• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

Just come back to the TCG ... why is Poison part of Psychic?

Previously Obstagoon
Reaction score
I used to collect obsessively as a child, but despite my huge collection, I never had anyone to play the game with, so I stopped. Recently I rediscovered my old collection, and was making some decks to play with my boyfriend when I realised the newer cards put Poison Pokemon in Psychic instead of Grass???

Why did Nintendo do this? It doesn't make any sense ...

Crashing Curlipede
Reaction score
That’s a very good question. Being sorted into Grass made more sense thematically...I can only think of one reason why they’d possibly group Poison with the Psychic cards instead, and it’s more related to design than anything. :p

Pocket Professor
Reaction score
It's also ghost. Poison was actually part of grass until Diamond & Pearl.

Crashing Curlipede
Reaction score
Yes, FairyTaleDude acknowledged that that’s how it was. The confusion around the change stems from the fact that Poison seems like it would be better grouped with Grass and Bug than Psychic and Ghost from a thematic standpoint.

Pocket Professor
Reaction score
Yes, FairyTaleDude acknowledged that that’s how it was. The confusion around the change stems from the fact that Poison seems like it would be better grouped with Grass and Bug than Psychic and Ghost from a thematic standpoint.
Oh! I misread that. Yes, that's true then, it does seem odd. I think it's just to balance the game differently from a game dev standpoint.

Previously Obstagoon
Reaction score
Tbh, I'm not inherently against the idea, it just didn't seem very intuitive to me for Poison, which focuses on physical venom, to be grouped with more ephemeral, spiritual types like Ghost and Psychic.

Of course I understand people can, in an abstract way, be just as toxic as any tangible poison, but I always thought that sort of thing was covered by Dark ... tho perhaps I'm missing something about Dark there.

Reaction score
It was for game balance because Grass was getting super crowded with Pokemon relative to other types aside from maybe Water, while Psychic was comparatively thin for Pokemon in the Pokemon TCG at the time.

IIRC that's the only reason.