• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

June 24th Pokemon Presents Discussion

What do you think the new project will be?

• Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Let's Go Johto

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
PROC? Why not just say China? You all are making things more complicated than need be. Lol.

(But if PROC is more accurate, I understand)

Which never will happen obviously.

The Pokemon Company: People are asking for Real time battles
The Pokemon Company: Announces this game
People: DISAPPOINTEDDDDD.
Me: Make up your mind people.
Was anyone asking for real time battles in this style? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ask for a Pokémon MOBA. Also, people can want something and then be disappointed if the product isn’t up to snuff. Just because they wanted it doesn’t mean they have to automatically like it.

PROC? Why not just say China? You all are making things more complicated than need be. Lol.

(But if PROC is more accurate, I understand)

PROC is People's Republic of China
But ROC is Republic of China, more commonly known in English as Taiwan.

The reason people say PROC or CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is that dishonest agents to try to conflate criticism of China and the Chinese government, as criticism Chinese people as a race.

So I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.

The game actually didn't look too bad, and I enjoyed watching the battle take place with the commentary. I thought it was a unique way to show off some of the game's features while keeping (what was left of) the audience fairly engaged.

But this did NOT warrant its own presentation, and for that fact alone, I am disappointed that TPCi failed to recognize the disconnect that would create between them and the fanbase. If the reveals for Pokemon Unite and New Pokemon Snap were switched, we would be singing a completely different tune right now.

Was anyone asking for real time battles in this style? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ask for a Pokémon MOBA. Also, people can want something and then be disappointed if the product isn’t up to snuff. Just because they wanted it doesn’t mean they have to automatically like it.
There's also the fact the game is being produced by Tencent. One of the most infamous free to play developers out there.

The big question remains.

Why Walmart advertise that ? Why ?

because it was the gaming specific account for Walmart Canada, they had no prior knowledge of what the content would be but know they sell tonnes of Pokémon stuff so any announcement would like be relevant to some of their followers.

I have no interest in this game but not particularly surprised or disappointed - as much as there was other stuff I’d have liked announced this is just non news to me more than something to get annoyed about:”.

I'm a pokemon fan since 1999, I have loved almost all the game even the spinoff, but this is just insulting. I played every generation,enjoy most of the content, i've played every spinoff, or almost all of them, even pokemon trozei. But this is an absolute NO. I hate game on cell phone, I play one time or two and it's over after. They pissed off fan a lot in the pass 3 to 4 years. Now they'll need to give something the fans want cause a frustrated fan base is never a good thing.

Not even type advantages in the game hahahahahaha. Without types or type advantages, its not a Pokemon game.
There are countless Pokémon games that have no battle system at all much less type advantages. Plus there’s Pokken.
Too much attention and effort on spin off games. Half of that effort could make SwSh DLCs much much less controversial and laughingstock on the social media.
Say it with me, friends: Spin-Off titles do not affect the development of main series games.
The only thing they affect is release dates as I doubt they would drop a main series immediately after a spin-off. But Tencent and GameFreak are two different entities with two different dev teams.
Also, incidentally, I’ve seen just as much positive reviews for the DLC as negative post-release. They did a great job.

There are countless Pokémon games that have no battle system at all much less type advantages. Plus there’s Pokken.

Say it with me, friends: Spin-Off titles do not affect the development of main series games.
The only thing they affect is release dates as I doubt they would drop a main series immediately after a spin-off. But Tencent and GameFreak are two different entities with two different dev teams.
Also, incidentally, I’ve seen just as much positive reviews for the DLC as negative post-release. They did a great job.
I didn’t say they affect each other. I am only fascinated by the effort being put in spin off games but not any close to it in main series.

Now that TPCI has decided to get fully in bed with state run companies belonging to authoritarian regimes, I'm quite looking forward to Gen 9. Pokemon Huawei and Pokemon Douyin.

First noticeable change is the removal of the Fairy type from previous gens. Also for some reason the Regional Professor or Nurse Joy, will now wait 2 months to tell you if your Pokemon have caught PokeRus.

