobile game I will eat my 3DS.

The retweets by the AU/NZ Nintendo account and Canadian Gamer Walmart give me some hope. I just really don't want it to be a mobile game. I have no interest in them; the only mobile Pokemon game I played was Masters and that was for about a week or so after it came out. To have all this buildup only for the payoff to be a mobile game I will most likely never play would be... disappointing, to say the least.

The one that made me hate mobile games was Pokemon GO, if I have to spend real-world money for more bag space on a game I already have, then I'm going to automatically hate it.

It obviously lets go

i messaged tpci and they said they’re never doing sinnoh remakes because its too complicated to make and they think that sinnoh is the worst region in their opinion

and im also crying rn because the games are the johto remakes because im psychic and this comment is typed around the time lets go johto was announced

and if you guys want a sinnoh remake, why dont you make your own fanmade sinnoh remake

It obviously lets go

i messaged tpci and they said they’re never doing sinnoh remakes because its too complicated to make and they think that sinnoh is the worst region in their opinion

and im also crying rn because the games are the johto remakes because im psychic and this comment is typed around the time lets go johto was announced

and if you guys want a sinnoh remake, why dont you make your own fanmade sinnoh remake

chill, please. the sarcasm and snide is unnecessary.

more on the topic, i'm also kind of sort of leaning of a possible let's go johto, but who really knows, right? i highly doubt it's a dppt remake though, seems like something that'd be too good to be true. :s

While we're talking about tweets, another noteworthy factor is that neither Masuda nor Ohmori have tweeted anything about this announcement, whereas they did for the previous one. Even if this is for console, I wouldn't expect it to be a project developed by Game Freak.

People keep saying "oh lame mobile games how could you spend 11 minutes on that" but TPC has partnered with Tencent, the biggest video game publisher in the world, to collaborate on a project. That's a huge business deal that they almost certainly expect to be lucrative. And TiMi Studios, the subsidiary of Tencent that are producing the game, produced Call of Duty: Mobile last year to great success. A Pokémon MOBA or MMO title in a similar vein would be legitimately new territory for the franchise.

But with that exact logic, it would only make sense to release a new generation/game when the current one is "done" being sold. There's obviously still people who haven't bought Sword & Shield yet but also people who will simply never buy it. I also don't see why only one thing is possible. Having the expansion pass still up for sale for the holiday season doesn't keep people from buying another game releasing for the holidays.
Can't give you exact numbers - as I'm not sure where to find them - but by not releasing a game for the holidays, that's a bit of a loss considering there definitely *are* people who already bought the expansion pass, even as early as it was available, and that's not only 3 or 5 people. All of the people who already bought SwSh and the expansion pass are - in theory - free to buy another full price game in the holiday season, and even people with a tight budget would still have almost half a year to save up with an announcement being made now. If there is no new game at the end of the year, fans who *would* buy the new game after already having bought the DLC now will throw their cash at something else, possibly a game for another platform. That doesn't mean that there has to be a new main game at the end of the year, of course, but you can't completely rule it out either. Not to mention a new game's release won't have to mean people not buying the DLC next year or whenever else they want to buy it.

The thing is, the DLC is essentially to Sword and Shield what USUM were to Sun and Moon. A smaller release in the immediate next year that they almost certainly aren't expecting to make as much money off of, but that's fine, because it'll still do great numbers and they have other projects in the works that will pick up the slack in 2021 or 2022. And Game Freak, as a studio, a workforce, only have so much time available to develop games. They need these comparatively smaller releases to fill in some of the gaps so that they can work on what's going on in the background. They're probably wrapping up the Crown Tundra right now (and I don't think any less effort would have gone into the SWSH DLC than went into USUM), while also doing conceptual/early development on Gen 9. History would suggest that there is likely another Gen 8 game of some sort being produced in parallel with those projects. Around this time in 2017, they'd have been wrapping up on USUM, midway through developing LGPE, and doing heavy work on SWSH. But realistically, would they also have the time to produce another full-fledged main series title that would be ready for release this year, on top of those projects? They've never had that much of a workload before, and that was without a global pandemic to worry about.

I would imagine they probably need the time afforded by them not having to crank out another game in time for this year's holidays a lot more than they need something other than the DLC to make money this year. Again, in theory, sure, they could do it, but they don't need to.

Plus, as far as multimedia promotion goes, it's generally best to keep the focus on one centralizing thing at a time. The Crown Tundra's release will precipitate the usual wave of Crown Tundra-themed merchandise; TCG sets and plushies and the like that will be marketed to the public for a couple of months. Throwing a different main series thing into the mix right after the Crown Tundra's release would just be overcomplicating it.

All of the people who already bought SwSh and the expansion pass are - in theory - free to buy another full price game in the holiday season, and even people with a tight budget would still have almost half a year to save up with an announcement being made now.

It's not so much that they look at the upcoming holiday season and say "Well everyone's pockets are just sitting there, so we should take advantage of that" so much as, whenever they do have a new main series title ready, they aim to get it on the market in time for the holidays because that's inherently a big moneymaking season. But the Pokémon franchise as a whole definitely doesn't need a main series game every end-of-year - it's one of the most popular multimedia franchises on the planet, aimed primarily at children whose parents will have a complete saturation of Pokémon-related options to choose from for gifts.

The one that made me hate mobile games was Pokemon GO, if I have to spend real-world money for more bag space on a game I already have, then I'm going to automatically hate it.

Technically you don't have to spend anything if you rack up coins through Gym dominance, though that's definitely the slower path.

Joe's been wrong before. I wouldn't take what he says as gospel.

Nothing I did there is really "taking what he says as gospel," it's just reiterating a fair observation that he made.

I would kind of have to agree that with Wal-Mart retweeting the announcement it feels like this will be a game with physical copies rather than a mobile one.
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think it will be a spin-off with Johto relevance, but not a Let’s Go title.

I was going to point out that Colosseum actually did feature all of the Johto plushies that were shown, but then I remembered that Lugia wasn’t available until XD.

Edit: And, I guess, Politoed wasn’t capturable in Colosseum either.

Last edited:
Yeah, Gen IV remakes would be a bit early and Let's Go too unsure.

I still hope it's the former, though, but it defies most of the current developments.

Last edited:
I don't want to completely rule out anything. Just looking through Walmart Canada's tweets, they tweet out about a decent amount of gaming news, including things that don't have physical game releases. They tweeted about the DLC expansion pass, likely because they were selling the redeem codes for it that you could get instead of purchasing it in the E-Store. It's entirely possible that what is being talked about tomorrow might not have a physical release, but you can purchase something for it in stores.

Do people really think Walmart Canada have some level of insider information on what this announcement will contain already?

I suspect it’s more sharing news that might be relevant to their customers in the hope that it translates to future sales of a product for them - otherwise the only way I can see them having some advanced knowledge of what will be in the announcement will be if it’s a Walmart exclusive which seems massively unlikely to me for a Pokémon game and if it were the case you’d expect every Walmart social media account to be pushing it.

Do people really think Walmart Canada have some level of insider information on what this announcement will contain already?

I suspect it’s more sharing news that might be relevant to their customers in the hope that it translates to future sales of a product for them - otherwise the only way I can see them having some advanced knowledge of what will be in the announcement will be if it’s a Walmart exclusive which seems massively unlikely to me for a Pokémon game and if it were the case you’d expect every Walmart social media account to be pushing it.
You never know. Companies talk with each other. I doubt it as well, but stranger things have happened.

Anyway, anything that gives me the (false) hope it ain't a mobile game, is good.

But to go from a Japanese game company to the Canadian branch of a retail chain (specifically to the social media manager) and not leak? I find that very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom