• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread (New Poll)

Which name do you like?

• Total voters
I definitely prefer Aura Trio, short and sweet and obvious. The others don't roll off the tongue as well. :/
You certainly can pick a winner lol, the name Aura Trio is pretty dead on especially given when info we have on the trio if its a trio. This might be one of those gens that break the mold and stray from the patterns established in the past. So far its already short a trio, and it is still not known how these guys are related (or at least last I checked)

I recently acquired a copy of Pokémon Y, and while playing it I came across a man speaking about how 800 years ago Yveltal started killing people off one by one...similar to the Black Death. With this revelation, I no longer support (not that I really 100% did in the first place) any Norse or Celtic or any mythological origin basis for the trio.

I now believe that Yveltal has basis on the Black Death and possibly the Plague Doctor Costume.

Human Y. pestis was responsible for the death of at least one-third of the European population between 1347 and 1353. The unsettling sight of the Plague Doctor's costume terrified people, believing it to be a sign of imminent death.

I recently acquired a copy of Pokémon Y, and while playing it I came across a man speaking about how 800 years ago Yveltal started killing people off one by one...similar to the Black Death. With this revelation, I no longer support (not that I really 100% did in the first place) any Norse or Celtic or any mythological origin basis for the trio.

I now believe that Yveltal has basis on the Black Death and possibly the Plague Doctor Costume.

Human Y. pestis was responsible for the death of at least one-third of the European population between 1347 and 1353. The unsettling sight of the Plague Doctor's costume terrified people, believing it to be a sign of imminent death.

The Norse basis was never really that strong with Yveltal. It was more of a thing for Xerneas anyway what with being a deity of life that transforms into a tree. There still are a few details that tie Yveltal to Norse mythology, but nowhere near as strong and definitely not as encompassing of its design as many people think.

It's important to remember that Pokemon that are likely to see a lot of exposure will usually have more than a few different inspirations for there designs. Just as important is to remember that a Pokemon which has a basis on a specific article of mythology will not take the entire myth into it's design (e.g. the Weather Trio are based on the concept of the Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz, yet Rayquaza isn't a griffin). This is especially significant for legendaries considering their design, development, and roles within the games.

The Black Plague providing some inspiration for Yveltal does seem to be a certainty going by the description of when in Pokemon history it happened drawing a parallel to similar events in our own history. It may seem a bit controversial to say that the Black Plague was in GF's mind when designing Yveltal though it may not be too far off considering what may have went into Lysandre and AZ (probably spoilers if you haven't defeated Team Flare yet).

The Norse basis was never really that strong with Yveltal. It was more of a thing for Xerneas anyway what with being a deity of life that transforms into a tree. There still are a few details that tie Yveltal to Norse mythology, but nowhere near as strong and definitely not as encompassing of its design as many people think.

It's important to remember that Pokemon that are likely to see a lot of exposure will usually have more than a few different inspirations for there designs. Just as important is to remember that a Pokemon which has a basis on a specific article of mythology will not take the entire myth into it's design (e.g. the Weather Trio are based on the concept of the Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz, yet Rayquaza isn't a griffin). This is especially significant for legendaries considering their design, development, and roles within the games.

The Black Plague providing some inspiration for Yveltal does seem to be a certainty going by the description of when in Pokemon history it happened drawing a parallel to similar events in our own history. It may seem a bit controversial to say that the Black Plague was in GF's mind when designing Yveltal though it may not be too far off considering what may have went into Lysandre and AZ (probably spoilers if you haven't defeated Team Flare yet).
Trust me, a Pokémon being based off a plague that has killed millions is not the most controversial thing that could be in the game. I lent a old dude a Pichu and after defeating the Elite 4, the dude croaked and I got the Pichu back. I'm just glad I didn't give the guy a Froakie or something.

Still, there are quite a few parallels between the Black Plague and Yveltal's history. Plus when a Human is infected with it, its Called Human Y. pestis. I even nicknamed my Yveltal Yersinia, after the germ that is most recognized as being responsible for the Black Death. Also if I remember right, a Japanese biologist has something to do with Yersinia pestis so I wouldn't be surprised if GF didn't decide to use Y. pestis as the inspiration for Yveltal on that alone.

I like Aura Trio as a name for them, mainly due to each of them having an Aura ability. Life and Death/Circle of Life would be a close second for me due to what each of their stories is based on.

Also if I remember right, a Japanese biologist has something to do with Yersinia pestis so I wouldn't be surprised if GF didn't decide to use Y. pestis as the inspiration for Yveltal on that alone.

Gonna say this is probably unrelated to Yveltal's development process.

My belief was that the trio was based off the mythical eagle, deer, and snake in Norse mythology....

Well Guys,I'am New Here,So I Only Will Say What I Has See,Here On Brazil,On Nintendo World Pokemon Recent Edition,They Putted All The Legendary Pokemon's History,And On The Magazine,Has An Illustrated Order Of The Legendary Pokemons,And After,The History Of Them,An On His As Been Stated Thing That I Never Has Knowed,Like That Palkia Has Created The Weather Trio,And That The Lake Guardians Trio Has Created Mew(Yes,This Is All Stated On Nintendo World Magazine),And Also,Is Stated That Zygarde,Yvelta,And Xerneas Are A Trio,And Is Called:The Cycle Of Life Trio.

Well Guys,I'am New Here,So I Will Only Say What I Has Saw,Here On Brazil,That Has Recently Released The Nintendo World Pokemon Edition,And On They,Show The Legendary Pokemons History,Since Arceus Birth,And So Also Shows A Illustrated Of Legendary Pokemons Order Of Creation,And After The Writed History,And On They,Is Statade Things I Never Has Realized About The Legendary Pokemons,Like Palkia Has Created The Weather Trio,And That The Lake Guardians Trio Has Created Mew(Yes,This Is Stated On Offical Nintendo World Collection Pokemon Edition(At Least On Brazilian Version))And Also Is Stated That Actually Zygarde,Xerneas And Yveltal Are A Trio,And Is Called The Cycle Of Life Trio,Or Im Portuguese:O Trio Do Ciclo Da Vida.

Back
Top Bottom