I didn’t say they affect each other. I am only fascinated by the effort being put in spin off games but not any close to it in main series.
I mean, this is probably false as well but it’s entirely speculative either way. But that’s a conversation for another thread

If the reveals for Pokemon Unite and New Pokemon Snap were switched, we would be singing a completely different tune right now.

We would, but outside the comparatively tiny sphere of fan forums, Unite probably has a lot more mileage and appeal than Snap.

This is more or less what I was expecting right down to the fan rage following it. I figured it was gonna be another mobile/ Switch thing trying to be the next Pokemon GO. I'm still kinda shocked people really expected a new main series game, a Let's Go Johto at that.

I'm not interested in the game itself and don't really have friends to play it with anyway. I'm more torn over the reactions. This really wasn't what the community needed. On one hand I get it, I'm not thrilled about it and they definitely should not have dedicated a whole 11 minute presentation to it. On the other hand, all the negativity and insults I've seen thrown around over it is so unnecessary and not helpful. I'm more depressed over all the fighting breaking out over it than the game itself, not that I really expected anything different.

We would, but outside the comparatively tiny sphere of fan forums, Unite probably has a lot more mileage and appeal than Snap.
I’m interested to see how true this is. In Western spheres (ones that extend far beyond our forums), Snap has massive appeal. The announcement tweets have garnered tens of thousands of likes. People have been clamoring for it for decades.
Meanwhile, I’ve heard that the genre of games Unite falls into is very popular in China which is a huge player base as well. That’s not even considering the appeal it will have in other regions as well.

I guess it will all depend on execution.

I guarantee the reason this got its own presentation is not because they sat and thought, "You know, we should really single this out for the people who spend every day pining for Sinnoh online," but because it's the culmination of a lucrative business deal with an incredibly high-profile publisher with access to an untapped market and who last year was responsible for producing the biggest mobile game launch ever.

I’m interested to see how true this is. In Western spheres (ones that extend far beyond our forums), Snap has massive appeal. The announcement tweets have garnered tens of thousands of likes. People have been clamoring for it for decades.
Meanwhile, I’ve heard that the genre of games Unite falls into is very popular in China which is a huge player base as well. That’s not even considering the appeal it will have in other regions as well.

I guess it will all depend on execution.

Snap will for sure be popular, but I'd say it's probably a one-and-done thing, a self-contained game with only so much to do, and it's only available on the Switch. I imagine it'll do better than Rescue Team DX, but I don't see it taking the world by storm. Not that I necessarily think Unite will either, but the Chinese market does make a huge difference, as well as availability on both Switch and mobile with crossplay support. Beyond that, they're even pushing it as a new competitive realm of Pokémon to be hosted at the World Championships. Snap will see no such emphasis.

Edit: Also, yeah, it being F2P is a big factor as well. You have to pay a solid (... what do we think Snap will run for? $40? $60?) to get into New Pokémon Snap, but anyone with a Switch or a phone can download Unite and give it a try.

Last edited:
I have no idea who tencent is, but I'm assuming they're Chinese what with all the free Hong Kong I saw in the comments??
They're basically one of the most massive companies in China owning 100% of Riot Games, the same company who made League of Legends which is what this game seems to be based off of as well as 40% of Epic Games. Other companies they have invested in to name a few includes Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard and Platinum Games. Plus they're now officially in control of System Shock 3 as well as being responsible with helping Nintendo out for releasing the Switch in China.

The thing about this announcement was the fact that it was a major ratings draw. Had Unite been announced last week along with Smile, Café Mix, and New Pokémon Snap, it is most likely that this backlash would've never happened or be this serious. People waited for a week, expecting things like a new expansion for SwSh, GO access to HOME, or a new main series title, but get an app that would most likely require transactions.

My theory is that Unite was suppose to be announced last week, but Tencent requested that it get its own Presents to draw in hype. Which obviously backfired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom