• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Just come back to the TCG ... why is Poison part of Psychic?

Poneto

Previously Obstagoon
Reaction score
I used to collect obsessively as a child, but despite my huge collection, I never had anyone to play the game with, so I stopped. Recently I rediscovered my old collection, and was making some decks to play with my boyfriend when I realised the newer cards put Poison Pokemon in Psychic instead of Grass???

Why did Nintendo do this? It doesn't make any sense ...

Yes, FairyTaleDude acknowledged that that’s how it was. The confusion around the change stems from the fact that Poison seems like it would be better grouped with Grass and Bug than Psychic and Ghost from a thematic standpoint.
Oh! I misread that. Yes, that's true then, it does seem odd. I think it's just to balance the game differently from a game dev standpoint.

Tbh, I'm not inherently against the idea, it just didn't seem very intuitive to me for Poison, which focuses on physical venom, to be grouped with more ephemeral, spiritual types like Ghost and Psychic.

Of course I understand people can, in an abstract way, be just as toxic as any tangible poison, but I always thought that sort of thing was covered by Dark ... tho perhaps I'm missing something about Dark there.

It was for game balance because Grass was getting super crowded with Pokemon relative to other types aside from maybe Water, while Psychic was comparatively thin for Pokemon in the Pokemon TCG at the time.

IIRC that's the only reason.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom